3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rock Climbing Harness? BOUGHT A BLACK DIAMOND  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rock Climbing Harness? BOUGHT A BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
I used the Black Diamond Couloir all last season..really like the weight 8oz.

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
I've used climbing harnesses for years. No problem whatsoever shooting with it. I also rig it so I won't fall more than a few inches. And you'll notice...you are facing the tree which makes recovery a lot easier.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help!

I found a source for complete rope systems,  and prussic hitch ropes, made by a bowhunter.

http://safetreehunt.com/

I just ordered a Linemans belt/Climber stand setup, that will keep you attached to the tree the entire time.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Shotkizer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
I switched over from a fall restraint to the Black Diamond Momentum harness last year.  It's weighs almost nothing and doesn't restrict my shooting from a treestand.  If I fall, I can't go much over a foot before it tightens on me.  I simply love it.  

Make sure you tether in correctly instead of just hooking to your belay loop.

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
Check out this use of a climbing harness.
Sorry for the double post. Didn't see it posted earlier.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Here he is climbing with one stick and his harness

http://www.bayoubucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63409&highlight=harness&page=2  

Notice how comfortable it is to hang with climbing harness.  I know this guy and if it wasn't safe he wouldn't do it.  He has practiced a lot to get his system down pat.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
This is something I have been seriously contemplating myself as well.  I have been using an SOP harness for years,  and during the last couple of years have added a GriGri decender device as my attachment.  It is a nice piece of equipment that allows you to lower yourself safely in the event of a fall without the need to climb back in your stand or use you steps.  But it is designed to be used in front of you instead of behind your head as is necessary with a standard treestand harness.  

I did a little playing last fall to see if having the rope in front of me would be a problem and I really don't think it would bother me at all.  A climbing hamrness would put the GriGri  in front of me where it belongs and I think would make an ultra safe set up.  I do understand the need for a screemer to attach the harness and will look into an option for that.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Rope is not a problem up front Whip.  In fact I can actually lean out if I need.  As long as there is no ice on the stand I feel 100% safe leaning
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
keep your tether as short as possible--what ever harness you use
Mike

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
I've hunted with a black diamond climbing harness for years. If you have a full strength haul loop in the back use it.
Girth hitch tubular webbing or a piece of cordelette to tree.
Carabiner to cordelette with another Carabiner from the cordelette to the full strength haul loop in the back. I use just enough cordelette so when I squat in the stand its snug. I've hung from the tree like this with no problems. I also put foam medical tape around the carabiners so it doesn't make much noise if it contacts my stand.

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Just make sure the harness you have has the full strength haul loop in the back. If it doesn't have the full strength loop don't use it.
What McDave said is right about falling on a short rope. That's why I keep mine a little snug so if I fall it's not as an abrupt stop. Static rope doesn't stretch.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:00 AM »
I'm curious, after watching that video again.

How easy is it to turn hard left (for a righty?) the way he's set up and still shoot.   That ropes right under his pit.  

They are light that is one thing I've noticed as well.   Makes for a light weight system to fly with unlike my current setup.  

I hate to take money from anyone but making a prusik is not hard at all.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 05:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Josh Perdue:
Just make sure the harness you have has the full strength haul loop in the back. If it doesn't have the full strength loop don't use it.
What McDave said is right about falling on a short rope. That's why I keep mine a little snug so if I fall it's not as an abrupt stop. Static rope doesn't stretch.
IMO... tie in on the front--the idea is to end up facing the tree---
 a short tether is exactly what you DO want-to avoid the condition mcdave is referring to--

I personally would NOT tie in with a prussic knot and always tie in directly harness to tree using a tether--NO carabiners or belay devises
  allowing ONLY enough slack to sit or stand---

notice how the fella in the film keeps the tether above his waist--to my eye he never creates a "fall" situation-simple tipping on to his tether[no slack]

Mike

Offline Shotkizer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
"IMO... tie in on the front--the idea is to end up facing the tree---a short tether is exactly what you DO want-to avoid the condition mcdave is referring to--
I personally would NOT tie in with a prussic knot and always tie in directly harness to tree using a tether--NO carabiners or belay devises
allowing ONLY enough slack to sit or stand---
notice how the fella in the film keeps the tether above his waist--to my eye he never creates a "fall" situation-simple tipping on to his tether[no slack]"

X2.  Bamboo is spot on! Also, don't tether to your back haul loop whether it's full strength or not.  Your harness is designed to be tied into from the front.  Talk to a rock climbing instructor at your closest store and relay to him or her what you are trying to do.  They will explain the safest setup.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
Yep always tie up front
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
I just ordered a Black Diamond for myself.
Here is a link to a thread Tippit did about the GriGri device.  
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=110494

It allows you to safely lower yourself to the ground in the event of a fall or a stand failure.  I like the device, but it is designed to be used in front of you rather than behind your head as is required with a standard hunting full body harness.  I never really liked reaching behind me and feeling for the GriGri to operate it.  

The Black Diamond harness will allow me to attach the GriGri in front and I think will be much easier to operate if needed.  If you do decide to add one of these units make sure that you practice with it so that it will be second nature if the time ever comes that your life depends on it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
As a former rock climber and Amg climbing guide I know what I do works. I've tested it in the tree as well. It's always a good idea to have a locking carabiner as a link between the rope and you. Any type of fabric or rope to rope connection will cause heat and friction and can significantly weaken or cut your tether. Falling on an already taught rope and falling on 2-6ft of extra rope or tether are two different things. Go try it then tell me what you think.  
Everyone's different and there are a lot of different ways to do it safely. Just do it safely and be careful.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Agree, I like locking gate caribieners.  They may seem like a pain in the you know what but a life is worth a little extra time and effort.

Done right I believe that this system is better than a full body harness.  Just MY opinion though
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
I hunt a lot out of a climber and the girth hitch to the tree allows you to "walk up the tree" as you climb so your always attached. As I'm climbing I attach to the front loop "belay loop" of my harness but switch to the haul loop once I'm settled in the tree.
So there's no confusion a full strength haul loop is much different than your gear loops on the sides of your harness.

I would suggest to anyone if your going to use a climbing harness for hunting that you cut all the gear loops off your harness so it's impossible to attach to one. One morning in the dark I caught myself connecting to a gear loop and that could have cost me.

A gri-gri is an awesome device if used properly.
Whatever system works best for you just make sure you practice it enough so it's second nature.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©