3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: feather chopper not cutting  (Read 322 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
feather chopper not cutting
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
My feather chopper is not cutting. Well, not cutting well. Everything appears to be in tact. I see that there is an adjustment for the depth of the blade. Anyone ever have this issue? This is a second hand chopper I got off a guy on this site.

Just curious.
Hill

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: feather chopper not cutting
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Your cutter blade is probably dull. I don't think you can have the blades factory sharpened anymore and I haven't had much luck doing it myself.  After cutting a lot of feathers, I just bought another chopper.  Also several light hits with a hammer works better than one heavy blow.

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
I think you are right. I've got 75 full length feathers that I really wanted to chop. Too cheap to buy another chopper too. Someone traded this to me and I guess I was not as "sharp" as I should have been when I agreed to it. I don't see any way to sharpen the blade.

justin
Hill

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »
They seem to last longer for me if I use a rubber mallet instead of a steel hammer also.I chop a lot of feathers.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
well, I've got a rubber mallet and I am gonna give that a whirl......

I had a chopper a few years ago and I could not imagine that thing ever NOT WORKING!
Hill

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
time to buy a new chopper.

first time on this site that somebody sold me junk!!!
Hill

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
you might call the company I thought early on you could buy replacement blades from them?   Or get it sharpened.

or just buy a burner and be done with it  ;) !

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Use a diamond stick and it will get sharper if you use good tecnique.  You might also try placing a thin piece of leather or cloth on thetable.  Don't give up on it just yet
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
How is the "anvil" surface. On my old chopper that went first by bending and making bad contact with the blade. The one on mine was galvanized sheet metal and should be easy to replace. Replacing with sheet copper might be easier on the blade too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
I wanted to throw in my 2 cents... I purchased a new chopper and it did not cut good until I started using a wide surfaced rubber mallet. Good luck brother!!!

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
I have a lot of sharpening tools. I am going to take the blade off and see what I can do. I don't really understand the mechanics behind what would have made it stop working. The mallet did seem to produce more of a cut though. LIke most things in archery, I have learned a lot by just trying to figure it out. Wish I could make pretty arrows and good bows!  Thanks for all the input.
Hill

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Necessity is the mother of invention!!!!!!!

Took the blade off. Held it to my paper wheels. Crappy metal so it's hard to raise a burr, but I did get it sharp enough to cut the feather almost with a single whack of the mallet. This warrants more investigation and practice but I will be able to avoid buying a new chopper and for sure another used one!

Thank you all!!!

justin
Hill

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Make sure the chopper is on a hard surface. If it sits on a spongy surface, the energy from hitting it with a mallet will be absorbed.
Ken Thornhill

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
I would think any blade could be sharpened, If a man sharpened the original blade I bettcha I can resharpen it.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
Or....

Just get a bigger hammer and whack it lol. Sorry couldn't resist.   Glad it worked.   You could replace the 'ribbon' with better steel.  Try a machine shop or a plastic place that does packaging.   They usually have a stamping press of some kind.   Same concept.  

I have to push mine to the rear before I whack it to get a clean consistent cut.

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by AkDan:
Or....

Just get a bigger hammer and whack it lol.
I highly encourage this method. I recommend a full 2 handed swing with a 12# sledge hammer(minimum) and then repeat until your arms are tired, or the hammer handle breaks, whichever comes first. Then go buy a feather burner!   :readit:    :bigsmyl:
Darcy   :goldtooth:
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
The cutters obviously can be sharpened.  They can also be purchased and replaced.  Also you can take a piece of band strapping, sharpen it and shape it to fit your chopper thereby making your own cutter.  They are easier to sharpen prior to shaping but can be sharpened after as well.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Caboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
If chopping on a table make sure your chopper is placed directly above a table leg or get down on a cement floor. Also use a non-rebounding hammer(the plastic/nylon type with steel shot inside)for best results.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©