3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is anyone else prefer hunting small game to big game?  (Read 448 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Is anyone else prefer hunting small game to big game?
« on: June 04, 2014, 03:39:00 AM »
Deer hunting for me and my family is a very focused and goal oriented endeavor. A have a limited amount of time to fill my freezer for meat for the rest of the year, as this is all we eat. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my time in pursuit, learning the animal to the point of being about to predict its path, its mood and ultimately experiencing a change in myself as the days grow colder and days shorter.

But with all the time, effort and money I have spent in persuit of deer and hogs, the squirrels and rabbits plague me. I would likely hang up my broadheads for good in exchange for judo tips and forest full of squirrel and rabbit if hunting was my only goal.

Any other dedicated small game enthusiast out there. Who don't hunt small game as a filler between deer but as a main pursuit?
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is anyone else prefer hunting small game to big game?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
I'll head for the woods after deer and it can quickly turn into a squirrel hunt. I like shooting arrows and I release a lot of them hunting small game than I do deer.

I do believe that most archers should start w/ small game and work into the bigger stuff. Small game hunting is a great way to relieve some of those jitters one gets when a deer is w/in range.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
Although I've hunted deer and elk, for most of my 66 years it's been small game that has been my hunting pleasure.  Squirrels, armadillo, rabbits (cotton and jack), porkupine, grouse, partridge, pheasant, etc.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
I love a good squirrel hunt, and that's what a lot of my deer hunts turn into.  There used to be a lot of rabbits my way, but the disappeared with the coyotes.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Not sure if I . . Prefer. . small game, but I sure like chasing the little critters too.  Lots of fun there that few others chase, I believe, mainly cause there is only so many days to the deer season and the seasons overlap.  
ChuckC

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
I much prefer the actual hunt of small game. It's just a darn fun day in the field. I hunt bigger stuff too for the meat, but small game is where my heart lies.  In fact, I've built my entire arrow and tuned it to my bow specifically so I can shoot my two favorite small game heads, a Judo point and RFA Talon.  Then because I wanted a heavier front for deer/hogs I added a stiffer spine and added a 100gr insert and footing to bring the front up to 250gr total weight while using only 125gr screw in points.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
I love squirrel and rabbit hunting, especially when they wind up in a cast iron skillet with gravy and dumplings.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
I'll take whatever is available to hunt. I love game, and shooting my long bow.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline LostWyoTradShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by nightowl1:
Deer hunting for me and my family is a very focused and goal oriented endeavor. A have a limited amount of time to fill my freezer for meat for the rest of the year, as this is all we eat. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my time in pursuit, learning the animal to the point of being about to predict its path, its mood and ultimately experiencing a change in myself as the days grow colder and days shorter.

But with all the time, effort and money I have spent in persuit of deer and hogs, the squirrels and rabbits plague me. I would likely hang up my broadheads for good in exchange for judo tips and forest full of squirrel and rabbit if hunting was my only goal.

Any other dedicated small game enthusiast out there. Who don't hunt small game as a filler between deer but as a main pursuit?
I would agree. Rabbit, squirrels and upland game birds have always been a favorite, and nice additions to the table.   And with the longer seasons and less pressure, there is a lot more time for enjoyment.
Paul

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
spending long summer afternoons stalking groundhogs is damm hard to beat for nonstop fun...........too bad most of the farms I used to hunt now have houses on them..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I admit, I'm an opportunist!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Other than sheep I spend the bulk of my time chasing grouse.  I enjoy all big game hunting....but really get excited when I bust a bunch of birds up and get the chance to get after them.

They're not really people shy so they don't fly far normally.....the ruffies will go a ways.

I used to hunt hares, my buddy loved eating them, I couldn't stand them.  He PCS'd out so I stopped.  Sure wish I could find a good recipe.  Havent seen any real good hare years now for a few years, they should be coming back.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
I get limited hunting time, and small game often fits the bill for me; less investment in scouting, chance to shoot, less work after a kill.
Jim

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
I think squirrel hunting is a little more action packed than deer hunting because of the limit on deer.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
I'm a Bow Hunter.  It does not matter what the species (Big or Small) is, as long as it is legal, I'm gonna figure a way to hunt it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Bowhunting to most people meens big game. To me it meens hunting with a bow. I will put squirrels and rabbits right up with anything. I tried to put together a squirrel hunt with the trad guys at Muskegon County  Bowmans but no interest. I thought it would be fun like the bunny stomp that the MTB puts together at Elm Hall. I still think it's a good idea

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
I'm a Bow Hunter.  It does not matter what the species (Big or Small) is, as long as it is legal, I'm gonna figure a way to hunt it.
DITTO!!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
I started on rabbits when I lived in MO in the 1950's.  Now live in Nevada, and love deer, elk and antelope hunting (when drawn), but they are up to 7 hours drive.  Rabbit-15 minutes.  Lots of action.  I stalk them like deer, spot them in sage or along irrigation ditches and go for them.  We have fed a bunch of needy folks too.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
I love the desert cottontails, too.  No horns, and not much meat, but man, I LOVE the drag!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
I tried to get into big game hunting with the bow. Gave myself years of trying. Killed a few pigs and deer. Became a better hunter from it but ultimately my bow is used for rabbits, dove, squirrel and frogs now. In fact I'm selling my big game set up to go to just small game and target.

I will probably take some of the same cross country trips chasing those often overlook quarry as most people do for their bigger neighbors. Ultimately its about the adventure and simplicity of life for me anyway. Can't get much simpler than a small game license and a quiver full of judos.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©