3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scent Smoker  (Read 462 times)

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
Scent Smoker
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
I purchased one of these about 5 years ago and still have yet to use it. Like any product I have heard good and not so good in terms of success. Is there any experience here with this device and if so could you give some opinions on it? I am debating on trying it this fall or weather to stick with what I have done the past 27 years which has worked well for me. Thanks.

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scent Smoker
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Aaron;
I like you and have heard just as many bad stories as good ones. I'll be watching this one closely as I too have some smoke sticks but have never used them.
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
You've already purchased it, so why not try a couple times??

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
The very 1st time I used the sent stick I  saw a doe eating acorns headed my direction  she caught wind of the scent and came over to the stick and sniffed it. I heard something behind her and about 75 yards away a 10 pt was slowly trailing her  she peed right under my stand and the buck trotted  under me to scent check it..  That was my 1st and only 10 pt with a bow.
I was probably going to get a shot at that buck anyway if he would of kept following her.  But it did bring her over to me . I got lucky when she peed and he  saw her And came in to investigate.

I have used them and had no luck. But then I had luck the 1st time  I used !!!!!

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Aaron,
I used a bee smoker for the first time last fall and  I will not be spending another dime on scent control products.

What I had been doing the last 25 years was working ok for me as well but why not try to improve upon it? If it doesn't help you, just go back to what you were doing.

I was getting picked off occasionally when the wind would swirl or change direction slightly.  After using the smoker, I purposely hunted stands with wind directions that I normally wouldn't have. I wanted the deer coming in dead down wind of me just to see their reaction and I was skeptical.

To my surprise, I killed an adult doe and a coyote on pressured public land during the gun season and both were dead down wind on the same trail at 8 yards. The smoker is a very small investment that worked for me, so I will continue using it until I find a reason not to....so far so good.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
You are talking about  the scent control smoker the one that looks kinda like a coffee pot that you smoke your clothes with to kill bacteria act as a microbial and cover you're scent right?
Some,seem to think you talking about scent (smoke) sticks. To attract deer.
Just clarifying.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr. fingers:
You are talking about  the scent control smoker the one that looks kinda like a coffee pot that you smoke your clothes with to kill bacteria act as a microbial and cover you're scent right?
Some,seem to think you talking about scent (smoke) sticks. To attract deer.
Just clarifying.
Good point! This is not a attractant but a anti- microbial smoker similar to smokers used in the Bee honey business.

Offline FOX SQUIRREL NUTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
6 years and still going strong...

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
I'm interested in this as well.  It makes sense to me, but I'm hesitant to try it because I think once you "smoke" your hunting clothes it will be hard to ever get the smell out.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
We tried the bee smoker last year also, it seem to work fine. The wind always swirls here and I shot a doe that night.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
I hope this thread goes for a while I'm hopping to hear Pos. And neg  responses .  
It's time for a new hunting outfit . I have been using  scent blocker clothing and the X scent .  I have had great results but They are getting too spendy
And the smoker makes cents . Kills bacteria anti microbial  and a natural cover wood smoke. I would like to try one.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I know this has been discussed before, but my last year has kept me off of the computer for my interests for a while.  More info would be great.  I always thought clothes were just smoked over a small fire.  I did not know there was "device".  Or is it used at the stand, like a scent stick?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
It is sold by a guy here in Ohio and several people have tried it. Some say it gives them a headache to constantly smell like smoke.

Offline mightyox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
I Googled it and might just give it a shot this coming deer season.
Hard work and dedication won't bring you nothing but an early grave, unless you're smart about it. -  Jim Bridger

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
get a charcoal starter for 3 bucks at Dollar general
Start a fire in it then pile on the pine needles.
Smoke will flow out the top.
Stand in stream or hang clothes over the smoke.
Ive heard great things about using smoke.
And deer wont spook from smoke smell.
Slickhead

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
I certainly have multiple ways of hardwood smoking my clothes.  How often do you need to refresh.  Is it a total wash, then smoke, or just a refresh on the smoke if you have not sweat up the clothes?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
I smoked clothes for a couple of seasons. Although I do feel it worked well on does and young bucks, I never fooled the older mature bucks that I love to hunt. Decided hunting the wind was better and not near as much trouble as smoking my clothes before each hunt. My shop also smells much better now as my clothes were really stinking the place up! Also my wife hated the smell, and I  wasn't getting near the kisses from her that I usually did, and  that wasn't good!    :nono:

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
You will probably have someone tell you that you CAN"T fool a deer's nose and just hunt the wind. You should always hunt the wind of course.

Someone will likely also say that a tracking dog can trail you directly to your tree. If a dog can do that, then a deer with even better olfactory senses will smell you even quicker. They are right. A dog will come find you fairly easily.

HOWEVER..... The smoke appears to do something I don't fully understand to deer. They simply do not react like they would without it. I have yet to have a deer blow/snort at me when using smoke. Even when they circle down wind, they obviously catch a scent, but they just don't freak out. Sometimes they stay right where they are still feeding and other times they just walk away. THIS IS WITH THEM BEING DOWN WIND!

I have video posted on Facebook of a buck standing ON my walk-in trail WITH a bad swirling wind. He fed in the area for about a half hour before moving on up the hill. At one point, he even caught me moving while videoing him. He circled down wind to try to catch my scent. Even when the buck was down wind with his nose in the air, he couldn't figure it out.

FYI;  I was in a tree, but only 8 feet off the ground.

Smoke works! From a fire or a bee smoker. Give it a go and see for yourself. I smoke everything including my boots. I also use unscented soap and deodorant mostly for allergies, but it plays double duty for hunting. I put unscented deodorant on my feet to keep them from sweating as well.

Good Luck!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
Don't know if this is the same but I took some advice and got all smoked up elk hunting. Never saw elk run away as fast. Smoke scented clothing/skin  didn't help at all.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©