3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hello and questions  (Read 513 times)

Offline doubletap

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello and questions
« on: September 23, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »
Hello all. I was hoping to find a good internet site to learn about "traditional" bow hunting and it sure looks like I found it.

I have an old Ben Pearson Palomino that is in fantastic condition but I don't know a thing about what I need in the way of arrows, broadheads, etc. I went to a local shop today and bought half a dozen Easton arrows with 125 grain practice points just to get me started.

I haven't shot this thing in over 20 years but it sure seems to shoot nice. It's a 45# rated bow at 28" draw but I'm a big guy and I'm drawing closer to 29-30". I shot twelve shots at the indoor range (20 yds) and put ten of them within about 1 foot. The kid at the counter couldn't believe I hand't shot a bow in over 20 years so I guess I did something right.

I've read a lot on this site about "instinct shooting" and I guess that's what I do. Back when I used to shoot with my dad in the early 70's that's the only way we knew how to shoot.

I'm getting into bow hunting because my business partner challanged me to. He shoots one of those fancy bows with wheels and gadgets all over it and I think it's downright ugly and overly complicated. So I decided to pull my old Pearson out of the closet and give it a try.

As you can tell by the login name I'm a handgun nut when it comes to hunting. I haven't shot a rifle in years but I need a new challange so I guess this is it.

I welcome all information because I'm as green as they come.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hello and questions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Welcome   :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
Sounds like you are on the right path. You didn't state what size arrows you got, but I am guessing at your draw and a 125 head that 2016 ought to suit you well. The Ben Pearson bows are dynamite little shooters, I own several. Glad to have you with us.

Hard to do a double tap with a Ruger Bisley..  ;)  
Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Dwight, you've just found the best place in all cyberspace to get good answers about traditional bowhunting.   :thumbsup:  Welcome aboard.

Killdeer, I always figured you for the .50 Cal. Action Express, take no hostages type!

Ed

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
.50 round ball, maybe...but I like all flavors of .45.  :bigsmyl:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Crazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
Welcome to the site, I'm new here also but I will help if I can.
If one person calls you a Jackass, ignore him. If ten people call you  Jackass, go out and buy a saddle.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
Welcome Home....  :wavey:    :campfire:    :archer:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline doubletap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the welcome. I'm looking forward to learning a lot here.

As for the arrows Killdeer I don't know the nomenclature for Easton but the shaft says "Axis" and "500". There is a number that looks like a product code that ends in 2200 if that is what you are referring to. I went with whatever thecounter guy at the store recommemded.

Can anyone recommend hunting points for me? I'll be trying my hand at turkey, deer, hog and possibly rabbit.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no carbons!  :scared:  

Magnus Stingers fly well for me, since you are looking for screw-ins. I haven't any experience with their performance, but I have heard good things about them. Folks will soon inundate you with a plethora of choices.

Can we say "plethora" here?  :confused:  
Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
really sharp ones work best!  hey welcome to the   :campfire:

there's a bunch of us on here that like to cut up and be sarcastic but in truth it's all part of the fun.

as for broadheads you are going to get lot's of answers to that one i suspect. IMO they are all good if they are razor sharp and you put them in the boiler room of the critter you are shooting at. some are easier to sharpen than others.  

take a look at Dr. Ashby Reports which should give you a good place to start.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline doubletap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
I sense a "plethora" of sarcasm in the air.

Seriously though I'm all about learning right now so all input and opinion is welcomed. I realize that there is no perfect broadhead since that varies depending on each individuals set up and shooting style. Just as there is no perfect load or bullet in handgun competition and hunting. I'm looking for some starting points. I wouldn't shoot "cowboy loads" in my Vaquero if I was trying to kill a hog but I know that. I don't, however, know if a 125 grain broadhead on a Easton Axis 500 shaft shot from my 45# bow will do the job on a hog. I know the accuracy part is on me but I want to know what "bullet" is best for what.

By the way, a doubletap with a Bisley is indeed possible. It's just like shooting traditional bow......practice, practice, practice.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Welcome aboard! You found the right place to get help. Don't have much experience with carbons, but the .500's should be close to what you need if they're long enough. As far as what broadheads to shoot, that's more of a personal choice.Any good cut on contact head will work. Good arrow flight is more important than which bh you use.imho

BTW That Pearson Palomino is supposed to be a real sweet shooter.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
Nope, no sarcasm. A lot of baloney, but no sarcasm.   :smileystooges:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline doubletap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Bender - I have a Pearson Mustang as well but the Palomino is definitely a level or two above it in smoothness. Even the kid at the indoor range couldn't believe how well it shot. The Axis 500's seem to fly true and group very well. Of course I've shot it 12 times so I can't speak much about consistency....yet.

Killdeer - If you send your Bisley to Bob Munden he can fix that little problem   :jumper:

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Welcome doubletap, 125gr B/H will take about any thing you throw at it, as long as it's fairly sharp. I would go with a two blade or maybe even a three as long as it cuts on impact.   :thumbsup:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
48-51 pounds is plenty good for what you want to hunt, and that is what you are pulling at your draw. The total weight of the shaft means more to me than the weight of the broadhead. I like to shoot at least ten grains per pound of pull. My hunting shafts are ash, and weigh a bit over 11 g/pp. I use point weight more as a spine-tuning tool than anything else. I don't go delving into all the FOC numbers, if it flies right I shoot it. That being said, if you are shooting a reasonably heavy shaft, and the head it likes is 125 grains, and it flies well, then go forth, my friend, and enjoy.

Killdeer~Problem?  :confused:  
Those boys are staying right here with me!  :readit:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
What Killy said............
Bret M. FullER

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Doubletap, you oughta talk to Van/TX about the palomino.

Edit: BTW When I'm not carrying my woodbows and bamboo arrows, I have a 62" pearson cougar that is [email protected] shoot 31" 6075 cx terminators with a 160 gr grizzly and a 125gr steel adapter. Total arrow weight is ~600 grains, pretty heavy but they fly great and pack a wallop.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
SHARP!! get your broadheads of what ever kind sharp and hunt with them sharp; don't sharpen them; then shoot into a target EVEN ONCE without resharpening!! Shaving sharp !  Welcome aboard!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline doubletap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Ok, I'm reading and trying to learn here so let me run this past you fine folk.

As I said earlier my bow is rated 45# @ 28". I'm pulling about 29.5" so let's say I'm shooting about 48#. I currently have Easton Axis ST 500 arrows which are 30" long. At 8.1 gr/in the bare shafts calculate to 243 grains. Add in the HIT insert at 16 grains and a 125 grain broadhead and I'm sitting at 384 grains total.

I'm reading on this site where many of you are shooting 500, 600 even 700 grains.

Am I way under my optimum weight for this bow?

Should I look at aluminum shafts with weight tubes instead of carbon?

Help!   :confused:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©