3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: lost my desire, help me get it back!!  (Read 727 times)

Offline flounder pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
lost my desire, help me get it back!!
« on: June 08, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
Ive been deer hunting for 35 yrs., with my bow for the past 9 yrs. and had a very strong passion for traditional archery. Over the past two years Ive all but lost my desire to shoot or hunt with my trad bow. I still love to hunt as much as ever, but I always seem to pick up my rifle and hunt instead. Have any of youll experienced this and how did you get your passion back.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: lost my desire, help me get it back!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
There is an ebb and a flow to all things.  Don't fight it, man.  Enjoy your time afield.  Try new things.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
I go though the same thing every once in a while. Sometimes I focus more on muzzleloaders, someimes hunting with pistols, sometimes its lever action rifles. As long as you are enjoying yourself dont sweat it. I dont think the trad police are going to confiscate your bows for not being used...............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
You are guilty of being human... Just enjoy yourself when ever you can... In a way, I've been there too, feeling strange holding a rifle during firearm season...    :dunno:    ... Still use it anyway...

Maybe stump shooting or small game hunting with your trad bow will help you get the itch back, maybe... Find a trad get-together and go there...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
Don't sweat it bro!  Keep on keepin on.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
There's nothing like a new bow.....

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
Same thing here. Fly fished  and put the bows away  for a while. My bows called me back . Now my fly rods are calling . It's all good.
Dan Breen

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
Think of it as a being a "two=season hunter" with extended time periods between.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Forcing it will not help, step back a while, bet it calls you back when your ready.
shoot straight shoot often

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
Hunt with what makes you happy just keep hunting.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
Find a young soul to mentor into the sport.   Also, try building your own bow....both of these have of way of re-kindling passions.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by PaulDeadringer29:
There's nothing like a new bow.....
I like this idea !!!
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
I'll ask the questions but you don't need to answer them here...

What significant things have happened in your life in the past 5 years? Things r/t your health (or others), employment, income, family, fitness, and other things you might consider important.

These are all potential things to steal your attention and energy, taking you away from the enjoyment that hunting once provided. I tend to think we don't just fade away from outdoor pursuits. Instead, I think life and all it holds slowly takes hold and gradually makes our pursuits less imperative. You go from 'can't stay home' to 'can't make myself go' over a significant period of time.

Thinking it will change on its own is highly unlikely. If things have changed in your life, you'll need to address them and get those roadblocks to fun out of your way. The drive and desire is still possible...you'll have to uncover it.

Offline Kent57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Very well said Kevin.
Kent R. Gray

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
If you bow hunt  and generally shoot by yourself I think the drive can easily lessen.
In my case I came down with inflammatory arthritis and can't shoot my bow. I do use a muzzleloader for meat hunts but miss my walks in the woods with my longbow terribly.
I'm still hoping to get back to it.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
Just keep in mind that archery and bowhuning are not obligations!  I love to shoot bows, build bows and hunt with bows.  But, I also enjoy building,shooting and hunting with muzzle loaders.  Pursue what may captivate you at the moment and enjoy it.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I have two compounds on the wall that do nothing but collect dust....both are new, nice bows. I just don't have any passion for them anymore. I hunt with longbows and recurves during deer archery season. Come muzzleloader, I bring one of my smoke poles. Come rifle, I break out my long range set ups.

In turkey season....I start out with a shotgun til I get one under my belt. Then I start trying it with trad equipment.

I have way too many other toys with different capabilities to limit myself to just one thing.

My true passion...the thing I do every single day...is shooting my traditional bows.

For me, bowfishing is the most fun I've ever had with a recurve in hand. Second, is stumping with a friend. Go bowfishing and stump shooting!  And hunt any way that makes you happy. That's what it's all about.

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Simple fix really. bow hunt during bow season and break out the blued steal during gun season. I plan to bow hunt only this coming deer season. i really want a traditional bow kill, i guess that keeps my drive going. Whatever you do in this situation there is no right or wrong. I feel like ill be a better hunter after this season. I've been practicing tracking and shooting in different positions. i practice more with my bow than i ever have with a gun and i enjoy it.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
"I've been deer hunting for 35 years"
That in itself is pretty impressive. I'm pretty young and my passion is full on. Can't imagine not hunting every season i can. Have you tried hunting anything else? Reading these bear hunt stories really gets the blood pumping. Maybe trying different species could bring the drive back.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
It's really hard to say much with so many variables.

I consider myself an archer first but I bought a rifle 3 years ago and I have had more deer & bear in the freezer in that time than the prior 15 years combined of only bow hunting.

Eb and flow...   I have two young kids so I choose to spend time with them, not out scouting, etc.

With limited time, I grab the rifle.

I practice with my bow year round, shoot'em with my boys, bow hunt a bit during the 2 week archery season and then for now, the rifle.

What is your goal?  Fill the freezer, harvest with a bow or long gun?  What kind of time do you have...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©