3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adhesion problems with inserts, carbons, and steel adapters  (Read 261 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Adhesion problems with inserts, carbons, and steel adapters
« on: September 23, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
I am having a problem with the glue I am using to bond brass inserts to my carbon shafts, as well as the steel broad head adapter to my broadhead.

I've read through some old post that recommend 24 hour epoxy but I couldn't find any at the hardware store so I went with the longest curing time I could find.

I am using a 60 minute epoxy and after two days of curing the broadhead just twist off the steel adapter with any significant pressure as do some of the inserts in the shafts.

I had this same problem with hot melt glue where the grooves of the steel insert get coated with glue and become a smooth slick surface that has no adhesion at all.  

I'm guessing the surface of the adapter has oil on it.  

How should I clean these surfaces and remove the oil without damaging the shaft?  Also how do you remove old epoxy out of a broadhead and adapter? Right now both are a sticky mess.

I've read a lot of old post about JB Weld.  Where do you find this stuff or 24 hour epoxy?

Thanks for the help.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adhesion problems with inserts, carbons, and steel adapters
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »
Acetone should do the trick to get the oil off the adapter, the inside the shaft, and inside the broadhead ferrule and help to clean out the epoxy. If it's dried, you'll have to scrape it out manually.  Also, make sure both the adapter and broadhead get warm for better adhesion with the hot melt(ferr-l-tite?). Otherwise it won't adhere to the broadhead. Good luck, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adhesion problems with inserts, carbons, and steel adapters
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
Chris, WalMart usually has JB Weld.

I clean the carbons shafts (inside) with isopropyl alcohol (don't use just any 'rubbing alochol') and cotton swabs until the swab comes out totally clean.

It's probably over-kill, but I clean insetrs with a commercial degreaser, rinse them off, then clean them with isopropyl alochol, followed by boiling water (demineralized, available at most supermarkets for use in steam irons). I also use rubber gloves to avoid any accidental contamination with oils from my hands too. I don't have any trouble at all with inserts coming loose!

For steel adaptors to inserts; clean the threads well; as above; and secure them with LocTite. You'll need a bit of heat and pliers to get them back apart.

Ed

ps: I wouldn't use acetone. It desolves the bonding matrix on most carbon shafts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©