3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Noisey bow help  (Read 235 times)

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Noisey bow help
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Here's a subject thats been breeched on here before but each bow has its own unique set of issues, so here I go with mine..!! My 59' Kodiak repro...47#@ 28"...Which is my draw length...60" Holcomb 1959 Kodiak is a stellar shooting recurve. It came with standard tiller which I figured was fine. However, I discovered 3 fingers under about the time I recieved it and shot it this way very accurately but it was noisey. I tried compensating by raising my nock point and going to a traditional feather rest, which gets me an additional 1/4"-5/16" above shelf height. Im even nock pointed 3/8"  above the rest..!! Arrow flight is great...no porpoising..! I even replaced
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Noisey bow help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
part 2....I even replaced the 14 strand B-50 with an 8 strand SBD fsst flight string. I put velcro on the tip curves and raised brace to 8 1/2"....still get thst buzzy thump. I checked the bow from stem to stern....sound and tight. Its reeeaaaallly irritating me..!!  HELP..!! Any thought are appreciated....thx in advance....John

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
Oh....I forgot....SBD's  rubber cat whiskers.....plus I've also had string leeches on there WITH the whiskers. It looked like an Amish clothesline.....a NOISEY Amish clothesline. frustrating...

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
mite try moving your cat whiskers around a little. skinny strings are typically louder.

whats your arrow weight. staying around 10 gpp or above will help with noise.
Kevin Day

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Three under is almost always noisier than split finger because folks usually have to raise the nock point quite a bit higher, changing the tiller ever so slightly.  Going to a feather rest, which is even higher than the leather or velcro that was probably there initially, exacerbates the problem because it forces you to raise the nock point even more.

Fast flite type strings are also usually noisier, at least higher pitched, than dacron strings.  A lot of folks use cat whiskers, but they give off what I consider a buzzy sound as well.  I use Wooly Whispers instead.  Any residual string noise is more muffled, I think.

Of course, as Karrow has pointed out, a light arrow also contributes to more string noise. Good luck.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
yes, when I shoot 9 grain per pound carbons it is much worse. it is even noisy with my 13 grain per pound ash shafts. but not as noisy obviously. I have shot D 97 fast flight along with some of the other space age materials. I did shoot woolie whispers before these. I'm really believing it's the three finger under deal that's causing me the problems. I will take quiet over speed any day of the week.  I love three under, but may have to switch.?? thx for helping. by the way, the Cedars I was shooting yesterday were right at five hundred grains.....47# bow. kepthe info coming guys....THANKS..!

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
yes, when I shoot 9 grain per pound carbons it is much worse. it is even noisy with my 13 grain per pound ash shafts. but not as noisy obviously. I have shot D 97 fast flight along with some of the other space age materials. I did shoot woolie whispers before these. I'm really believing it's the three finger under deal that's causing me the problems. I will take quiet over speed any day of the week.  I love three under, but may have to switch.?? thx for helping. by the way, the Cedars I was shooting yesterday were right at five hundred grains.....47# bow. kepthe info coming guys....THANKS..!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
On several of my bows, I've found that even spacing of the silencers doesn't work. I tried the idea of trying to cancel 1st and 2nd harmonics of the string vibration and you might give that a try. I locate the upper silencer 1/4 of the length of the string from the upper notch and the lower silencer 1/3 of the way from the lower nock.

Can't take credit for the idea, but it does seem to work well on several of my bows.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Thats what helps my bows alot. Measuring string length, divide by four and then by three, place yarn silencers at those measurments.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Some bows seem to "like" one material over another.  In general, the quietest materials seems to be the dyneema/vectran blends such as 450+, 452X, and BCY-X.  The X is my favorite.  For me, a moderate strand count works best.

Tune without silencers to find the optimal brace height--the spot with the least noise/vibration.

Add silencers and tune those as well--a half-inch can make a big difference with some bows.

Placing one silencer on the 1/3 point and the other on the 1/4 point seems to work.  If you use cat whiskers, make sure they aren't too long.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Play with your brace height a little more. It isnt a set distance but varible with different bow/arrow/form combinations. Some bows are more "picky" than others to be right on the sweet spot.......also a well built B50 string always seems more quiet to me.................YMMV
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
For me, putting to much tension on the string with the ring finger will make my bows buzz. My bows get quiet when almost all of the tension is on my index and middle finger and my ring finger is just resting on the string. I have to use a deep hook and a relaxed hand and forearm.

May not be your problem, but might be worth a try.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:
On several of my bows, I've found that even spacing of the silencers doesn't work. I tried the idea of trying to cancel 1st and 2nd harmonics of the string vibration and you might give that a try. I locate the upper silencer 1/4 of the length of the string from the upper notch and the lower silencer 1/3 of the way from the lower nock.

Can't take credit for the idea, but it does seem to work well on several of my bows.
"Heterodyning silencers.  I had noise on my TT Titan III with long limbs.  I tried a piece of velcro under the string at the grooves as well as going from spider legs to fur balls and that helped a bit.  I got my best results with the 3/4 method explained above.  I get a bit of noise with carbons, but 2018s of 2117s are real quiet.  Although not any heavier than the aluminum, when I try cedars from a friend, it really goes dead.  I think the hollow arrow shaft contributes to noise on a bow.
I too shoot three under.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©