3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I drew a tag!!! MT Mtn Goat  (Read 972 times)

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I drew a tag!!! MT Mtn Goat
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Congrats.  I'm excited just reading along and seeing the pics.  You'll have a lot of jealous men (and women) following you on this one.  Good luck.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
I lived in Kallispel for a couple of years and where your at is as remote as it gets!!!!!

Is that the "China Wall" in one of your pics?

So cool to fallow along with you on your dream hunt and look forward to more updates  :clapper:    :pray:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
That is not the "Chinese Wall".  The wall in the picture is just the east side of Silvertip Mtn (only 3 miles long, haha).  I've been told by my buds who work back there that this country is the wilderness withing the wilderness.  IT IS the most remote you can get in the lower 48.  So awesome.  Here is a video describing the area (not mine).  The top of the Chinese Wall is my eastern boundary.  If you stop at about 1:00 you can see Turtlehead mountain (slight turtle head like knob on the right), and Pagoda.  I think Pagoada will be my furthest southern reach.  I will try to stick around Silvertip and Lone Butte though a fellow back in Big Prairie told me he saw 30 some goats at larch hill pass on my side of the wall.  It will be another option.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
Congrats, and the best of luck. Even the scouting should be a blast.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
Wow, I am soooo jealous!!! The pics remind me of home! I grew up in Wyoming and roamed the big horns thru my childhood! Brings back a ton of memories of hunting and camping trips! Been trying to draw for archery elk for years. Awesome stuff! Keep it coming!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Awesome that you finally drew a goat tag.  Like some folks already said, I think your choice of weapon is a good choice...doing it the hard way is also my way of hunting. Good Luck...I'll patiently wait to hear about how your hunt goes.

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
Awesome that you finally drew a goat tag.  Like some folks already said, I think your choice of weapon is a good choice...doing it the hard way is also my way of hunting. Good Luck...I'll patiently wait to hear about how your hunt goes.

Offline Ed Race

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
As a guy who will most likely never get to see or hunt those mountains, I would like to echo the appreciation of you sharing this awesome experience.  I hope to see future posts on this thread!

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
I'm back.  I kind have been regretting posting seeing everyone's success with the trad bows.  Unfortunately I had to put mine down with the rifle.  I did stick it first though.  Here's the story.

We had 14 days to have a camp dropped up Silvertip Creek.  The idea was I was going to go in a day early to scout the area for camp and make sure no one else took it.  When I left there was 2" of snow on my hood and entering the mountains was cold.  Plus the mountain I was going to hunt was VERY white and looked trecherous.  I made it about 14 miles? in to where the camp was supposed to be.  I heard they had cleared trail to this flat and there was water.  Well, the water wasn't there.  Hiking the extra 2 miles steeply uphill had me wore out and I settled in for the night.  I heard it was record lows and 22 where my buddies came from.  Felt like the teens to me and my frozen boots were a chore to put on the next morning.

So I searched around for the better part of the morning looking for the spring (that I later found out was another 4 miles further on the other side of this pass) and went down to the creek.  I first met Sam at around 3:30pm.  He said the packers were not far behind.  I explained the situation and we decided the clear clean creek was the place to be so we settled in.  The packers were soon there and Mike and Brian came down from where I was, making a big ridge run.  They also said they found no water, but had a big billy on video.  Morale was high.

Mike was my wing man and we established a camp at a pass of sorts a 7500ft.  Goats were everywhere.  Lots of nannies with kids and billies here and there.  Luckily the weren't very high, they were just occupying steep terrain.

After lots of days getting close (75 yards and under) to many goats I was staring to get the feel for them.  I actually missed a goat twice on day 2 at a range too far.   Luckily I was so nerved I missed the side of the barn.  35 minutes later after a long staring contest that was filmed I got another shot at one of the two and it went right over his back.  I was embarrassed, ashamed, let down and not feeling good.  I felt awesome all year practicing and I fell apart.  So day 6 rolls around.  I had been on the wall literally for hours each day.  The goats would bed, then come out and feed one direction or the other and I was trying to get myself at a good ambush spot.  Some of these spots required climbing 20 or so feet up to ledges.  In the morning I spotted a billy very close to camp.  I put the sneak on and within hours I was climbing another 20 feet or more to a ledge the billy occupied.  When I stepped around the corner he was under 20 yards a way, but I thought he was already standing and was partially obscured. The ledges and wall there are cryptic.  Well, he jumped up quickly, turned his back to me, and I waved goodbye.  I was the best stalk I have ever had and still no Billy.  I went back to the high camp and found Mike.  He expected I would be there since in was raining all morning at the clouds were in camp.  I was going to give it a rest for the evening, but with goats in view I was soon in the cliffs again.  

Getting to the slope requires climbing.  Some is just steep talus and scree.  Others is hands on with the bow and quiver draped over the neck.  You would need to enter the slope at specific spots so you could run a drainage to the base of the wall without being detected.  From there you could wait for the goats to dip in out out of the terrain for you to move.  Unfortunately they are SO Slow.  No to mention their eyes are sharp.  I got to within 125 yards of the same Billy from the morning.  I was staying out of site.  Suddenly I noticed him alert, but not at me.  I looked where he was and he was keen on Mike walking below probably 500 yards away.  The goat started coming toward me at a good rate of speed for them.  I didn't expect it to go down where I was so I picked the biggest rock I could which felt like half of a canoe hull.  I got as low as I could face in the gravel trying to stay low.  It was silent for a moment then he moved again and it was clear he was going to be right in front of me.  He stopped on a ledge 20ft up probably 15 yards away.  He was somewhat broadside with his right leg kind of guarding the sweet spot.  It looked doable and this was my chance.  I drew back, picked a spot, and loosed.  I saw the arrow go about halfway in.  He then ran to my right with the arrow looking like it was in a perfect spot.  Mike yells "Did you stick him".  "Yeah", "He's bleeding in the right spot".  I immediately start bombing downhill.  I want to see this goat. Mike and I both loose each other in the rocks with the sitka on.  We yell briefly.  Sounded like he was spotting the goat.  I ran a mile uphill to the pass to get on the shoulder of the mountain to cut him off if he went that far.  We watched till nightfall and he stood like a statue.  Mike showed me pictures of blood.  It all looked good.  I told him I thought I should get a rifle.  I wasn't looking to wound a goat back there.  He assured me of a good hit.  I dreamed of a goat laying in the rocks the next morning.

I was up before the sun as usual.  As soon as it was light enough to see he was there.  On the cliff, 100ft up looking miserable and not moving much.  It looked like he was having trouble bedding.  What a long day.  Maybe the longest of my life.  I felt terrible.  I was watching my "Once in a Lifetime" become a disaster. I felt shame.  This wasn't what I intended. I watched him disappear into a nook.  At dusk he came back out and stood like a statue not giving up.  Mike headed for the rifle at the camp at the creek.

I know this is a trad site so I'll spare the details.  I got him the next morning.  THANK GOD.  I'll maybe never have the chance again, but I learned a lot.  The emotional and physical strain still weigh on me.  I wish it could have been clean.  I tried my best.  Thanks for all the words of encouragement.  Here are some pics.

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
From what I've read goats are notoriously tough.  Congrats on getting him and good job finishing what you started!  
What did you end up hitting with your shot.  The picture of him on the ledge looks like good placement.  Maybe not enough penetration and just one lung low or liver?  Hard to tell from the picture.  Just curious and not being judgmental.  If you hunt long enough with the bow you will have the occasional 'rodeo'.  Rick.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Congrats on an incredible hunt!
Thanks for sharing with us.
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Congrats
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
I nocked a few ribs and like you said Rick, probably just liver.  It was kind of a mess when I got to skinning and quartering and was happy just to have my hands on him.  The buck I shot was a complete pass through?  I'll never know.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
You hung in and did what you had to do. No shame in that! Congrats on an accomplishment that many of us dream of. You did the ethical thing, the right thing.    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
Sometimes life just won't go in a straight line for us... and hunting can sometimes be a tough and messy business.  I commend you on the spirit and the resolution you showed in finishing the job.  It is clear from your story that you care a lot about the ethics involved in your hunting.  Thanks for sharing and good work.
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by wapiti792:
You hung in and did what you had to do. No shame in that! Congrats on an accomplishment that many of us dream of. You did the ethical thing, the right thing.     :campfire:  
I couldn't say it any better. If we bowhunt long enough stuff is going to happen.  You were responsible for that goat and accepted it to finish what you started.  Congratulations!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
There is no reason to feel ashamed at all. That's a difficult hunt to do and you did everything right, in my opinion. Congratulations on a fine kill and an excellent hunting opportunity. Hunting ethics always trump the Trad police in my opinion. It looked like a good hit, but I know next to nothing about goats, only from what I have read. Was it the situation where the belly hair is long and created the deception of the vitals being lower than they are? Either way, congrats again and feel no shame!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:

Originally posted by wapiti792:
You hung in and did what you had to do. No shame in that! Congrats on an accomplishment that many of us dream of. You did the ethical thing, the right thing.      :campfire:  
I couldn't say it any better. If we bowhunt long enough stuff is going to happen.  You were responsible for that goat and accepted it to finish what you started.  Congratulations!! [/b]
Couldn't agree more... Congrats man!!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Congrats on a fine hunt, first of all. Secondly, thanks for taking us along. It looks and sounds like a hunt of a lifetime. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©