3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light Shafts NOT Light Arrows For ACS 50#  (Read 407 times)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
Light Shafts NOT Light Arrows For ACS 50#
« on: June 13, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
I have systematically moved from a heavy Traditional wood grain Gold Tip 55/75 @ 9.3 grains per inch to now using a 400 (55/75)spine Gold Tip Velocity XT at 7.4 grains per inch.  All of my arrows maintain 9 grains per pound so I am at 450 grains total.  I have just shifted the FOC.  I am curious if I you guys think I can get by with actually shooting a 500 spine (6.3gpi)Velocity XT arrow without any spine issues?  I have no issues with arrow flight now and use (4) 4" fletch.  The durability of the Velocity XT is really good even with all of the "stump" shooting I do.  I have put the "Perfect Arrow" set-up as per Ashby/Adcock and  it works great.  I also have no issues with just weighted inserts and no reinforcement inside the shaft itself.  

I would like to get even more FOC and still maintain 9gpi and that is why I am considering the 500 spine.

Do you guys think that is too weak with about 250 grain on the front out of a past center shot bow such as the A&H ACS?

Thanks,

James

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light Shafts NOT Light Arrows For ACS 50#
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
ACS CX 3 pc is cut 3/16 past and needs a stiff arrow. You could build out the side plate to accommodate the shafting you are considering.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
I'm also thinking the 500 will be to light

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Do you mean too weak?

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
Yes, sorry for the confusion.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
I would think it would be to weak with that much weight up front unless you build out the strike plate a lot. A better shaft to start with would be the .400 spine Velocity.
James Kerr

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
cloud, you make want to look at the velocity hv shaft 400 spine 6.4gpi, lighter than the gold tip velocity and slightly smaller diameter.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
With that much weight up front, .500s will be too weak unless you build out the side plate as Bjorn suggests.  That's what I do with .500 Axis shafts and 225 up front out of my 50# ACS, and even then, it's on the edge.  Works better to use .400s and add a little more weight up front.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
I just noticed I posted.....

"I would like to get even more FOC and still maintain 9gpi and that is why I am considering the 500 spine".  When I actually meant "9 grains per pound" to achieve 450 grain arrow.

So are you guys saying a stiffer arrow requires a built up side plate?  What disadvantages are there to this?  Perhaps the arrow pointing more to the left?

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 01:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
With that much weight up front, .500s will be too weak unless you build out the side plate as Bjorn suggests.  That's what I do with .500 Axis shafts and 225 up front out of my 50# ACS, and even then, it's on the edge.  Works better to use .400s and add a little more weight up front.
Not necessarily. Do you have room to cut them shorter than the ones you have now?  dynamic spine on carbons is controlled far more by length than tip weight.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »
"So are you guys saying a stiffer arrow requires a built up side plate?"

For a dynamically weak arrow one can build out the side plate to dynamically stiffen the arrow
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
Cloud:  Just the opposite. A .500 is less stiff than a .400. Because the .500 may be too soft, you can make it act stiffer by building up the side plate, as katman says.  

Beach:  my shafts are as short as i can make them now, 29 inches bop for a 28-inch draw.  I need an inch overhang for broad heads.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
If you looking for a lighter shaft you can still keep a stiffer deflection, you just have to use modern high speed arrows. Victory Vforce HVs, Easton Hexx, or Carbon Tech Cheetahs are some examples. Speed chasers in the compound market have driven very light and stiff arrows that are perfect for exteme foc arrows.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by cloudbaseracer:

...So are you guys saying a stiffer arrow requires a built up side plate?  What disadvantages are there to this?  Perhaps the arrow pointing more to the left?
There are no disadvantages to building out the side plate when the result is an arrow matched to the bow- accuracy down range is the goal, not maintaining center shot-  as stated your most important criteria is a really light arrow, so this is one of the trade offs you might have to live with in that quest.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
Actually my criteria is moving further to an extreme FOC.  I always shoot 9 grains per pound which is not light and I have that with my Velocity XT 400.  I just thought by switching to a 500 I could put that 1.1 grains per inch savings on the front end.  Same total weight but additional 30+ grains on the nose.

I meant to say "weaker" earlier instead of "stiffer".  That was my mistake of a quick post using my phone.  Sorry.

All of my components are Gold Tip so I was hoping to stay with them.  I was not aware of some of these other shafts mentioned with 400 spine at 6.4 grains so thanks guys for that.

I may try to build out the shelf to see how the 500 will perform.  I really like putting the weight up front and notice improvements in a  lot of areas.

Cheers,
James

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
I use the Victory V Force HV .350's and they are identical in dimensions and weight,as the Velocity XT .500's and can use the same components.
What weight bow are you shooting?

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
50# ACS and the Goldtip has a .246 inside diameter. I will have to look up those 350's if they are only 6.3 grains per inch. I bet they are pricey though.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
I think they are 6.4 grs.Price is about $4 more per dozen than the Velocity.It takes a good bit of weight up front on the .350's so your arrow will likely be 650 grs or so in weight.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by cloudbaseracer:
Actually my criteria is moving further to an extreme FOC.  I always shoot 9 grains per pound which is not light

[/QUOTE
Hi James
I should have said that your arrows are light IMO.  ;) .
I was getting at that you have chosen to weld your tune to 9gp#. That criteria is first. Now you are trying to get the most FOC within that limitation.
Interested to see what you come up with.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©