3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting Colorado OTC  (Read 345 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunting Colorado OTC
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
A few years ago several of us met to hunt a draw unit. It was limited to ten and there was 15 guys on the list. When it was all said and done, 8 of us hunted out of a base camp in different directions. We had 3 shot opportunities that first year and it was a great time.  The very next year, on the first night of the hunt, I called in a bull for the guy I partnered with. With two years of waiting, I have decided to go OTC in one of two spots where I know there have been elk in the past. You know things can change dramatically in the elk woods from year to year in the same area.  Some years are better than others in my opinion. After hunting with a guide one year back in 2005, I came home and decided to educate myself on bivy hunting. It is more of an obsession.  This year, I plan on driving out Thursday evening before the opener on the 30th and returning the weekend of the 13th.  Due to some home issues,my hunting partner in TN is unable to go.  I have made the drive a few times by myself but up it seems like it gets longer each time. I know Gil has down it in the past. Has anyone else considered driving across country..
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting Colorado OTC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Cyclic Rivers and I went out 2 or 3 years ago and did an over the counter hunt. Camped at 9,000 feet and hunted from there for a week......it was great. Drove straight thru on the way out and stayed over one night on the way home. We didn't get anything but had fun and learned a lot!! That's camp in my Avatar.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
Sent you a pm. Yes I'll drive across the country with you.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
Well, Tim... you know I drive it pretty much every year. Only once did I drive it solo though.

I don't mind driving and did fine by myself... kind of enjoyed it actually. Took the van and threw a mattress in the back after stowing the seats. Worked out good for me. 12 hours on the road the first day and 11 the second.

Before heading in I did spend a night in a motel and got a good nights rest and picked up last minute items. Looks like I may be driving solo this year... yet to be determined though.

Good luck Tim
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Wayne, I wish I was retired. I would take my time and probably take the horses and fly fish along the way.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
Kudos  to you guys driving all that way. And then hiking in and hunting. And then driving back...I think the drive back would kill me as it's difficult to do and I live here.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
I drive to Texas by myself every year and to Colorado in 2009 from Maryland.  Books on tape are your friend.  Have driven out a few times with a partner and it is definitely better.  Might be making the trip this year depending on how I feel.  I have a pickup with a small camper and when I get tired just pull over and sleep a few hours.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
Not by myself, 4 of us are driving from SC to CO for OTC hunt. It's our first time so there will be a lot of learning going on.

Can't wait.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
Mark, sometimes you just got to do it.  You might go out and shoot a good one. They are definitely not like hunting whitetail.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
I've made many trips west, usually with someone else but have also done more than a few solos. The drive is all about your mindset. I consider myself "on vacation" from the moment I leave the driveway.  The drive is a part of the trip.

Sure, I wish I could somehow skip the drive, but I much prefer it to flying for a hunting trip.  I like being able to bring piles of gear - and hopefully coolers filled with meat on the drive home.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
We have a group of four that normally goes. We split up the driving which makes it  really nice.   Also helps if someone in your group is familiar with the area to point you in the right. Direction. We hunt out of a main camp and walk in every morning. I've been thinking about the biviy hunting just to cut down on the walking and getting further away form all the hunting pressure.  Good luck to all

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
I don't even like to drive across the state! But after moving here eight years ago and getting hooked on elk hunting, if I lived elsewhere i'd be driving however far I had too!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Here are some tips that may make it easier on yourself. This is what I do when driving across the US
!) bring the food you like- pack a nice big cooler with your favorite stuff and make your own breakfasts,lunches and snacks.
 Besides being better for you than grab and go meals, you will feel better. Pack pre-washed fruits and veggies like apples oranges and carrots. Pack iced drinks and not just soda but milk and juice.
I don't know why, but having a glass of cold milk and a good sandwitch for a snack makes a difference in how I feel when driving over grabbing fast food.  Saves money too.

2) take a break every 3 hrs for a half hour. Makes a huge difference in perceived boredom, and gets your mind out of that "got to get there now!" rut.

3) limit total drive time behind the wheel to 10-12hrs.

Anyway, that is how I do it now that I don't want to arrive feeling like I was shot out of a canon.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
swing by and pick me up, that way you'll only be solo for a fraction of the trip...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Since I am going to Southern Colorado, I might drive route 40 all the way out then cut up. I usually drive up and take 70. According to mapquest, it would save an hour.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©