3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selway-Bitteroot Elk Herd Condition?  (Read 412 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Selway-Bitteroot Elk Herd Condition?
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
I'm looking at an Idaho Elk hunt in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness Area in Unit 12 for the 2015 season.

I've heard the wolves have had an impact on the Elk Herd in Idaho. So I guess my question is how is the Elk Herd doing?
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selway-Bitteroot Elk Herd Condition?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
I was bear hunting just northeast of the Selway a couple of weeks ago, and according to what I saw and what the outfitter said, elk are doing a bit better than the last few years. I saw a good number of elk in my week, but I also saw lots of wolf sign and heard them howling. Hopefully, the Idaho wolf season is improving the elk hunting.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
last i knew fish and game was suppose to take out 23 wolves last winter...dont know if they did or not.

a friend of mine had a moose tag for unit 10 just north of there last year...took over 2 weeks to find a bull...reports by elk hunters were sad at best...lots of wolf sign.

we use to hunt unit 9 but gave up 2 years ago...it became a 2 week camping trip with very little elk, moose or deer.

SAD BUT TRUE...if you come out dont expect much.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
We have killed Wolves in the Selway the past year but the Elk herd has been run down so low it will take several years of mild winters before we see a uptick in the game herds.

I would not recommend coming across the country to hunt the Selway

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
Talked to the biologist a few days ago and he said 27 wolves had been taken over the winter. Had a moose tag in 12 a couple years ago and never saw a bull or elk. Hunt bear there last week of spring season, after ours closes up here, and have never seen an elk.
As has been said, not worth time or money to hunt there.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
Good to know folks, thanks for the input. I was wondering why the trips were so cheap lol. Maybe I'll turn my attention to wyoming antelope/mule deer
Self reliance cannot be bought

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©