3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: beginning to get frustrated..  (Read 263 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
beginning to get frustrated..
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
I purchased some string building materials a few weeks ago and have tried my hand at making a few flemish strings.  I, for the life of me, can NOT get the back twist down.  It is to the point that i am getting a little frustrated with building a string, as I have one string I have redone the second loop around 10 times doing something different every time and I can't get the back twist right.  The string just doesn't blend together.  Not to mention the string always comes in 2 or more inches shorter than what I want it to.  I made a jig to the precise measurements and just assumed that mine would work like his(LBR), but it doesn't... lol.  

Anyone have any advice?  

I have heard count the number of twists it takes you to get back to straight after your first loop and that should be about how many you need to have.  I have tried this several times, and still can't get it.  

Please tell me what you do after completing the first loop as far as back twists.  I am currently trying to build a b50 string for my bow fishing bow, but will also be building with bcy-x.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: beginning to get frustrated..
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
I've built just about every bit of archery equipment and many more things involving hunting you could imagine.Many say I'm really talented LOL,but for the life of me I couldn't master the Flemish string.For the price our sponsors charge for a first rate string I don't lose one bit of sleep.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:57:00 AM »
You can always make endless loop strings.  They're EASY!  (And they use the same materials so you haven't wasted your money.)
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
Have to agree with Steve. Built enough strings to satisfy my curiosity but is easier to order a quality string. It is frustrating a bit at first but you will get it! Good luck.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
The key to a back twist. After you build the first loop and straighten out the strands, put in the back twist the same number as your first twist. For a 14 strand string thats 34 the way I do it. now after your second loop is made strighten out the two strings, I take a clamp and place it directly in the middle of the string and twist one end 19 times, then I twist from the other end 19 times. This gives the string equal twists and prevents cabling on one end. I learned it from Oliverstacey.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
I'm not close to Chad by any stretch!

I have a jig I made before Chads first video on an older video close to 20 years ago now.  It works but the measurements were off a skosh, wish I would keep notes ha!  Heck back than backtwists didn't exist and we built strings out of rubber bands...I mean b50 LOL!

Ok ok, joking aside.   I count but find I have to throw in a few more backtwists before I start the 2nd loop  Like T's saying, take the twists out so they're straight than add your back twists.   I don't do the end to end thing.   But I do make sure the area where the 2nd loops going to be is free of those backtwists or at least the bulk of them.

I come out off a few times depending on what I'm doing.  I find a 15 strand d97 I'm usually close.  Its the stretch and creep I'm getting with the skinnies I have to rebuild more than a few times.

KEEP GOOD NOTES! LOL!!!!  once you figure it out, write everything down.  better yet, write it down as you go.

Take BOTH loops out and start over every time until you get it!!! Or your info for a correct string is only correct after you rebuilt it a few times, not from the first go.

The trick is getting it right and than stretching and having it be where you want.  I don't know if you're stretching or not but you should imho!  It makes life easier.

Lastly if it cables a little who cares it will work fine.   If you watch as you're twisting up the 2nd loop you can tell if you have enough/too much as you're building it.  If you don't have enough, stop, unwrap, untwist, than backtwist again adding a few more.   Keep at it, you'll get it.  

Or just do as Rob does and do an endless loop and be done with the nonsense  ;) .

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
That's why I tie a bowyers knot(timber hitch) on the bottom of my strings. If the string is too long, I shorten it. If too short, I lengthen it, all by retying the knot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
DanielB89,

Sometimes the phone is easier...   :)

I have helped hundreds of folks with string making issues. Once you get it, you got it.

Send me a PM and perhaps we can arrange to chat on the phone.  Todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
I have made quite a few and I think I can help but I am a little unsure at what point you are getting stuck.

I read your message and this is what I am GUESSING.  You twist enough length to make a loop.   And the problem is closing the loop and finishing off the twists.   Is that right?

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
Can't say as I like making strings got a buddy that does, but I made a couple using the DVD "Doing The Twist" they worked you might get it for instructional purposes??
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
Between the flemish string jig that 3 Rivers sells, and their DVD, "Crafting Traditional Flemish Strings", I managed to eventually make two and three bundle strings.  To be sure, there was some frustrated cussing and some wasted B-50, before I got there, but I got there.

My problem is that I appear to have the attention span of a newt. I make several strings, then lay-off for several months--and I have to go right back to that video, resume the frustrated cussing, wasted B-50, but I eventually get there.

Then, I lay-off for several months.....

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
I successfully made a string that meshed together well.  It was with B50, which i had to do for an older bow I have. Which has lead me to a few more questions.  

1. should i have to add more or less back twist with B50 or with the bcy-x? I had to put around 45 back twists in the string to get it to work out and this string was only 47" long.  

2. Also, i continue to miss the length.  I rigged up a form of a stretching jig today(rope, weights, etc, lol) and was able to stretch this string about 2" to make it reach length.  

I am making the first loop and then measure where ot start the second loop(just like LBR(Chad)) does in his video.  But it always comes out a little short.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
I'm with you on this Daniel! I cannot figure out that back twist either. I finally just gave up and now have a buddy make my strings. I can make one in a pinch, no that is not right, I usually make at least two to get one the correct length!

Bisch

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 12:46:00 AM »
If the back twists are boggering you up, get close and be happy....the string will shoot fine.

I cant build strings like Chad does, I cant count past 4 LOL!  seriously I didn't give it a fair shake down but the few times I tried I was all thumbs.  I know it works, he builds more strings in a day than most of us build in a year or 3.  

I build off a jig and measure everything, only to forget what I did months later when its time to build more LOL.

B50 stretches like a rubber band, have fun.  Honestly I prefer to be just a skosh short after I stretch it.  Don't over stretch it or it will really go short on you, Hopefully Chad chimes in on this part.   B50 never stops moving.   Which is fine if you're prepared for it.  

If you're just a little short, you can likely stretch it out or a combo of untwisting and stretching.  

Every string builder is different, how many backtwists I do may not even be close to what works for you.  I have to add a bunch, and than for kicks add a few more.  If I untwist say 30, and I back twist 30, it wont work for me.   I have to add 4 or 5 more in the backtwisting to get it to lay right.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 03:11:00 AM »
Here's a quick video that I did on how I prefer to build flemish strings. I haven't watched it since I posted it last, but I think I covered the back twist.

If you've got any questions, pm me and I'll give you my number.

Aloha!

Ryan K Sanpei

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
got a question...

How many strands do i need for a b50 string for a #45 recurve?  I currently have an 18 strand and i only 1 size serving and with an 18 strand string, my nocks barely fit on it.  

could a 12 strand work?  I would still pad the loops.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©