3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I drew a tag!!! MT Mtn Goat  (Read 975 times)

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I drew a tag!!! MT Mtn Goat
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
my dream hunt....so I'll live it thru you for now.  Hunt safe!   :archer:
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline LoreVa13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
Congrats and good luck!!!
“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

Black Widow PMA III 64" 64@30
Sarrels Bobbcatt 62" 51@30

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Can't get the hunt off my mind.  We got some weather here in the beginning of the week and my pals in the wilderness tell me the snow fell pretty deep (15+") and to wait a little before scouting.  

I have been getting info from a few others who knew those who have had tags in the district.  What do you know?  The goat are on top of the mountains.  So excited!

I decided it would be good to get familiar with shooting an all white animal and been able to judge its distance based on its size, though I want it spittn' distance away.  Regardless I put this target together today and am really liking it.  1/4" Ply with some white styro-foam behind it.  Its a little louder than I'm used to for town, but that's ok.  I feels so nice to see those arrows sinking in to a white backdrop.

I used so old shafts to tack it in place on the bales.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Dean,
Congratulations on the goat tag, and thanks for making the time to let us follow along;I'm looking forward to following it.  If you have any friends, or know somebody with an airplane you can save a lot scouting time by paying for a couple of hours of fuel. By the end of July and throuh August it is easy to spot the lone Billy's from the air.  Take a gps and mark way points wherever you see one and then map them out using a mapping program such as Google Earth.

The bottom four to six inches of the chest is all hair, pick a spot about half way down from the top of the back.  Practice shooting at steep and awkward angles, most likely you will not have a level shot.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Well, I guess the tag is for mountain goat from the pics tippit posted. What is the BOB?

Sounds like you drew a good tag in a good area so........

GOOD LUCK!

Bisch

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
The BOB is the Bob Marshal Wilderness Complex.  It comprise three wilderness areas; Scapegoat Wilderness, Great Bear, and the BOB.  All three comprise 1.5 million square acres.  Lots of untrammeled land.  It does have ranger stations in the wilderness to help facilitate the clearing of trails and such.  At the stations the employees are allowed to use certain tools you normally couldn't.  In the wilderness, you can't use and machines.  No chainsaws, no four wheelers!!, no bicycles, etc.  Foot and horse/mule, or raft are the modes of travel.  I have lots of friends back there.  Strong men clearing trail with crosscuts and axes.  The pictures look ancient sometimes.

Sam the Man doing what he does best.

Walt, thanks for the advice, but I think I am going to do this all by the ground.  Like I said, I have a lot of buddies back there and I might be able to get a mule train wrangled up pretty easily.  I'm planning to walk in there soon with some buddies, one of which might hook it up with some gear for product testing.  

Guys, thanks for your responses. The trad thing has totally enveloped me, and through this site I have learned a ton.  I'm glad I have an opportunity to contribute something.  This is a huge undertaking.  I need all the help I can get.  This thread might go stale in a while; I may be hitting the road for some work soon.  When I start getting some good beta on the area, with pics or course, I might start up a new thread.  MT Mtn Goat!!!!!!

Caught these guys crossing drainages last year in the eastern BOB.

Surfing goat country in the Swan.  Western border of the BOB.

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Cool deal!

Best of luck to you!

Bisch

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
Hey guys.  Just got back from a 68+ mile through hike of the Bob.  I have been in parts of the Bob, but never so deep.  The country is magnificent. I am so glad I drew this tag where I did.  It will be difficult, but the hunt I have always dreamed of.

I have been worried about giving out the info of where I will be as any good spot is worth keeping, but if I ever met any of you back there with a trad bow we would both be happy to see each other.  All of this country is awesome for elk.  The only negative is it is open to rifle Sept 15.  

A good friend Brian and I started at the Silvertip trailhead on the south side of Hungry Horse resevior.  We hiked about 9 miles until we hit a camp that will be occupied by a friend of a friend.  K**** (female) will be starting up her grandfathers outfitting camp again.  He has not been able to upkeep the camp the past few years.  She is now taking responsibility for the camp and what are the chances that it would be in the same drainage I need to be in!  I have played phone tag with her, but she left a message saying she would be happy to pack myself and friends in.  I'm thinking two mules would be enough.  My 10x13 Snow Trekker wall tent and stove only weighs 56 lbs. I think so misc extras and food would be covered if they can carry 250ish lbs.

Tested out my new Stone Glacier Sky 5400 pack on this trip as well and it was a pleasure.  Can't wait to stuff it with some game.

Brian and I made it to the bench on the NE side of Silvertip mtn at about 7500 feet.  We camped there for the night.  This evening and tomorrow we would be in the heart of the country I will be hunting so I wanted to glass hard.  Unfortunately we only saw one goat.  I am not dismayed though.  Hearing reports of friends out of Big Prairie, they had been seeing groups sometimes into the 30s.  We were on the east side looking west which was much snowier than the west sides of the mountains.  I mentioned this hunch to Brian and it was confirmed when Sam told us of countless goats he saw.  I asked him what side and he responded "west".  He actually had some mules escape and talked of their ability to stay on trail even in, what he said, six feet of snow. Still some snow up there.  

From there we made it around the bench where we saw the one nanny.  We bushwacked a few miles down to Juliet creek and made are way down the White River. Gorgeous!  Beautiful, untrammeled country.  There were tons on wolf and bear prints as well making the pucker factor high.  Brian got ahead of me because I was still bothering to take my shoes of at crossing.  I made it to a nice camp N of the brushy park and a wolf started barking at me.  I told him I thought it was a dog, but we both chuckled at that notion as we hadn't seen a human print for miles and no one was up there.  Very spooky. We made a camp at Needle falls and had the most beautiful stumping/shooting practice ever.

After that, the rest was just a pleasure cruse.  We stayed for a few days at Big Prairie, made some awesome benches with cross cuts, draw knifes, and planes to even up for the nice hot meals we received.  We exited via Gordon creek and I saw some nice bulls below Wolverine peek at about 8:30 pm.  Made 22 miles and probably over 3000' gain that day.  Hell of a trip.

Planning on going back soon and spending all of my time in goat country.  We had been talking for to long of going into Big Prairie so that why we got sucked that way.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
You are living the dream! Congrats for your weapon of choice and your comitment. You deserve that tag.   :clapper:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
Wow what a hunt! Thanks for taking the time to post the story and pictures! Very cool... good luck to you, be safe   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
Great hunt coming up! Don't forget pics.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
Awesome!!!

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Wow.... A hunt of a lifetime in, from what I know of MT.... In some OUTstanding

....."I'll eat tag before I shoot one with anything other than my longbow"

That in itself is gold!

Best of luck mate!
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Great looking country!  

Kinda gets me back in the mood to pull stakes and relocate...
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Best of luck and looking forward to reading along!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
Awesome is the only word to describe it.

Really looking forward to the story, one of my dream hunts.

Hard workers seem to be the luckiest, and I dont think thats a coincidence. Good luck anyways from Bozeman!!!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
Best of luck to you and thank you for bringing us along.  The Bob is a beautiful landscape and you are definitely living the dream.  Looking forward to your updates!
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 07:40:00 AM »
Best of Luck! Thanks for bring us along.    :bigsmyl:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
I haven't spent any of my Montana time in the Bob, but that's just cause there is so much of Montana to explore. That there is some beautiful country. Congratulations on the tag, and thanks for sharing the story with us!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
congrats! good luck to you on the hunt!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©