3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rock Climbing Harness? BOUGHT A BLACK DIAMOND  (Read 1025 times)

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Rock Climbing Harness? BOUGHT A BLACK DIAMOND
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
Hello All,

After having researched all the various brands of Safety Harnesses, and reading lots of threads about it here on TG, I've decided I'd like to try a Rock Climbing Harness.

Could someone recommend a brand they like? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Paul
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Jhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rock Climbing Harness? BOUGHT A BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
I have never used on for hunting but I used to climb in college.  Black Diamond makes good climbing equipment at an affordable price.  I would buy the cheapest one available.

I am sure you have done your research, but if you fall you will not be as stable using a climbing harness.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
I was at one time a very active sport climber.  i am also a certified tower climber.  both have different types of requirements and equipment.  and i would not recommend using a climbing harness to secure yourself to a tree for hunting.  

the rear attachment for a hunting tree stand harness will allow for better recovery if you were to fall while on stand.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline pybucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Tall Tines 62" 52# @ 28"
Tall Tines 62" 52# @ 28"

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
take a look at "compliance in a can" harness.  I have used them on roofs a lot and can be quite comfy.  the also have the rear attach point.  they also have a bungie tag line.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
shoot straight shoot often

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
I used to do a lot of rock climbing too.  The most dangerous fall we could take would be if we hit a ledge or the ground (obviously).  However, the next most dangerous fall was one that was close to the belay, before enough rope was fed out to cushion the fall.  The forces of stopping abruptly after 6' or so of freefall are severe enough to break bones and dislocate joints.  All the falls you would be likely to take from a tree stand would be in this second danger category.  All harnesses that I know of that are specifically designed for tree stands have built in screamers, meaning webbing that is sewn together in such a way that it rips apart when a hunter falls and cushions the impact.  Climbing harnesses are designed for longer falls, where this isn't necessary because there is enough rope out to cushion the impact (unless you hit a ledge, of course), or your belayer is hopefully going to ease the brake on to accomplish the same purpose.  So if you're going to use a climbing harness for hunting, be sure to buy a screamer and build it into the system, since it won't be an integral part of the climbing harness.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!  There is a learning curve to this.

McDave-thanks for the info. I see what you mean: with more rope out, you have a cushioning effect. What I hope to do is keep a tight line between me and the tree, so that I don't fall any distance.

I hope!

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
ttt

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I am not a climber, but I do have a bit of experience in the tree stand department.  From my view, the two were designed for different purposes and should not be switched.  

I believe all or most climbing belts have the goods in front, while tree stand harnesses have the goods in back,  That is for a reason.  

Unless you are using a tree sling style stand, the stuff in front is gonna be a pain, get in the way, and very soon you won't be wearing it.

My thoughts are. .  use a tree stand safety harness when bow hunting, one designed for its intended use.

ChuckC

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
Metolius Safe Tech.  All loops are weight baring.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
I wound up ordering a rock-climbing harness called the Black Diamond Couloir that pybucks recommended. It weights 8 oz, and goes on in under 30 seconds.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-harnesses/couloir-harness-BD651039_cfg.html?gclid=CjkKEQjwqsCcBRDt7_Gts5a91YYBEiQAm-wYEWxjwWn_r_YxzKx2RBziLCvBtISshUXwYGMRnyyRLeXw_wcB

With a rock-climbing harness, if you fall, you'll be facing the tree, instead of having your back to the tree.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
And it is difficult to turn around ?

ChuckC

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
I found this youtube video of a guy using a climbing harness interesting.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
you can use a basic treestand harness and achieve the no fall at all game.   Your first ascents going to be the climbing rope to hang the rope with the prusik,  after that run up and down with the Prusik .   Have it high enough you can sleep standing, though I don't recommend it you get my point.   I generally have mine high enough I can lean forward into it a little and come tight.  Makes falling asleep no big deal or falling out, your arms will still be above the level of the platform.

Just watched the video...shooting with that on looks like it would be a royal pain!  

Getting hung up upside down would be another one.  He shows it with no stand, imagine being stuck against that stand feet up LOL!

How long could you sit with a waste and leg belt on before you had issues if you needed help getting out?  I'd think having the shoulders as well would be a big bonus.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Climbing harnesses are not designed to hang in for much more than a few minutes.  If you fell and couldn't get back in the stand you could really mess up you legs.  A climbing harness will slowly cut off circulation as you hang in it.

On a less dramatic note, it would drive me nuts having that rope in front of me while I tried to shoot...

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by gringol:
Climbing harnesses are not designed to hang in for much more than a few minutes.  If you fell and couldn't get back in the stand you could really mess up you legs.  A climbing harness will slowly cut off circulation as you hang in it.

On a less dramatic note, it would drive me nuts having that rope in front of me while I tried to shoot...
Wow. I think if you did a little research, you would find every word of that is false.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 04:35:00 AM »
I guess to each his own.  I use the climbing harness and feel safer in the tree than I have with any treestand harness.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
awbowman, what are you using to attach harness to the safety line/tree? I am looking at a couple options.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
I use a strap on the tree.  The kind that comes with a treestand harness.  I take some 11mm rope (about 10') and tie a figure 8 knot on each end.  This will make you an 8' or so length rope.  One end goes through the strap and one in a lock gate Carabenier. Id say the strap is chest level.  You will have to see what works for you.  I'm only 5'-8".  Taller may need more rope
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©