3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rock Climbing Harness? BOUGHT A BLACK DIAMOND  (Read 1027 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rock Climbing Harness? BOUGHT A BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
I cut the gear loops off too.  They just get in the way for a treestand harness
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
So how are you guys tying in when you hang your stand and when climbing up the tree (talking about hang on not climbing stands)  The climbing harness has a single connection point in the front...either the belay loop or tie in loops.  Neither of those seem like they would work well with a lineman set up as you really need two conection points to make a lineman rope work correctly.   I know you can tie a rope from your stand all the way to the ground and use a purssic knot but you have to get up there to hang the rope the first time and if you typically only hunt a tree one time like I do, that does you no good.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
dark
use 2 locking carabiners one on each side of the main tie off --clipping to the main waist belt
Mike

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Yea, that's what I do Mike.  A homemade linemans's rope with a purrsic to adjust for tree size.  Carabiner on each side.  Then I'll set up the lifeline from tree to the bottom and tie off to there if I'm going to hunt the next day.  If it's one sit, I'll tie off to tree
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
I ran tubular webbing through the waist belt of my Black Diamond Couloir. Tied loops at the ends. Loop my safety belt rope through my right side tubular loop and use caribiners on the left side loop and attach to prusik on climbing belt rope.

I hang loc ons with that setup. Once hung I stay hooked up with safety belt rope just beneath stand and take my tree safety rope which is hooked on my belt loop, off the belt and loop it around tree as high as I can reach above the stand. Then I connect my tether from the front of climbing harness to the prusik  on tree safety rope and only then unhook my climbing belt rope and get into stand sliding prusik up as needed as I go . Reverse on way day.

Attached to tree at all times. I leave the tree safety rope on tree if going to hunt stand again and have made up a bunch of those for my loc-ons.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
Tall Paul- tight to the tree is exactly what I do.  I have no intention of free falling off a cliff like most applications attempt to address.  I used a BD climbing harness for years and had it attached to the front- though I had it laced by velcro release straps around my hip to the back to keep it out of my way.  If I were to lose my balance the rope pulled loose from the velcro straps.  I now use a full body harness using basically the same concept.  Like others mentioned, It is is taunt attached high on the tree.  If I were to fall, I really would not "fall."  I would be hanging with my feet less than 12-18" below the stand. (Besides the taunt hold on my back gives me a point of stability for leaning and shooting)

Good choice
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline brbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Ordered the black diamond..Gonna give it a try....
In search of the perfect tree...

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
Hoyt - Do you have a picture of how you setup your Black Diamond Couloir as informed?

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
Is there a reason why you don't need shower straps?
I have seen guys usin these on the other big name archery forums before. But they was using them with climbing sticks and almost like guidos web kinda deal.them guys had some awesome set ups if you was into that kind of tree stand system.

I'm kinda curious how the fall goes when wearing a harness that only yours around your waist n leg? Thanks
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zbone:
Hoyt - Do you have a picture of how you setup your Black Diamond Couloir as informed?
Zbone, I don't have any pictures of my setup, but cbigbear1 ...the guy on a couple of videos posted on this thread told me about the system I use. I just use a different model harness than him. Other than that everything is the same except maybe rope dia. sizes. Same tubular webbing run through the harness for climbing belt, etc.

You can see in the videos he has his climbing belt hanging from his right side and the tree safety rope attached to tree and tether, otherwise it would be hanging from his left side going up and down (except for getting in and out of stand).

He hangs his loc ons same way as I described. He told me how. Bout the only difference is I loop my ropes up couple, three times to shorted them up while walking in and out.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
Bringing this back up...

I recently bought a Petzl Pandion harness for some of my tree-stand situations. Specifically, it's going to Alaska with me for use in boreal spruce while moose hunting. I needed something light and quick. I did a lot of homework and found that I didn't want a 'normal' rock harness which has padded belt and extra gear loops. If you think about it, most rock-climbing is done in warm weather and minimal clothing. I needed a low-profile unit which would be easy to fit and wear over the top of somewhat heavier hunting clothes. I found that a harness designed for alpine skiing and mountaineering was better suited for me. They are designed without padding and are much easier to walk in, carry and put on.

I went to a couple REI stores and tried 6 harnesses. None of them was right for what I wanted, but the Couloir by BD was close. The buckle was a bummer, so I ordered a Petzl Pandion. I also bought 30' of Blue Water dynamic rope (30%+ stretch/elongation in a fall) and a small, strong screwgate carabiner. I think I'm set.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
I have looked and did a little reading on this on some other forums. I am still pretty confused on the whole thing. But I really am interested in trying this out.
Can one of you who is really knowledge On this write up a post explaining what is needed how to rig and hook up properly and give names and definitions of the gear?? I know I'm sorry it's allot to ask.  but I would like to learn. Thanks
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
As a note make sure you get a harness with easy adjustable legs and waist.  easy adjusts are usually identified with a thumb imprint on bottom side of adjustment tabs.  

http://www.mec.ca/shop/adjustable/50271/?h=10+50019+50270
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
[/qb][/QUOTE]

I personally would NOT tie in with a prussic knot and always tie in directly harness to tree using a tether--NO carabiners or belay devises
  allowing ONLY enough slack to sit or stand---

notice how the fella in the film keeps the tether above his waist--to my eye he never creates a "fall" situation-simple tipping on to his tether[no slack]
      [/qb][/QUOTE]I am curious what the reason is for not tying in with a prussic knot?  I used a Black Diamond harness last year and really liked it.  I connected to the tree with a rope around the tree with a prussic knot attached to a carabiner on my harness.  I could easily adjust the tension if I was standing or sitting to always keep slack out of my tether.  I just don't want to be doing something that I shouldn't.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
I think the general thinking is that every device which must work in a fall also presents an opportunity for it to fail. More things = more failure odds. Tying directly to tree and harness is obviously the safest method. I suspect most rock climbers wouldn't trust their lives to a prussic hitch, but I'm not a rock climber.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
correct kevin..
..a prussic hitch is an easy knot to tie--that being said its easy to screw up too-especially in the dark-another drawback is you have to take one hand off the tree to slide it up
an ascender will always be easier[safer] to use
 these seem well suited-and over #5000
 http://www.gibbsproducts.com/arborist_models/default.html
with any self belay the secret is to keep lanyards[body lines]as short as possible and above your waist--and your tree line tight
Mike

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
I figure I'm one of the majority who does not use a fixed safety line extending from ground to stand. I climb to my stand and then tie/clip in to a rope secured to the tree. If I have an unplanned exit, the harness (in this case a rock harness) will stop my fall. I don't need a belay device or ascender, as I have no long fixed rope to navigate. I know that a long fixed line is the ultimate safe way to go, but some things are too much weight and aggravation when going ultralight.

One unique thing about rock harnesses is their front attachment. You have to figure how this works with your bowshot, and whether it's an issue having the rope drape over your shoulder or around your side. Also, some harnesses have a more simple loop attachment such as the Pandion I pictured...others require a rope or carabiner to 'catch' (encircle) the main belt and leg belt where they meet. All harnesses are not created equal, and a recreational padded harness for use on a big wall might be ill-suited for a tree hunter.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Kevin - Have you tried the safety rope between you legs?

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Umm...no. I don't think that would work very well if a guy would fall.

The Petzl Pandion seems ideal for hunters. I tried many and ended up with one I really like. I'll use a good carabiner for clipping in and out of the safety line, but that's mainly because I don't want to deal with hand-tied knots in the dark or when it's really cold.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©