3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: proper bow storage  (Read 371 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
proper bow storage
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
I saw a photo of a bow with the string on it backwards and leaning against a wall. I assume it was leaning so a photo could be taken. I was always told never to flip the string on a recurve and hook the top loop on the top limb and store it that way.

When I mentioned that the bow was strung backwards some one posted that it was OK to store a bow that way.

What are your thoughts on storing a recurve bow with the string on it backwards.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: proper bow storage
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
Mine are hanging that way. The string is just shy of reaching the tips without causing the limbs to bend very much at all. Really just enough to keep it taut. I'm curious as to what others say.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
The bows I shoot are strung, and hang on a peg. Bows that don't get shot much..........they are unstrung and hang from a peg.   :archer:

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
I have a K-Mag that I have done that with sense 1972 and have never had a problem . I wouldn't do that with a long bow though .
Will add that I would never stand it in a corner , I always would support it horizontally .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
Bows I shoot are strung and hang from 2 horizontal pegs from the string , unstrung same way but on the limbs,keeps them flat and limbs from twisting.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Sounds like i need to hang mine.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
My horn bow lives strung in a hot box, and my Scythian is strung and on a shelf in the closet.  You couldn't hurt the Scythian with anything less than thermonuclear war, but I still keep mine horizontal.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
Mightyfox, how do you store yours?

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
Mine is a grayling bear super kodiak. its strung backwards (no tension on the string) standing in the closet. If that's hurting my bow id like to know. she means a lot to me and would be hurt if something happened to it.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
I was always taught to unstring a bow if you did not shoot it daily and hang it horizontally on two pegs attached to an interior wall. That way the limbs would not be under any stress during storage and the interior wall is not as subject to any extreme temperature changes as a wall exposed to the sun would be.

I have always wanted to hang mine vertically from pegs, but the thought that gravity could effect tiller has prevented me from doing so long term.

NEVER store a bow by leaning it in a corner or against the wall for any length of time.

I believe I read most of that from a Bear Archery "how to care for your new Bow" owners manual... But it was a LONG time ago.

Hope this helps and All the Best,

Stump
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Good to know. My bow is about 44 years old and id like to have it awhile. Thanks for the info guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©