3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: feather burner or chopper  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Jhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
feather burner or chopper
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
I have stored up a good supply of turkey feathers and have started grinding them down.  I do not have anything to make the fletching yet and would like to hear opinions on the feather burner or little chopper.

I shoot left wing parabolic feathers.  I don't anticipate fletching more than a couple dozen arrows a year, but as my kids grow older that may change.  I also have an endless supply of goose feathers so I was thinking I could make some for gifts, trade, sell or whatever.  

For those who have used one or both products, what would you recommend?  The questions I have are: Can you burn feathers not already glued on a shaft?  Which one makes a better fletching?  Can you chop left and right wing with the same chopper?  If not, why?

Any other input is appreciated.  Thanks, Sam

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: feather burner or chopper
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
I prefer a burner but the feathers have to be attached to the arrow to use it. You can buy extra ribbons for extra patterns cheap($1.50 or so).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
I use both. For my more primitive arrows I use the burner.
If you only need to do regular arrows a chopper might be mor practical cost wise.
So I'd suggest starting with with the chopper.
If it were a banna fletch one chopper will do both left and right . But with you would need two choppers. This is due to keeping the feather properly orientated.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
I prefer a burner,but like said they have to be on a shaft.If you are not going to do a lot of arrows a chopper can be more cost effective.I bought a chopper when I first started,but was never really happy with it.Bought a burner after a couple dozen arrows.I have had my burner for about 20 years now and still works fine and new ribbons are cheap.And I can do so much more with the burner,different shapes.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
I have done both. I do not burn anymore as I am challenged at shaping ribbons. Now you can buy them shaped. I have a few different choppers that 3rivers sells. Also have a Vario  I got from Herb's archery. For me anymore it is the Vario, cuts the feather cleaner and more consistly.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
I do both as well...chopping is fine for basic cuts, I do prefer to burn though I'm also not the greatest at it.   I'll typically take some junk feathers and tape them on a junk shaft and burn to finalize my shape.  I typically set the ribbon bigger than I really want anyways so I could easily burn the finished arrows though I do end up burning the front/back end paint if I go at it without the test shaft or three, never fails.  I do have a template that gets me close initially so the test shaft or two is usually enough most of the time.  I made it out of hardboard.

You can build a burner easily enough, and like was said the wires are cheap.

Choppers are nice you'll still ruin feathers though and they do dull in a short period of time.  Initially they cut well, than kind of get to a ok to decent state for awhile.  They're cheap until you buy 5 of them than you might as well just buy the burner.  lol!  

For me if I had to buy just one I'd buy the burner.  

Save those cut offs for the kids arrows!

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Just used my little chopper for the first time to do the wings of the turkey I shot this year and was very pleased with the way they turned out. But I never tried a burner and sounds like they work great if doing a lot of feathers. Will stick to the chopper for now. Right wing 5" shield.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
I have no experience using a burner.

I bought a chopper and have no complaints. I like to make up my fletching as I want and then make arrows when I want as time allows. I'm not trying to make pieces of art just good functional arrows and I get that everytime.

Some nights I will sit, splice, chop and bag a ziplock full. Then I'm good for a year and can easily repair arrows because my replacement fletching is ready to go.

In fact, after buying it I starting getting friends to give me turkey and pheasant feathers and I starting splitting and chopping my own. Super easy to do. I only buy full length orange feathers now to add visibility. Everything else is scavenged.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
I have choppers and burners. I really prefer the burner. It's easier and faster once it's set and works great for doing spliced feathers
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
I've had a few choppers but never liked the end results. The Young burner I have was given to me 25 years ago or more and it came from an old time archer so it was probably 20 years old or older when I got it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
I tried a burner and wasn't impressed. Prefer the chopper but agree it's still not perfect.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
I tried a chopper, first, then I got a burner.  I prefer the burner.  I guess the stink aggravates me a little less than the noise I make, pounding on that chopper.

When I'm feeling really froggy, I have been known to use a pair of quality scissors....

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Burner   :thumbsup:   (smell is   :banghead:   not) if you want all arrows the same   :archer:   burner! if you want extra flechtings ahead of time chopper.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
I have a burner and have never figured out how to use it.
I don't know how to bend the ribbon for a pattern I like.
I bought a chopper from Herb Haines.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
I used a burner when I had a little chopper, put up the burner when I got a vario chopper.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
When I use my burner I usally do a shield style burn.I used two separate ribbons to make my shape.The first ribbon I would burn the sweep and then swap out to my second ribbon to burn the shield end.With two separate ribbons I can burn 5.5",5",4.5" and 4" shield feathers with just two ribbon.And I can adjust the height of my shield burn feathers by adjusting my first ribbon.This is how I like to burn my feathers using two ribbon I can make so many different shields aand with different heights.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
The little lady of the house much prefers I use choppers. Once stinking up the house was all it took.
 One of my motto's is to never tick off the cook so with her blessings over the years a have half a dozen choppers to take care of my wants and needs.    ;)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
To use the burner I make wood forms (1/4 ply wood) into the shape I want. then using an old wood arrow shaft I rub/bend the wire to the shape around the form.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Never had good luck with the little choppers........much prefer my Young burner.
Darcy   :campfire:
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
If your single get a burner,if married a chopper.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©