3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any recovering bow-a-holics?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any recovering bow-a-holics?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Keith Zimmerman:
Why would u want to recover??  LOL!
I'm not ready to recover just yet. Too many good bowyers out there not to try them all!
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
Lots of good responses here.
I've bought and sold lots of bows looking for "the one"
I would like to imagine that one day I will make "the one" for me. My goal is to make and use my own creation. Even though I know there are MANY MANY great bowyers out there. I can't say that I won't buy a bow made by other bowyers but I've found my definite "go to" bowyer.  He however does not make a 1 PC bow. Which happens to be what I VISIUALLY prefer.
Good luck on you're recovery!

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
Well Ken, it is funny that you should start this thread, as I have done that exact thing.
I was up to about 17 at one time.
I switched from right to left, as you know from our past dealings.
I decided when I made the switch that I would stay with pretty much one bowyer. I had two bows made at one time so I would have two different lengths and still have the limbs interchange. It worked out well. I now am down to just four Schafers, and one Widow.
I did it, and am happy about it.
BTW- The grip on the silvertips and standard grip on the widow are very close.
I still have to restrain myself from time to time when I look at the classifieds, but again, I am happy with the decision.
Ken Thornhill

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
I'm recovered but now and then I fall off the wagon when you and some others put one up for sale....... :)
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
Only 3 right now but I shot a black widow today that I may be able to pick up very reasonably - I really shot it well; may not to be able to pass it up if he decides to part with it.
SWA Spyder

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
I'm down to one.  I've never owned more than 4 at once and usually one hits the road when another comes in.  Since I'm at only 1 now, I've talked to a couple bowyers and peruse the classifieds looking for a "back up"

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
I don't want to recover, LOL. nuff said
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
My name is don and I'm a bowaholic probably about 40. It's a sickness but I like it.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I've owned all the bows that ever intrigued me...Except for one.     :saywhat:    I would like to
get my hands on a Caribow Featherhorn. Then I can rest my weary head.   rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
How many Bows you got Danny....

I only have one Bow, A Hill Big Five....But I'm thinking of getting another Hill our a JD Berry.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
No, I'm definitely not in recovery.
Sam

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
I have 24 and they are not all bows I made. About half and half. Of the bows I have that are not EagleWings five are old Bears and balance are Howatts and Chad Holmes and Sasqatches and Sentmans. Meeting the qualifications of performance and fit and finish combinations in one bowyer are extremely rare. Some fit one portion of the equasion and lack in others.  
My goal in the designs of my bows are to accomplish this as that is what composes the complete bow IMHO. However I always seem to find a place for improvement.

There are bows that are exceptional in this department but I will not name them as I probably would inadvertently leave out some and even leaving out one would be a crying shame.
One thing though as to this thread.

I would not stick with just one bowyer unless I had tried every bowyer building bows in the class of bow I liked. I would always feel like I was missing out on something really special.

BTW I build bows simply because I could not find what I wanted. LOL. Sooooooooooooooo I'm an addict that will probably be designing new bows til the day I go to my Lord Jesus.

God bless, Steve

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
Years ago I was out with a researcher looking for signs of native buffalo hunters.  We found a broken flint arrow head by a lime stone ledge and a complete one.  The prof stated that there was a bow hunter here and he was obviously a serious bow hunter.  Thousands of years from now a researcher will dig up my house and find my stuff. He will say there was a bow hunter here, but he was not a serious bow hunter, only five longbows.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
I was down to 14 but coming back from the Howard Hill shoot I have 19 now. I shoot primarily my LH Cari-bow Silver Fox and my Voodoo Elk Riser. I started shooting right hand two years ago and am close to hunting right hand. I did it to shoot more bows.  I have 9 lefties and 8 righties, one dual shelf and a bowfishing setup. I was up in the 30's at one time but now in the shedding mode after I shoot these some more. Then buying mode, then selling mode, then buying mode, then..............bow-a-holic for sure. I like trying different batches of Moonshine too so guess I am alcoholic too.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
In the first two years of trad I must have bought a bow every two months.  That was until I got my Super D.  No need for another bow.  I sold all of them except for a Bighorn that I have a sentimental attachment too.  Just wish it was a little heavier.

Now I must confess to getting a 58" TS Mag a week ago.  Just in case I want to use a shorter or heavier bow.  But nothing I know will equal the quietness and confidence I have with my Toelke.

I also became a little nervous with no backup
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Yeah....that's a big lie you are telling yourself right there......it will work for a short while, then you will slowly start reaquiring......it's a sickness....
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Delete
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
my name is Dan and I'm a bow-a-holic. 39 and counting.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Iam powerless over bows and my life is unmanageable.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Steven E Milbocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 06:57:00 AM »
Over the years ,I've owned 64, that I can remember. Just finished my list,I was curious:)Anyway I have been selling bows and I'm down to 4. Plan to make that 3 ASAP!I hope I don't fall off the wagon,but if I do I guess worse things could happen:)For what its worth, My "chosen" are a Black Widow PSAX,JK Chastain,Great Northern Ghost...So far:)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©