3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: long draw bow---need help  (Read 462 times)

Offline themightyjudd

• Trad Bowhunter
long draw bow---need help
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Hey all,

new to the site, need to pick some of your brains.
I draw somewhere around 33" and am looking for a good bow- been looking at 66"blacktail and wes wallace, even thinking about the bob lee prestige 3, but dont know if I am missing out on some good ones.  black widow says that their 64" is good to 33" and I like longbows too---So if any long arm half apes like me have a sweet shooting brand to tell me about I would love to hear.
In the service of The King!

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: long draw bow---need help
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
I've got a Kassai Greyhound on order that's supposed to do 38" without issue, but it's a Hungarian style bow.  Most Kassai can do 36".  I have a severely long draw due to a genetic condition and I found that bows with siyahs were the most accommodating as far as draw length.  My horn bow does that range as well, when I get the guts to try it, but that's a custom and they're generally worth multiple thousands to replace.  It may not be your cup of tea but Hungarian design bows are routinely shot "American style" three under or split.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
I think with your longer draw even with a R/D longbow I would look for a 66" or 68" bow.Maybe give Black Widow a call and or talk to some other bowyers and see what they would recommend with your longer draw?Black Widow has a try it before you buy it.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
My brother has a 32.5 inch draw, and shoots a 64" Black Widow recurve and a 66" BW longbow.  They work real well for him.

I would also recommend that you look into a 66" Toelke Lynx.  Dan Toelke says that they'll handle a pretty long draw, and I know from experience that even beyond my 31" they sure are smooth.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:32:00 AM »
I build a 60" hybrid long bow that will go 33" without a problem. but most of the really long draw guys prefer the 62" model.

Here is something to consider.... All bow designs are different. The straight D shaped long bows require a much longer length to get a decent string angle.

But there are a lot of Hybrid long bows or Reflex/ Deflex (R/D) that will handle long draws and perform superbly for you. The thing you need to watch is the string angle at full draw.

Here is a little drawing that will help. There are two angles that are important to consider. The angle of the string where your fingers are on the string. And the angle of the string coming off the tips. The finger pinch issue is a big one on the first one. The tip angle determines when the bow starts stacking up. once you reach 90 degrees you are at a point where the bow is going to get really hard to draw, and getting off the string clean is going to be tough to do.

Here is an example of a 60" Sasquatch hybrid long bow drawn to 32".  Look at the string angles on this bow.

I invite you to take a look at what Big Foot bows has to offer in more detail. Check out my website, or give me a call if you have further questions.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:05:00 AM »
I designed our bows from the start for long draws because I have one. I know what it feels like to not like the feel of bows that shorter draw people can draw just fine. Take a look at our website or Facebook page that is updated almost daily.Mike

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 05:38:00 AM »
Our 64" Recurve will do it easly.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
Some really tops bowyers have already chimed in.  I for one can vouch for Kirks ability to squeeze performance out of a design with my recent acquisition of a Flatliner.  

Some others to consider would be a Stewart Slammer prolly 62-64"+, a 58" Big Jim Thunderchild if you want a 'short' handy longbow, a Toelke 64" SS, or a 62" Centaur.  But again, give Kirks bows a hard look.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Checkout my 64" Longbow.  Draw's smooth out to 33".

www.tenbrookarchery.com/longbows

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Judd, looks like you are getting a lot of options. That lefty Tenbrook looks real good.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline ncheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
70" Bamabow Hunter!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men
do nothing."

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
I have shot both Toelke, and Bigfoot Bows (Kirk). I draw 32" and would not hesitate to ask either bowyer to build me a bow if I drew 33".
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
My draw is similar to yours. We know the real meaning of finger pinch! And some other problems. A whole lot of things don't apply to us when it comes to set-up.
Strings and rests wear faster than other peoples, the bow takes a pounding. Noise is challenge. String slap needs addressed. Arrow charts are would be funny if they weren't so frustrating. You'll need a little more brace height to keep the string off your wrist upon release and stabilize the bow.
The arrows are almost as big of a problem as the bow! I use the full length 33" Traditional Only 300 from Three Rivers. Forget about wood arrows. (Someday I'll foot some or try something like that)
My bow is a Black Widow PCHX 60". Marked 51@29". It's about 60 lb at my draw. The PCH has a very short riser and long working limb. Honestly is is excellent for no stack draw all the way out. Sometimes I draw my other bows just so I can appreciate the Widow. I have been through a lot of bows and this is  the one I will be using for a long time.
Sometimes I play around with facing my chest a little towards the target. It shortens my draw just a tad and seems to give me some accuracy and settle the bow down.
A huge benefit to the longer draw…incredible penetration! I'm not sure what all the fuss is about single bevel heads…etc. 3 blade VPA or woodsman will easily pass through at hard angles. I have taken 1/4ing to shots recently with great results.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
I like static tip recurves for my long draw. They don't stack at our draw like other bows do. In particular the Toelke 64 Super Static.

Welcome to the over 80 inch wing span club. The bow will be easy to find. Arrows are harder
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
You guys can complain about finger pinch, but man, you must get awesome speed and penetration ! my question, arrow shafts only come in 32" lengths, do you build extensions ????
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
Y'all are making me feel really good about my 30" draw!

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
At 38" kyudo draw, and 36" Mongolian, yes, I build my own arrows.  There are carbons up to 44" for kyudo but they are incredibly expensive.  Most of mine are bamboo.  I'm trying to get set up to foot wooden arrows, and if my health cooperates I might make small batches available, but currently bamboo dominates my shooting, though I'm waiting on a set of carbons to work on.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
This may sound crazy but my oldest son pulls a 58" Big Jim TC to 32.5", he loves to shoot the TC.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Lots of xx78s still ship over 33", you're right that arrows are a lot harder than bows. I shoot 2117s full length at 33.25" out of my 60" Sasquatch.
Thom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©