3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavier arrow suggestions?  (Read 248 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavier arrow suggestions?
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
I'm currently shooting Gold Tip Expedition Hunters, 7595 stuffed with packing peanuts, regular aluminum adapters and a 250 grain point.  They can blast through marine grade plywood with no difficulties, so they definitely have some kinetic energy.  But they didn't shoot right until I stuffed them slap full of foam and weighted the nock region.  Currently they fly like lasers but I'm still getting some hand shock.  I lost quite a bit going to heavier points, so I'm figuring a heavier shaft will help.

I'm shooting a custom horn bow pulling around 45 or so pounds and shoot thumb style with a ring.  The bow tends to like heavier weights and higher spine-the arrows that I modified were making 3" groups at 80 feet, with a few Robin Hoods thrown in.  I've really got a bow that's more capable than I am, so I'm trying to bring my game up.

I'm considering footed wood and fiberglass.  Anything else I should be looking at for hunting and general target practice (can be two different shafts if it would be better.)

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavier arrow suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:50:00 AM »
Whats the total arrow weight?
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavier arrow suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
8.9gpi at 32", plus tip, nock and fletching.  So 284.2 grains, plus 250 for point, roughly 20 grains for fletching and nock... That comes out to 554 grains, give or take a few decimal points.  It has enough kinetic energy to splinter 3/8" marine grade plywood at 80 feet, which is about all my eye can handle after the stroke.  It probably picked up a bit after being packed with foam packing peanuts but not enough to suit, it seems.

I have an EFOC setup here, but it doesn't fly exactly like I want it to.  I'm looking for something a bit stouter, and I'm considering 3/8" birch.  Especially after footing, they look like they'll give me the balance I want.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©