3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I could not believe I missed.......but it turned out OK!  (Read 1578 times)

I could not believe I missed.......but it turned out OK!
« on: June 04, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
Well, after reading Whip and centaurs stories, it looks like muffing a shot on a bear was pretty common this year! I swear that tree was not there when I let go!!!!!!    :knothead:    :knothead:    

Here is my story of one of the most exciting days I have ever had afield! I'll tell the story of the whole hunt, but you have to wait till I get to day five for the really good stuff!

I went on a 6 day bear hunt in Alberta. We were in a camp about 2 1/2 hrs NW of Edmonton. The camp was fantastic and very satisfying. I was the only trad shooter in camp, so I had to break in the main tent on the first day!

On day one I sat a stand called Silly Knot. I had 5 bear sightings of 3 different bears that evening. The only one that would give me a good shot was just a bit small so I gave him a First Day Pass. Day two found me again in Silly Knot and not a bear was seen that day. This is a picture of the view from Silly Knot, and the bear that got the First Day Pass:

On day 3, I was moved to a stand called Pinky's. About an hour after I got on stand I caught some movement to the left. It was 2 yearling cubs that came running into the bait. A couple minutes behind them was a very nice sow. She came in and was never really comfortable. She paced back and fourth in front of the bait like she was on guard duty. After about 20 minutes she finally left, taking one of the little ones with her. After another 5 minutes or so, the 2nd little one looked up with a very surprised look on his face. It was like he was totally consumed in the bait and never noticed the other two leave. He then sauntered off in the same direction that the first two had left.

I was sitting in my treestand telling myself how cool it was to be seeing the bears and thinking about my possible prospects to come when all of a sudden I heard branches breaking to my left. It was quite noisy and only took a second or two for the cause to be revealed. The two yearlings had scurried up a tree, the whole 50' to 60' to the top. Now I was wondering "why did she make them go up the tree?".

About 2 minutes later, all heck broke loose a bit farther to my left. There were branches breaking, and bears growling, and more crashing and cracking. I could just catch glimpses of black through all the trees as this was going on. Then a minute later all was quiet again. Immediately, I caught movement to the left, on a trail coming into the bait. I assumed it was the sow coming back in.

When he walked out, he took my breath away! This bear was massive. He walked out in front of the bait barrel, and it disappeared behind him. He had every characteristic of a big bear that I was told to look for:

1. Stands taller than the barrel - Check
2. Big round head with little ears that were out to the side - Check
3. Wobbled when he walked, and was pigeon toed - Check
4. No neck - Check

This was for sure a bonafide big bear. He walked right in front of the bait and stopped a little quarted away. He was about 18yds. I began to draw and as my string hand was nearing my face, he decided to stand up on his hind legs and look around. I had to let down. I thought to myself "No problem! He will get down in a minute and I will shoot him then.". Just about then, the sow came charging in from the left. The big bear came down and immediately walked off to the right just far enough that I could not shoot. He paced around a bit and even came right to the base of my tree. He then acted like he was going to go back to the bait, but the sow was acting contanquerous. As he turned to walk off, I thought I could hear him thinking "I don't want to mess with you (the sow) today!". He lumbered off into the woods to my right, and I think I may have shed a tear or two. The cranky sow stayed around for another 30 minutes before finally calling the little ones down out of the tree and leaving the area. This is the view from Pinky's stand. I never had time to try to get a pic of the bruiser!

Got to go now, but will add more, including the exciting part in a while.

Bisch

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I could not believe I missed.......but it turned out OK!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
:coffee:    :coffee:
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
:campfire:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
Great start Bisch!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
Nice start Bisch! Take your time buddy, you know some of us like the long version of the story.   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
Here is a pic of my bow hanging in the tree while on guard at Pinky's stand:

More to come!

Bisch

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »
:campfire:  bear hunting is definatly my passion in the woods. might have to get a tree stand one day instead of S/S and natural blinds.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:22:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 04:13:00 AM »
On the edge of my seat...

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:44:00 AM »
Good start to the hunt Bisch......   :campfire:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
Glad too see ya still around, the rest please!!,!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
Don't make us wait too long now, Bisch!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

I was sitting in my treestand telling myself how cool it was to be seeing the bears and thinking about my possible prospects to come when all of a sudden I heard branches breaking to my left. It was quite noisy and only took a second or two for the cause to be revealed.
:scared:  
don't scare me like that bisch. i was thinking to myself, "if bisch could hear it, it must be in the tree hanging off his stand".  
  :jumper:  

as for the title. i can.   :jumper:  

keep it coming buddy. looking forward to the rest of the story.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Uh oh. Will be waiting
TGMM Family of The Bow

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sockrsblur:
Nice start Bisch! Take your time buddy, you know some of us like the long version of the story.    :bigsmyl:  
No way I could ever draw this out the way you can!   :thumbsup:

Bisch

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ozy clint:
 don't scare me like that bisch. i was thinking to myself, "if bisch could hear it, it must be in the tree hanging off his stand".  
     :scared:        :scared:  

And btw, Clint,  I have an excuse for the misses while I was over there in Australia! It's hard to hit anything when you are upside down!  

Bisch

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm back! Where was I? Oh yeah, BIIIIIIG bear at Pinky's stand. Well the outfitter told me that the bear I was describing was like a legend up there. They think he is 20+ years old and probably 500-600lbs. He told me if I had shot that bear that I could have just retired from bear hunting because I am not likely to ever shoot another one better than him!

Day 4 found me back at Pinky's stand hoping the big bruin would show himself again. He did not, and neither did any other bears! Day 4 was a bust!

The next morning, Day 5, I was approached by one of the other hunters who told me that he had been sitting a stand for the last couple days that had multiple bears coming to it. This man was a seasoned bear hunter and was looking for a big bear. He told me that there were several boars worthy of shooting, but that he was not going to shoot them. He then said, if I wanted, he was going to talk to the outfitter and have them put me in that stand. I told him I was good with that.

Now, I did a lot of reading and video watching before going bear hunting. The one thing I was a little uneasy about was a bear climbing up the tree I was sitting in. Well, just a little while later, the outfitter came to me and told me "Bisch, we are going to put you at Ravine today. There is a REAL aggressive sow there and there is a good chance you may get a bear up your tree. Do you think you can handle that?". I told him that I was up to the task, not really believing him anyway. This was my second bear hunt and I had yet to have a bear anywhere near my tree!

The afternoon rolled around and we all loaded up to go to the stands. Ravine was a bit farther away from camp, so we had to drive in the truck for quite a ways, then get out and do the last part on the 4-wheeler. When we got out of the truck, the outfitter asked me if I had phone service. I did. He then told me if I shot a bear, to let them know ASAP, because if it went down into the canyon, they would not track it in the dark.

Off we went to the stand. Ravine was aptly named! The stand was on a flat area, but 50yds out the bottom dropped out, and the canyon was deep. Immediately when arriving, I noticed that the bait site had been torn up bad. There was also lots of bear droppings in the area. This looked really good. I climbed up into my stand, which was about 14yds from the bait, and settled in. The guide left and I pulled out my phone to take a pic of the bait. Here is the view from Ravine:

Right after I took that pic is when I noticed that I did not have phone service where the stand was located! Oh, well, I just decided if I shot one early, I would just sit and wait and see what happened. After all, I did have 2 bear tags in my pocket!

Bisch

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Disclaimer: There are not many pics of the events that unfold next! Both of my hands were tightly clinched on the can of bear spray for a good part of the next several hours!

It is my one regret that I did not have enough guts to take my hands off the bear spray and pull out my phone to take a couple pics of what unfolded next!

Bisch

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
ooohh.....I think you had a close encounter!!  Let's hear more.  Those mean old sow's can test your nerves.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©