3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Folding hand saw recommendations? BOUGHT A SILKY  (Read 645 times)

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Folding hand saw recommendations? BOUGHT A SILKY
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Hello all,

I've been hanging tree stands since 1985, and most of that time I've been using a piece of junk saw to trim tree limbs with. No more!

I'll be 49 years old soon, and I want to buy a top-of-the-line  FOLDING HAND SAW that will last the rest of my bowhunting career.

But it's gotta be SHARP! It's gotta cut like crazy!

I've been looking (via the internet) at a Silky Super Accel 210. The blade is 8.25" long, and folded up its 9.45" long. They sell for $44.00, which I don't mind as long as its a great tool.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks, Paul
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Folding hand saw recommendations? BOUGHT A SILKY
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
I use a folding Japanese carpenters saw.  They are the best I've used.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
I don't have experience with the silky.I've heard good things about these:
 http://wickedtreegear.com/wickedhandsaw_yellowhandle.html

I've been using Corona saws for a few years now and they have been real good.I also have two larger,fixed blade Coronas and they really rip for larger work.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
I like the Sven Saw.  I also use the Wyoming Saw, but it requires a little more in the way of set up before use.

Tom

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
I have an SOG folding saw with holster that I like the best of the ones I have had.  Cuts wood great but will not cut bone.
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
My Gerber from Wally World does fine. Been very sharp for years. Cuts green limbs ultra fast and dead ones almost as fast. I think it was about 11 or 12 dollars.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
Silky Saw and don't look back. My buddy can cut up to 10" logs in like 15-20 seconds with the high end/large teeth Japanese steel one. A Silky can cut as fast as a semi-sharp Stihl. Pricey, but you'll never see anything else like it.
   http://www.silkysaws.com/

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
I've got two recommendations for you depending on where you hunt:

Silky Saws:
Generally recommended as "the best" and they are exceptional.  These have thinner blades which might flex more on the push but they cut on the pull stroke anyway.  These are by far the KING at cutting evergreens and softer woods.  I don't know of anyone that's tried one that has anything bad to say about them.

Corona Saws:
These have a bit thicker blade and are also fantastic.  They cut soft woods about 20% slower than a Silky, but cut hardwoods and dried hardwoods about 20% faster.  These have a lifetime guarantee and a nice locking mechanism on the pivot point also.  Where i hunt, its mostly hardwoods so I stick with a Corona now.  The only downside to Corona's are they only come in 7" and 10".  I find the 7" to be almost as efficient as the 10" but easier to pack so it's my go-to now.  The 7" does bind up when first starting cuts a little more though, but that's a problem that most tiny folders have due to leverage.

Between a Silky and/or Corona, you should be able to find a coarse tooth saw to fit your size, budget, and preferences for wood types.  It's hard to go wrong with either really.  Oh, and I find curved bladed saws to cut easier than flat, but sometimes they have teeth exposed when folded if that matters to you.  The 7" Corona doesn't when folded up but the 10" does have exposed teeth.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
I looked at the Silky website, and its amazing how many folding saws they make. Some have curved blades, some straight blades, etc., etc.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
Wicked
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
I used the same Gerber for many years, it finally broke on me last season. I'm going to try a wicked brand saw next I guess. The Silky looks like a serious saw too, might take a look at there folders. I like a saw that fits in a fanny pack so about 12" to 14" max would be ideal.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Wicked.  Best saw I've ever had. I got tired of going through a saw per season.  Bought one of these and its been great.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
I guess it all depends on how much cutting you want to do,but I carry a Gerber saw and hatchet. They both fit in my back pack. I carry extra bone blades and wood blades for the saw. If the Gerber doesn't get it done,it's more cutting than I want to do by hand.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
I have a Corona that I have used in landscaping for 3 or 4 year and has cut loads of branches from 1/2" to 6"-8" trees and if you are not careful it will still cut you to the bone before you know it. Plus, it is red so you won't misplace it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
I have a Silky folder that I carry in my pack and one of the Zubats for habitat work.  Phenomenal saws.  

D.P.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
Some nice saws there - no bad reason to get a good one once when it comes to gear and I am guessing these are some great ones suggested.  I have used a Corona for quite a while with good results but the wicked and silky look nicer for sure.  

One trick I have done is cut part of the back end of the handle off and epoxied the threaded part of a paint roller onto it.  Fits into my telescoping pole for setting stands and can be threaded onto a sapling in a pinch with good results.  Always nice to have the ability to extend your cut.  

Someone used to make one with the threaded female end right in the handle but I can't find them anymore so I made one.  Works well.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
I have a few - really like Opinel and they are relatively inexpensive.
TommyBoy

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
I'm also a fan of the Sven Saw...my boundary waters companions love it too!

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
The Winnipeg based company Coghlans markets the Sierra Saw...their website says they sell them all over the world...a lot of saw for under 15 dollars

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
I had a browning saw for years---I had won it at a muzzleloading rifle match and used it for about 15 years before it finally gave up.  Tried a Gerber, but the hinge/lock mechanism broke right away (second or third use).  Agree with the earlier posts---buy a wicked tough say and you will be happy!  I've been using mine for two seasons now.

John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©