3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just ordered a new bow today!  (Read 287 times)

Offline Chops

• Trad Bowhunter
Just ordered a new bow today!
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
Hi All,
I wanted to say that I just ordered a Samick Sage 62" Takedown Recurve Bow. I have been wanting to get back into the sport after a many year hiatus. I used to shoot a longbow but the limbs got a bit twisted and figured it wasn't safe to shoot. The price was right for this recurve and I just went for it. Looking forward to getting out to the range.
I am right-handed but left-eye-dominant and toyed with the idea of retraining to use a left hand draw. Anyone have experience with that? Anyone have any experience with this bow?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Just ordered a new bow today!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
I'm the same (left eyed right handed) and so are many others here.  You should definitely shoot with your dominant eye.  I say go lefty and never look back.  You 'can' train yourself to shoot righty but IMHO just going with your dominant eye will yield quicker and more satisfying results.

The Sage is a great bow for the bargain.  LOTS of bang for the buck.  You really needn't shoot anything else for function's sake and it will no doubt serve you wonderfully.  You can't beat the portability of a takedown and the option to use multiple sets of limbs in different weights is great.  Someday, eventually you may find yourself attracted to the beauty and artistry of custom bows.

Enjoy!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Good bow choice. I ordered one for my wife with 35 pound limbs so she would shoot trad with me sometimes. I ended up getting a set 55 pound limbs from the classifieds for me to play with on it too.

It's a great shooting bow with both sets of limbs. It has the best feeling grip of any recurve I've ever shot...and I've shot a bunch of em.  

Order a custom string for it. The ones that come on them are subpar. A good string really wakes them up.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
I'm the same (left eyed right handed) and so are many others here.    
I'm one of the "many others".   :wavey:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Me too...and I shoot both right and left handed...I always encourage people to at least try shooting both sides

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
I too am left eye dominant and right handed.

I started out right handed years back when I was also shooting with training wheels and used to a peep site. I quickly learned that I was never going to be able to shoot to my full potential.

I switched to lefty and within two weeks I was already shooting better than I had been for the past year right handed.

That was about 11 or 12 years ago and have never looked back.

Offline Chops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Dang... I should have posted BEFORE I ordered! haha.

Well, this can be the start of my collection of bows and maybe I can get a lefty bow in the future.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
Welcome back!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
I'm one of them too.
   The hardest part of shootin lefty was nocking the arrow....
   After I learned to shoot both ways, Sometimes putting my gear on Id be all mixed up, Armguard on wrong side etc, Id have to stop and decide what side I was using....
   My next Hill bow will be an Ambi no shelfs so I can shoot both sides....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
I still like "one-sided" bows as they can be cut closer to/past center. Having said that, I just ordered a dual-shelf Holm River Runner recurve.

I'm a left-eyed/right-handed shooter who switched to lefty and experienced the same thing TradBrewSC did. I recently started shooting my right hand bow again and found I can switch back and forth now. I do have to close my left eye when I reach anchor shooting right handed, but that's not a big deal. Left handed, I can keep both eyes open.

I do not think you would have any problem switching to lefty and I think you will see faster progress if you do. You might want to keep your eyes open for an inexpensive, used, left-handed bow and give it a try.

One more thing. If you stay with Trad bows, you might possibly find yourself owning more than one bow anyway    :D
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
I'm left eyed and right handed, shoot right handed. I've shot everything right handed by whole life and seem to shoot better then most.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©