3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arm Slap or Back Tension?  (Read 383 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Arm Slap or Back Tension?
« on: September 22, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Well firt let me state I haven't shot in over a week so my back gave out a little faster then normal but anyhoot.

Today I kept getting some nasty arm slap on every shot!  Thats with me standing straight up (target archer).  But when I would hunch over I wouldn't get the wrist slap but I couldn't get proper back tension and I was wobbling all over the place.  With proper back tension I'm solid for a few seconds.  I tried standing straight up and just canting the bow a bit more but then I torque the string and my line is way off.

I also checked my brace height and I'm at 7 1/2 (shooting an Ancient Spirit Thunderhak 60" 45@28).

I was getting discourage but I figured I would rest up and I'm going to fling some arrows tomorrow or monday once I am rested and see what happens.

Just curious what you guys think is happening?

Note:
when I grip the bow pretty tight no slap...when i keep a nice relaxed hand WHAP!

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arm Slap or Back Tension?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
I'd say try rotating your bow hand to the outside just a little.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
sounds like you're "grabbing the bow" upon release causing it to twist to your right (if your right handed)
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
donw even when I shoot it like my compound with a very loose grip and I dont grip it until the arrow hits the target it still slaps me.

I will fling a few tomorrow and see what happens.

Jmack I'll try that...just a tad and not to extreme like I was.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
I remember this exercise I did 40 years ago. Take your bow  and fold it directly into your chest until your riser hits your chest then straighten it back out for the shot. Somehow this realigns the rotation of your arm/shoulder and puts that medial epicondyle of your elbow back in a neutral position instead of sticking out for the string to wack.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Legolas I'll have to try that ty...

I just got in from shooting and the same crap happened again.  It started with the first shot and my back tension was where I wanted it.

Its to the point I dont feel comfortable hunting with it.  I owe it to the animal to do everything in my power to be perfect and right now I'm not there.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Only a couple things I can think of will make it hit your arm aside from a low brace height.  Sounds like your brace is probably about right for a longbow but on some recurves that would be low.  Anyhow, if it's hitting in your forearm to elbow area instead of down by your wrist by where a watchband would be it's probably not brace height anyway.

Bow arm elbow position will do it if you shoot with a straight bow arm and your elbow pointed down.  The guys talking about rotating your elbow or moving your grip are getting into this problem.  Shooting "straight up and down" often gets to where you turn your elbow down instead of sideways like it should be.  When you hunched over some you probably canted the bow more which gives more clearance similar to opening up the stance.  I try to rotate my entire arm from the shoulder to the wrist.  Thankfully, the wrist being the wonderfully versatile joint it is, you can pivot the bow from vertical to beyond horizontal without moving the elbow away from horizontal.

If that isn't the issue, the next most likely is too closed of a stance.  If you are really upright and sideways to the target, especially if you hunch your bow arm shoulder forward AT ALL there is very little string clearance.  Standing slightly more quartering towards the target will open up the angle between the line of the arrow and the line of your bow arm.  So will just bending the bow arm slightly (if you keep the elbow sideways).  Bending the bow arm is a bit tricky as too much and suddenly you feel like the bow is trying to come back at your face!  Just slightly unlocked in the elbow is about right.

I'd try shooting with a couple things in mind.  Open your stance just enough to get the clearance you need with your elbow rotated horizontal and keep your bow arm shoulder down.  Your back tension may feel a little different but that doesn't mean it's not there.  Changing the angle to the target changes the demand on your back muscles and may take some getting used to.  If you feel wobbly, keep the stance that gives the clearance you need and concentrate mainly on  pushing with your bow arm and following through on release.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©