3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HELP!! Bought a 2014 bear td riser - my limbs dont fit!  (Read 547 times)

Offline Calmb4tehPwn

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
HELP!! Bought a 2014 bear td riser - my limbs dont fit!
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Nightmare!
I bought a 2014 black maple futurewood riser from 3rivers. It came in today, and none of my limbs fit it! I asked them specifically to open a couple so I could choose a specific riser, and I love it, so I'd like to avoid sending it back. Is there a fix? Is this a known issue, or do I have a bad riser?

I have a vintage white glass limb set, and two sets of Paul Schafer limbs and one of the Schafer bottom limbs fits, but it's so tight that I won't be latching it again.

I can't see in there very well, but I don't think the limb is fitting far enough into the socket, so the fitting screw doesn't line up with the hole in the limb. I thought maybe the latch spring screw was in the way, but one of the Paul Schafer limb sets has a deeper notch, and there's clearance between the notch in the limb and latch spring retaining screw. So it isn't that.

Anyone have an idea better than send it back to 3rivs?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HELP!! Bought a 2014 bear td riser - my limbs dont fit!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Call them, maybe they have run into this issue before.  It may be the limbs, it may be the riser.  It could be.....gulp..... user error     :rolleyes:    .  Too many variables here to tell.

Also maybe someone close has other limbs you can try to see if that makes a difference.

One thing I do not recommend is to make permanent adjustments or changes to ANYTHING until you speak to 3 rivers.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
Check to see if the small hex screw that holds the spring-latch mechanism to the riser is screwed in far enough.

This has been ask before on here.

Offline Calmb4tehPwn

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
As I said, one set of limbs has clearance over the small latch hex screw, and still they dont fit.

Can you link some of the other times this has been asked, or remember solutions aside from tighten the hex screw?

My searches have been fruitless and have turned back no actually hard solutions.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Take the small latch screw out and then try them. Then you'll know for sure what's going on.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
I meant the locator pin screw. It's a Phillips screw.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
Take a dremmel and elongate the hole on the limbs , I had to do the same thing to one of my set, no big deal.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I took my dremmel and ground off the edges of the locator pins(made them smaller in diameter)then they fit fine.

Offline Calmb4tehPwn

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Okay, so before I realized the issues wasn't with the latch spring screw, I attempted to tighten it down. It was slow going, and felt pretty tight in there, but I figured it was just a tight screw and kept going. Well, I snapped the screw. I'm not worried about this voiding any return policy, because I've decided not to return it. I had them open a few risers so I could pick my favorite, and it is my favorite. It's not going back.

So, I need to fix this myself. I've found that the limbs will fit if I force them, the locator limbs are just a millimeter or so.short of fitting properly, so I plan to file down the locator screws.

But now I need to figure out a way to get the bottom half of this screw stuck in the latch spring hole. It's too tight to drill it out, so I could super glue the top half of the screw back on and hope it holds enough to pull it out, or I can try and file a canal across the top of the break and put a flathead in there.

Do you think gluing the top half back.on would work?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
No,glue won't work.I would get it to a professional if you don't want more damage.

Offline Calmb4tehPwn

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Any suggestions on a professional? A bow professional? I don't know who would be able to remove this best
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Anyone who has a set of small easyouts can do it. Know any machinists?

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
Similar situation but with a firearm, not a bow.  I snapped off a small screw inside of the weapon.  I took it to a machine shop and they extracted the piece of screw that was left in the hole and then ran a tap down inside to clean out the threads. Took them 15 minutes while I waited and they charged me $25.00.  It would have cost more than that to send it back.

Offline Calmb4tehPwn

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
Found a local machinist willing to help me out. I'm heading over tomorrow morning.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
How about a pic of the riser for us to drool over?

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Calmb4tehPwn:
Found a local machinist willing to help me out. I'm heading over tomorrow morning.
Let us know how it turns out. I'm interested to see how they go at it.     :)
Live and let live.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
Check to be sure the alignment screw fit into the hole in the limb.
John

Offline Calmb4tehPwn

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Oh, I didn't even think to take a moment and revel in the beauty of this bad boy.

http://imgur.com/a/3p5Se

So I started buying bear td gear two weeks ago. Here's the family.

A bear A mag riser (sold pending payment)
New bear 2014 black maple riser (chosen for its even grain, bright red stripe and nice birthmarks)
35# white glass bear limbs
45# black glass, white tip bear limbs
56# Brandon Stahl with black and red laminated tips (which match the red and black glass on the riser)
66# Paul Schafer mismatched limbs retillered by Paul
68# Paul Schafer matched limbs with rosewood tips

I'm proud of my gets. I can't shoot anything higher than 45# yet, but as you can see, I've got plans to.

I think I've sunk... $1350 so far. I think it's the start of a nice collection.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Calmb4tehPwn

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Well, I took it to the local machinist, and they were not super helpful. Ultimately the guy (who was not interested in being helpful) said that between gettigng everything set up for it, and the tight spot the screw is in, he just didn't want to do it. But if I really want to push forward with it, he could see about getting it done for a couple hundred dollars.

I walked away.

I'm taking a screw extractor and a dremel to it. As long as I don't do anything absurd, I can't hurt the bow. I might scar the inside of the spring pocket, but ultimately, who cares? I got futurewood, and the riser I wanted. I'm not interested in resale value, and putting the work into it myself will foster a stronger bond with my bow. I'll appreciate it more.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
If nothing is obstructing the limb butts from reaching all the way to the base of the latch mechanism, then it seems like they may have drilled the limb alignment hole just a tad off at the factory.  

As already said, you can file that alignment screw down a little, maybe just taking a little off the leading top edge to make it easier to seat the limb over it.  Or, you can replace it with a smaller head screw.  Or, you can take the alignment screw out entirely.  Lots of folks say it's not needed.

My solution for one set of older limbs on a newer riser was to just lightly  sand the butts of the limbs. Didn't take off much more than the varnish, but they fit nice and tightly after that. Good luck.

P.S.  If you have enough broken screw shaft sticking out to cut a flat slot, go for it.  If not, a tiny drill (to make a pilot hole) and a very small easy out should work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©