3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest 8, READY TO RUMBLE!!  (Read 1810 times)

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest 8, READY TO RUMBLE!!
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
Congrats Ed! Looks like you and the new bow are getting along well. Nice looking bear, what did he weigh?

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
Ok, here we go. First I would like to mention that Bowdoc was not in camp this year. He is ill and he has to have a surgery which I think takes place tomorrow. Our thoughts were with him and we all signed a card for him. Bowdoc you were missed.

I arrived in Albany on June 12th. I wanted to be a day early just in case there was going to be any trouble with the airlines. Also wanted to get a good nights sleep before the all night drive. Hoping maybe I wouldn't fall out of the stand Saturday night when we got there. Patrick Spivey was also coming in from Arkansas at about 0100 on the 13th.

I met up with Patrick for breakfast the following morning, and after breakfast we went and picked up the rental car. Later that afternoon we picked up Kip Manuel and Zach Crossland at the airport and it was off to Tom's. We got turned around a time or two, but we got there without to much difficulty.

Once at Tom's, we met Nate Yazel and his son Hunter, as well as Bill Terry and his friend Ron Tandy and of course Tom. All of the final loading was done and we were on the road for the all night drive in short order.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
Thanks Kent. Keeping it a secret till the end, lol. Don't want to give any hints as to the size of the big one till I post a photo. Even though they are not even close,lol.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
Patrick drove all the way, but I did offer to take over shortly after we got to La Tuque, LOL. Shortly after we got into camp, we all went different directions and baited the stands. One of the stands I baited was the bowl. It had been hit hard and the area was really torn up. All of the baits had been hit.

Once back at camp the drawing for stands took place. I drew the bowl. After the drawing was complete, no one had drawn the roller coaster. I knew how good the bowl looked and I had not seen the roller coaster yet this year, but I had a score to settle there. With no objections I put the bowl back in the hat and went with the roller coaster.

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »
Ed,Nice bear can't wait for story. I still think that Whip is mine, I've got its twin .no Bisch I got Cup Cake across the lake from camp, Jay, LD, and I went by Moose Tower last year but I don't think It was hunted,can't remember .The big bear was around Beaver Pound last year with old 3 foot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
OH you guys are bringing back memories of big bears on the Moose Tower.  Now I'll have some reading from my hospital bed...total knee replacement in one week.  Sure have missed being there the past two years...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Great pic of your bear.  Classy.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
We all got a late start Saturday evening and I didnt get to the roller coaster until 7:00 pm. I stayed in the stand until 9:30 without seeing anything. When I got out of the stand I set up a trail camera in hopes of seeing what kind of bears were in the area.

Sunday morning we baited all of the baits again, and I pulled the card from my camera at the roller coaster. The camera caught one nice bear at 0140 in the morning at the meat bucket. The doughnuts were not being hit there but the meat had been cleaned out.

One bear had been taken Saturday evening. Patrick Spivey had taken a nice boar the first night, and he had seen several other bears at the moose tower. He also did a lot of filming of different bears from different stands after he took his bear. Hopefully he will share some of those with us.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Oh yeah, Nate took that photo of my bear and bow. Turned out to be one of my favorites.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
Trail cam pics of roller coaster bear. Dates and times on camera are off.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Good luck with that knee replacement Tippit. Im thinking I need one myself. I hear all good things about it after the recovery.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
Sunday evening, I hunted the roller coaster again, and did not see anything. With only one bear being on camera and that one being in the middle of the night, I decided it might be time to make a move if I could. Bears had been seen on every bait being hunted except the roller coaster, so I went with the moose tower as it was no longer being hunted and numerous bears had been seen there.

Monday evening, I was in the boat and on my way across the water with Hunter and Patrick. Patrick was going to do some more filming. We dropped Hunter off, and then Patrick dropped me at the moose tower. I was settled in the stand at about 4:30, It had taken a little bit to get things set up the way I like them after I got in the stand.

I had been in the stand less than an hour before I noticed a bear coming in from my left. He looked huge, as they all do to me,lol, but I had no doubt this one was a good bear. I tried to ease into a standing position. I didnt think the bear could see me, but he huffed,spun around and was gone in a split second. I did not know if the bear had seen me,or if he was just doing what bears do to check things out. about ten minutes later the bear was there again but coming in from the exact opposite direction. Rght under my stand. He looked like a big black Cadillac slowly pulling out of the thicket below me.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
Love hunting the moose tower!!

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
:coffee:  I'm needing a refill   :cool:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Yeah buddy!  One day I'll hunt me some bears but for now I will love reading everyone's stories.  Great bear, congrats on a successful hunt
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
This time the bear walked out to about three or four yards in front of me. Then for no apparent reason spun around and ran out again. He was silent as a ghost coming in and sounded like a freight train every time he left. The bear came in and ran out two more times. Each time he was right under the stand. Then he came in, looked at the barrell and then just walked back out of sight. I thought he was gone for good that time.

Then about 20 minutes later, a small bear came in. As that bear was approaching the barrell, the big bear came running in popping his jaws. The little bear put it in high gear and the big boy was right on his butt. Both bears went out of sight but the big guy came right back in. The little guy came back as well but stayed on the outside edge of the bait site.

Then a squirrel took off running and the big bear stood on his hind legs to see what it was. He was about ten yards away and it looked like his head was just about as high as the stand I was in. Then he walked to the barrell and layed down so he could get his head in it. I did not concern myself with the small bear. I figured he was keeping an eye on the big bear and I had too much going on to worry about him anyway. I came to full draw. Just as I reached full draw, the bear backed out of the barrell, sat on his rear end and looked right at me. There I was, stuck at full draw with no shot.

The bear sat there and looked at me for several seconds, then decided he did not like me. He started to walk away, but he chose a route that took him between me and the barrell. This put the shot at about five yards at a pretty steep angle. I had been at full draw for about ten seconds or so, but the arrow was on the way. It was so fast that I really couldnt tell for sure where the bear was hit. It looked below midline through the shoulder. The arrow was still stuck in the dirt where the bear had been.

Both bears were gone in an instant at the shot. The small bear came back about a minute later but did not stay. The woods seemed very quiet for the first time since I had been in them on this evening. I sat there in silence for about 15 minutes replaying the shot over and over in my head. Then I heard it. You know what it was. One very loud long moan, followed by several short ones. The bear was mine. I got out of the stand and went to my arrow. I could see blood that started about a yard from where I shot the bear. I followed just far enough to see that the bear had turned to the dirction that I had heard the moan from then stopped. I stuck an arrow in the ground in that spot. Then I walked to the old moose tower for which the stand is named and sat and waited for the ride. It had started raining pretty good so I was a little concerned but when I got back to camp, Zach and Tom were sure the bear was dead and that we would be able to find it.

The following morning Zach, Tom and I were out early, I showed them where the blood was and where I had put the arrow. The rain had washed some blood away but it was still pretty easy to follow, with only a couple difficult sections in the moss. We found the bear, and I could not have been happier or more relieved. More photos to follow.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »

Top photo is near the moose tower. The second phot is of Zach and I getting back to camp.

Offline shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Ed, you did one helluva job.  Good for you.  Zach has really turned into Tommy's 'man friday'.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Back in camp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©