3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Foam vs Bamboo Opinions  (Read 1233 times)

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Foam vs Bamboo Opinions
« on: June 10, 2014, 12:08:00 AM »
Having a new bow built and would like your opinions. How does foam compare to bamboo in a carbon longbow limb? Are they as quiet? Since they are lighter are they a little quicker? How do they feel to you? Any info you could provide would be great. Thanks guys.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Foam vs Bamboo Opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
Can you tell who is building your bow .Limb design makes a big difference. Then maybe I can give you my opinion.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
In my experience you can get them as quiet as boo but they just have a different 'tone' to them, higher pitched to my ears.  The foam is lighter so you can pick up a few fps.  To me draw feel is also a bit different, both can be just as smooth but the foam feels more 'springy'.  From my research one of the foam's primary benefits is resistance to temperature change/ or rather consistent performance at extreme temperatures, i.e dealing with hot day/direct sunlight or freezing temperatures.  If at all possible I would recommend shooting a carbon/boo or wood and then a carbon/foam bow first and then deciding.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
I've hated all the carbon/foam bows I've tried. They all have sounded a lot louder to me, though I suppose it could just be a tone issue that annoys me.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Mike, I hate to name the bowyer right now.  He has only built one bow with the foam core and isnt really sure about it yet. He is one of the best though and the bow is an aggresive D&R design.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I've shot both, and it's kind of a toss-up IMO.  The carbon/foam limbs are higher pitched, as 9worlds points out. That may be due more to the carbon vs glass difference than the foam vs bamboo difference. I can get them quiet enough, but not as quiet as glass/bamboo lam limbs. I don't notice any difference in draw smoothness.  They're both smooth.  The carbon may be a tad faster, but unless one has a chrono, you would never know. After shooting both, I really don't know which I would have built new if had the choice.  Probably the one that cost less.  Sorry I couldn't be of much help.     :dunno:

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
I own both. My foam core LB's are exceptionally smooth drawing and are very quiet. They are also very fast. I'm a little surprised to hear that others have found foam to have a higher pitch. I suspect the bowyer and limb design must be the difference.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
I agree with nineworlds statement as well. I liked the ones I've owned,but found that pitch a bit undesirable. I went with heavier arrows to help,which it did a bit,but at the sake of the speed as to why I bought them to begin with. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
I have had both and was unimpressed with foam compared to bamboo core; but as with everything else there are personal preferences and design considerations so I will likely try foam again sometime. I think the bowyer is more important than the material.

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
With the shortage of heat temper bamboo; my question is can it be used as a replacement and give as good or better limbed bow. Recurves have already shown the results but what about R&D and Hill bows.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Foam performs better on paper (IE is lighter, faster, and more consistent).  Bamboo performs better in the woods (seems a little more quiet, has a better or more natural quality of sound, and feels a little less snappy on the shot).  Between the two, I go with bamboo because foam doesn't significantly improve things as compared to what you can get with arrow/string/limb design changes.  However, within a given setup where all other factors are equal, bamboo feels and sounds better to me.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
I like the 'warmth' of boo, it is a natural & sustainable material.  

"What are you trying to arrive at", a better bow"?  There's no end to that game.  Bamboo gets my vote!

Kris

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of bamboo. Of the bows I've shot, foam gets the nod SLIGHTLY performance-wise, but I don't see enough to justify the added expense. Plus the 'boo has that natural aesthetic feel.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Plenty of theoretical advantages.  Practically, foam / carbon SHOULD be more stable moving from one set of environmental conditions to another.  Having said that, a properly finished / sealed bamboo / glass bow should be practically impermeable and uneffected.  Those with more knowledge may have better information.

Shooting them, my foam / carbon limbs are clearly a different audible pitch, it's a higher frequency sound.  It's different.  I don't know if better or worse.

It has been said that carbon / foam are faster.  That may be a limb design issue.  It may be carbon / foam.  Speed doesn't matter that much to me or I'd shoot wheels.

I recently spoke to a bowyer about his carbon / foam vs bamboo / glass limbs and the "differences".  He essentially outlined what I've posted above.  Beyond that, he emphatically told me that he's had far fewer limb delaminations using carbon / foam than glass / bamboo.  Maybe that matters?

I haven't shot a boo backed self bow.  That's probably quieter and "lower" pitched than the glass bow.

To each, his own.
homebru

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
I understand. I think you have got some great advice here. Good luck with the new bow.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
I have both, but I prefer the carbon/foam on my Morrison Longbows.Fast and very quiet! Limb design may have some influence on quietness and Bob Morrison's longbow limbs are top notch.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
Thank you all for all the info.....I got some thinking to do.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
I have both (same poundage at my draw) My carbon and foam is quieter. Same cat whisker set-up on both..but different string makers..could be the difference...both are really quiet.

My carbon/foam is easier to draw (2" longer..could be the difference)and faster.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by 4dogs:
... Since they are lighter are they a little quicker? How do they feel to you? ...
I have shot carbon limbed longbows and I did not like how quick they were. I never liked the early carbon flyrods either for the same reason- something is lost when what you hold in your hand acts like the soundtrack coming at you form the latest hunting DVD: git-r-done!

I don't like how carbon feels at the shot and I don't mean handshock. Its the quickness that feels almost foreign. Life is supercharged enough with out having it in the limb of a bow.

That is my own bias. I would suggest shooting a carbon limbed bow yourself first. It may not matter to you and there is a lot going for carbon, but if it does matter you might not like it.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
I did some testing with the chrono; for me carbon was 5-6 fps faster than glass-all else being as equal as possible-actionwood cores in both bows. I found carbon/foam just slightly slower than bamboo/carbon. That was shooting by hand not machine. I also did not find bamboo/carbon to be any faster than actionwood/carbon-at least not shooting by hand. ymmv.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©