3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which carbons have the tightest spine values?  (Read 559 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Which carbons have the tightest spine values?
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
It's pretty lame that a guy can spend over a $100 on a dozen Axis carbons and only a few of the shafts are the same spine.  After my own frustrations, I've done enough research to find that this is a pretty typical situation.

What brand and model of shafts have you guys found to be the most consistent?  Or do you know of any retailers who are selling carbons that have been hand checked and sorted for spine?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which carbons have the tightest spine values?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Good question
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Carbon express has a few lines that speak of spine tolerance, look at their website. Some manufacturers will match you a set if you call and complain. Some of this is the vendors as well.
I had an issue with Victory and they offered to make it right, I was too pissed to take them up on it though.
I think CE shaft line is the Mayheim and believe Carbon Tech has a spine tolerance as well.
A quick look at CE's website shows matched sets in 6 and 12 with spine tolerance like .0025 or something

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Mike, how do you know the spines were different? (future knowledge for myself) were they mismatched? Or all matched, but some didn't fly right?

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
What rangedeviation are you finding?
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I have always been a fan of GoldTips.  I also find them to be straighter than marked.  I have never seen carbons hand spined by a retailer.
In playing with a home made wood spine tester, I found that carbons don't always hit marked spine.  They usually run heavier than marked.  
I recently bought a dozen of the GT Velocity shafts in .400 spine.  I wanted a lighter shaft that would take a heavy insert and tip.  The GTs offer a 50 grain insert and also additional weights in 10, 20 and 50 grains.  Eastons do not allow for the addition of weight to an insert.
Ironically, I am trying to sell them as I am going to shoot my aluminums.  Never the less, great arrows.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Easton, and most other carbon shaft manufacturers, doesn't use the same parameters for measuring spine as those used for measuring wood shafts.  The carbon folks use a 1.94# weight and measure the spine in the center of the shaft between two posts 28 inches apart.  Wood shafts are usually measured with a 2# weight on posts set 26 inches apart.  The First method yields a considerably higher spine.  For example, an Easton carbons shaft spined .40 is 72#; .40 using the 2# weight at 26 inches is 65#.

Regardless, the shafts within a particular spine rating should be pretty close to one another.  It's pretty easy to get wood shafts spined within 5# of one another.  Carbon should be able to match that, though apparently that's not always the case.  Regardless, most folks can't tell the difference in 5# of spine anyway.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
I have been partial to gold tips, although I do not spine test per say, but each shaft gets bare shafted before fletching, rarely find one that is way off.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
The only thing better about a carbon shaft compared to an aluminum shaft is the carbon is stronger. If you want straight and spine to match not only in a dozen that you buy this week but the next you buy in two months then its aluminum all the way. An Easton aluminum xx78 will be .001 straight and every shaft you buy now or later will be the same spine.

With all that said i shoot the  Carbon express Heritage shaft. Go figure.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
2x what wtpops said .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
Although I haven't bought any new shafts in awhile, the Bemans I've been using have the closest spine and weight matches I've found. Things may have changed, but I hope they haven't.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Forgot to say I use Beman Bowhunter 300's
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I don't have a spine tester that has 1.94lbs and 28" posts but I still run my carbons on mine just to see if they are matched. I have only used Easton and Victory and my sets are matched in spine and weight.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
I'm also pretty sure that Easton manufactures Beman and Victory manufactures Gold Tip so if the standards match (or don't) on one brand they would be consistent on the other.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
I can tell you that it is NOT Gold Tip!

I bought a spine tester a couple years ago. When I started running shafts through it, it blew my mind how wide of a range there is (as much as .050 difference from weakest to stiffest) I have probably put 30 dozen 55/75's (it says .400 on the arrow and on their website) through that spine tester and have yet to see a single one spine at .400! They are all stiffer than .400.

It really does not matter though. My bow is tuned for those arrows. What I do is run every shaft through the spine tester, and group the shafts into .010 deflection groups. I am not too concerned with each group and have almost eliminated "flyers" by doing it this way.

Bisch

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Troy,
Question, What is the full length of the bemoan .300?  I have been using the Three Rivers Trad .300.  And they have been excellent in spine tolerance and straightness. I think they are made by easton? doesn't easton own beman?  The trad .300 are the only shaft I can find that is long enough to give me a little room for excitement and tuning. They are advertised 33" but it's more like  32-3/4".
Anyhow, it looks like the beman bowhunter .300 is identical, but a few grains lighter. And maybe I find them on sale somewhere, someday and load up. Just wondering if I can use them.
Also, are you out of the wood arrow biz completely? I killed my first wood arrow deer with one of yours. I used to get some from you and some from Larry at lost nation. Man I would go through them like crazy! I still like wood.
Somehow my draw length grew over the years and I exceeded normal wood shaft dimensions.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
What Bisch said.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
I wish I could shoot good enough to tell the the difference in .050 spine deflection.....just sayin'

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I've noticed that carbons tend to be on the stiff side but very consistent in flight. I'm inclined to believe that carbons just aren't real sensitive to variations in spine. At least as measured by typical spine testers.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I can tell you that it is NOT Gold Tip!

Bisch
You're not kidding Bisch. GTs are the worst I've seen. Easton, CX and Victory have been the most consistent arrow to arrow.  When they are off, it usually the whole dozen being mislabeled.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©