3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FOOD FOR THOUGHT. BE CAREFUL AND PREPARED!!!  (Read 496 times)

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
FOOD FOR THOUGHT. BE CAREFUL AND PREPARED!!!
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
I want to share an experience that happened to my brother in law and I back in April while turkey hunting in Ks. We were hunting about a mile apart and had both killed turkeys that morning. He was walking out to get his truck and come pick me up when he looked down and realized he had lost an arrow from his bow quiver. He layed his bow, turkey, and gear down and went back down the deer trail to see if he could find it. The brush on the side of the trail was a foot or so tall. He went about 20 yrds back up the trail when he felt severe pain in his lt lower leg. He had swung his leg into a razor sharp wensel woodsman that penetrated between the tibia and fibula maybe 4-5" below the knee joint. More to come...
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FOOD FOR THOUGHT. BE CAREFUL AND PREPARED!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
It penetrated all the way through the leg so that the tip of the broadhead could be felt under the skin of the calf. Only thing that makes sense is that the nock end of the arrow was on the ground and the bh end got hung on the brush on the side of the trail a foot or so off the ground. Thank God he had his phone and was able to get me. I ran the mile or so to him and quickly assessed him. I have military exerience as well as working in and around er's for the past 20 yrs. He was bleeding steadily, but I could tell he hadn't hit a large artery. I snugged his belt above the knee to help with bleeding and ran for the truck. I was able to get him in the truck before he passed out on me. Thank God the little town has a nice hospital about 6 miles away. This takes awhile to tell, so please bear with me...

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Back to it. Got him to the er and a great old surgeon took great care of him. Broadhead did some damage, but took out no major vessels or major nerves. 2-3" higher and he would have bled to death before I reached him. He is still having lots of nerve pain, but is starting to walk on it slowly after 2 months of rehab and therepy. The last 2 months I have thought alot about what I or he could have done differently. To be honest, nothing to stop it from happening. Complete freak accident. We are both experienced hunters and go out of our way to be safe. Sometimes **** just happens. The one thing I have done is put together a "blow out" kit like I had in the military. Google it. It stays in my truck and will be in my pack everytime i'm hunting. The purpose of the post is just to remind all of us to be prepared and as careful as possible. Take a cell phone with you, let people know where you are. Brush up on first aid skills. I know we can't be prepared for everything, but this incident could have very easily turned out a different way. It scared me and him and made both of us think about how to be more prepared. God bless.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing. Glad it all turned out ok.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Good luck to your Brother In Law and a very congrats to you for keeping a man alive.   :notworthy:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline shdwhwk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
Good to hear he'll recover, thanks for telling the story.

Last year while elk hunting in some reprod, came across a arrow sticking point up with a bent 3 blade modular broadhead which was obviously a missed shot (no blood). It was still quite capable of causing damage - another reason to try to recover your arrows.

Thanks again and best to your brother inlaws recovery

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Glad he is ok, your point is loud and clear and I will defiantly be more aware.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
thanks for the reminder.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
I have heard of several people that did very similar things, including a close friend of mine.  This tells me it is not as "freak" as you might think.  If an arrow falls out or gets snagged and pulled out of the quiver, there is a real good chance that it will be pointed up.

As you said, food for thought.  Be careful chasing after lost arrows, they won't all be laying flat on the trail in full view.
Chuckc

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Good job Fritz. Your diligence to training and clear thinking prevented disaster. Thanks for reminding us to be trained and be prepared, you never know when you will need it.
Rom 1:20

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
Wow! I hope your BIL has a complete recovery.

Bisch

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 03:15:00 AM »
Glad it turned out the way it did. Could have been so much worse. When we get them scary sharp we dont think they could end up in us. Hope he has full recovery.

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
Wow. Could have been really bad if you where not already expierenced.
I have often thought about this at our deer lease.
What would we do. Always have knives, guns, chainsaws, broadheads, lots of ways for an accident to occur.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
Scary!!  Thanks for posting this as a reminder to be prepared!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
I am so thankful for the outcome.

Thank you for sharing.

These kinds of accidents may be unavoidable but our mind-set needs to be.....Always be prepared, even for the worst.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
WOW, what a crazy thing to happen!  Glad he made it, good for you for remaining calm and getting him to safety.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
A kid could have been walking, running that trail the next week and not gotten off as easy as your bil. good thing he went back to find it. Im glad it wasn't worse and kudos to you for saving his life or at least his leg.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  Great job helping him out.  Glad he is OK.  Ken

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Glad he's ok. Thanks for the reminder. The older I get the less I like to hunt alone. Thankfully I have reached a place where my boys (now 33 & 28) take me.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 03:06:00 AM »
Years ago a grizzled old bowhunter was telling me he was stalking deer in the Australian bush.  He was going in for the final stalk and kill, so he took his boots off.  He was concentrating so much on the deer, he knocked the arrow off the rest and it fell down.  He felt just a little prick in his foot, but when he looked down he saw blood everywhere.

It was a long story, but he said by the time he got back to his ute, and drove to a farmstead, he passed out from loss of blood.  If he had been any further out, he would not have been telling me that story.  I always remember his parting words - NEVER hunt with your boots off.

The message hasn't got through (well, here in Australia anyway), because I am always watching hunting videos on youtube and you would not believe how many guys I see stalking in with their boots off - they are mad!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©