3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question for Dr. Ashby  (Read 292 times)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
question for Dr. Ashby
« on: September 22, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Dr. Ashby,  I wanted to see if you would have time to answer a question for me and others here might benefit as well.  I have read all your reports so far and am always impressed with the science you put into your testing- you're kinda the "mythbusters" of archery penetration.  My question is:  Of all the variables that go into penetration, in your opinion, what is the most important? BH blade # (2 vs 3 blade, etc.)?  Arrow weight?  High FOC?  Something else?  In other words, if you could only have one of these to improve your penetration, what would you chose?  What one variable has made the most difference to increase penetration in your tests?  I have a theory based on my limited experience, but wanted to hear from you before I go spouting that which I don't know.  I don't know if there's anyone else who has tested arrow penetration to the extent that you have.  Hope you have time to answer.  Thanks.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: question for Dr. Ashby
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »
Doug, getting maximum arrow performance is a complex matrix of features. In a few months (whenever Part 8 of the 2007 Updates gets out there) they will all be delineated and discussed in detail. However, you won't even have to wait that long to get a rough idea.

If it's on schedule, TBM should have an overview of them in about November. I'd discuss them here, except it takes ME about 20 pages!   :D  

Ed

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
Ok, here's number one on the list ... but it won't tell you what it is I know you want to know.

The single most important factor of all is the structural integrity of the entire arrow system. If that breaks down, absolutely nothing else matters ... not even shot placement; and I can back that up with hard facts from real shots - even some from whitetails! Got a mechanical right here in front of me that stopped IN a whitetail's entrance rib when the BH bent. It was recovered by a meat-processor friend in Georgia - from a rifle killed deer! I received it still imbeded in the rib! It was perfectly placed, but totally failed.   :bigsmyl:  

Ed

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Is that the same head you showed me when you were here at the house? Did you ever get anywhere further with the theories?

I quit asking the Doc questions like this a long time ago.

Of all the variables that go into penetration, in your opinion, what is the most important?
The Doc in very laymens terms(yea right!) will explain each and every detail in College Professor terms and use words that leave me tearing out pages in the Websters Dictionary. Doc is wayyyy to smart and puts it all in words way too well. Just wish I knew what broadhead I should use. HeeeHeeee! Sorry Doc! I just couldn't resist! G-Day to you and Cher.

PS. Tell Cher we got the message but it was real garbled by my machine or the satalite phone. CK

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
G'Day Curtis! Yep, that's the one. I keep it out and look at it over and over. Sure wish I knew the setup details. Expecting more this year. The Wanted Posters are out, and I got the broadhead scouts searching for them!

Now Curtis, you know I'm just trying to improve your read'n and write'n skills with them big words ... but you'd learn faster if you'd look 'um up instead of asking Debbie what they mean!

I COULD suggest a broadhead for you ... but then that's WAY too easy!   :goldtooth:  

Ed

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
Thanks Doc.  I will read the TBM article.  Looking foreward to it.  I assume it has your low poundage testing in it.  I've had to go to a lower poundage bow for my shoulder and have had no problems but I'm always interested in what your tests say.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©