3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Capturing the Moment...  (Read 460 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Capturing the Moment...
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Hey Gang,

I've always liked photography but in the past, I could only operate a point and shoot style camera.

Over the past year, I've been reading and watching videos as much as possible to understand how to shoot in manual. Finally, I just decided to dive right in. I purchased a DSLR and decided to learn hands on...

Over the past month, I've been shooting in manual and been trying to take as many images possible while in the field. I've still got lots to learn, but it's been a fun learning experience.

Through photography, how do you guys "Capture the Moment" while in the Great Outdoors? Please be sure to share your ideas and images.

Here's my avatar

Aloha!

Ryan K Sanpei

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Capturing the Moment...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I can't wait to see more of your photos.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
When I would be out I'd always have a UV filter on the lens regardless of what lens or other filter I was using. Cheap and easy to replace a scratched filter, not so with lenses.
Framing the shot helps. If you're taking a shot of a deer that's looking off to the left, put the deer to the right of the frame as to make it look like it's paying attention to something. If you put it on the left it just looks disinterested or bored. You can play with Depth of Field to bring the background into sharp focus or to blur it out to draw attention just to the subject. I would also look into shutter speed. A fast shutter can make fast things appear to stop and fly off the picture. A slow speed can make it look like time has stopped. I would invest in a good wilderness photography book. You'd get a lot better instructions there.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Dorado, thanks for the much appreciated input!

Here's one that I took this week...

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by S2 Bowstrings:
Dorado, thanks for the much appreciated input!

Here's one that I took this week...

Oh not a problem. Glad I can help. About framing the shot. This picture you have. The subject it taking a shot off to the right and you have him framed in the center of the shot. If you were to have him on the left of the shot it would add a little more life to him. A centered subject is fine but playing with positioning can add just a little more to it. You might be able to see it here. Hard to do much with it, But you can probably see what I'm talking about. In (1) He looks interested in something in the distance, while in (2) he looks bored of everything else.
    1)  
   2)  
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
Thanks Dorado,
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Many of these are for my Facebook cover pic, so I wanted the subject in the center. The profile pic covers the left and I can't always get the subject in far the right.

Here's a couple of Staci in our favorite hunting area. A few images are still with phones and point and shoots. Just depends on how much hunting time we have on that specific day...

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
Mash the button a lot and then mash it some more.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline RD808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 01:15:00 AM »
Photography....so much things go into it!!!

Your on the right foot.....shoot in M stay in M, your be a happy camper down the line!!
I need a bomb proof bow....

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 01:28:00 AM »
Come on Riley! Share those images of yours!!!    ;)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
Details of the experience help to tell the story, and make good memories. On a recent hunt, we had gobs of hummingbirds, and 2 of them were nice enough to land on my bow that was hanging on a hook.

Yesterday, I was out stumping, and the cloud formations were interesting, so I tried to capture the scene and include bow and quiver. I used a free HDR (high dynamic range) program to accentuate the clouds.

Don't be afraid to include different aspects of animals that you see. We have all seen lots of whitetail deer flags, but how many take photos?

In short, try and think outside of the box when you have camera in hand.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
Nice pictures!

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Very interesting thread, looking forward to seeing, reading, and learning more on this subject.
Traditional archery and photography just seem to go hand in hand.
Eric
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
That's funny, I usually see deer the same way when hunting!

Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Playing around with different angles on the subject...

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
Scenery, from sea level to 13,000ft...

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
You're lucky. You live in one of the most photogenic places on earth. You'll have lots of opportunities to improve.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline RD808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Well what I do, (im no pro photographer or anything, I just like taking photos) I try to tell a short story with every photo.  Its hard tell what is a "good" photo now days because majority take a photo then edit it so much that its no longer a photo.  Since your shooting on M, figure out the DOF and aperature settings.  That to me is what makes a good photo great and what always makes a great photo a crappy one.  hahaha, I dont know ryan, just take a lot of photos!!!!  

From the photo above, I wanted that photo that describes the early morning hunt on the lavas.  Waiting for the goats to come off and then beginning the stalk.  The time of day was 6:15, the mountain was well lit and there were very harsh shadows.  I used a aperture of 28 because I wanted most of the photo in focus (shooting in a low mm also helps with it).  Because of the harsh shadows I bounced the flash off of the left side off of a rock.  It took most of the harsh stuff away but not fully, a reflector would have been nice but thats just too much to carry.  UV and Polarizing filter on to get correct colors.  I certainly could go back in and edit the shadows out and what not but personally I dont like to do that.  

Hope that helps a bit!!!  

Aloha!
I need a bomb proof bow....

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by J. Holden:
That's funny, I usually see deer the same way when hunting!

Jeremy
Up until recently, I thought deer had 1 brown eye, a white mohawk and ran backwards!   :smileystooges:

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
In the end, good photography is subjective more than anything....and that's why Riley's advice to take lots of photos (and why most photographers do so as well) is most important.  That "one" photo is often as much a result of right place, right time, and being able to take advantage of it, regardless of all the "planning" one can do.  That's not to say that we shouldn't learn to "shoot" photo's right in the first place....just like hunting, you need to have those skills too, so that when that magic moment "happens", your actions become automatic.  

I think in terms of consistent success, the above is more important than the type of camera you pack around.  Being able to frame and shoot a picture, at a moments notice.   And taking a lot of pics to better your odds that "one" will be great.

The biggest advent in photography in recent years has been the digital transition....being able to take lots of pics is a huge advantage.  That, and the equipment is so much better, and the editing abilities has given all of us the potential to be great photographers, with a little bit of knowledge.   Nothing wrong with good point and shoot cameras anymore....and you often need a lot less time to "capture" that shot than with full-sized stuff....and you tend to carry smaller cameras a lot more.  

I think your photos are great, Ryan....keep it up.    

One thing I've always liked, and to me, takes more practice, is good black and white photography.   Composition is much more important when you don't have all that color and grandure to help "wow" your audience.  On the other hand, B&W stuff can evoke a lot of emotions directed more towards the subjective focus.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
In the end, good photography is subjective more than anything....and that's why Riley's advice to take lots of photos (and why most photographers do so as well) is most important.  That "one" photo is often as much a result of right place, right time, and being able to take advantage of it, regardless of all the "planning" one can do.  That's not to say that we shouldn't learn to "shoot" photo's right in the first place....just like hunting, you need to have those skills too, so that when that magic moment "happens", your actions become automatic.  

I think in terms of consistent success, the above is more important than the type of camera you pack around.  Being able to frame and shoot a picture, at a moments notice.   And taking a lot of pics to better your odds that "one" will be great.

The biggest advent in photography in recent years has been the digital transition....being able to take lots of pics is a huge advantage.  That, and the equipment is so much better, and the editing abilities has given all of us the potential to be great photographers, with a little bit of knowledge.   Nothing wrong with good point and shoot cameras anymore....and you often need a lot less time to "capture" that shot than with full-sized stuff....and you tend to carry smaller cameras a lot more.  

I think your photos are great, Ryan....keep it up.    

One thing I've always liked, and to me, takes more practice, is good black and white photography.   Composition is much more important when you don't have all that color and grandure to help "wow" your audience.  On the other hand, B&W stuff can evoke a lot of emotions directed more towards the subjective focus.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©