3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magnus or Zwickey?  (Read 986 times)

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
Magnus or Zwickey?
« on: June 17, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
Looking for a screw-in 125 grain, two blade head.
Zwickey, or Magnus and why? Zwickey is running a few dollars less.  Magnus is a tad wider.

Thanks
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Magnus or Zwickey?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
I've got some Magnus. They are not the real wide ones,but they don't look like great quality. I had also heard that they are not the quality that they once were. I'm not saying they are horrible,but I would give the Zwickey a try next time. I don't even know if you could get an adapter and magnus head that weighed 125. You could give the Eskilite at 110 and a 25 grain adapter a try for something close.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Both heads (Zwickey Eskalites and Magnus 2s in 5/16) are about 110-115 grains so they'll be 135-145 grains with a 25-30 grain aluminum adaptor.  Both are good heads.  Magnus are a little easier to sharpen IMO.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Go with Zwickey.
They did it 1st.
Magnus basically copied them.
both are good head though.

...plus using Zwickey is just cool.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Both heads (Zwickey Eskalites and Magnus 2s in 5/16) are about 110-115 grains so they'll be 135-145 grains with a 25-30 grain aluminum adaptor.  Both are good heads.  Magnus are a little easier to sharpen IMO.
I think the Magnus heads are easier to sharpen as well but the steel on Zwickey's might just be harder causing this.
The MAII's are huge

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Don't know if there's a difference in steel hardness.  I find it easier to sharpen Magnus because the edge is straight rather than curved, but can get either very sharp. I've used both.

rr:  Actually the II is the smaller head, the I is the big one.

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
I use both....both sharpen easily, get deadly sharp and hold the edge. Zwick's are a tad cheaper to buy, but you can't go wrong with either one.
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
Have used both but Zwickey is a tougher head and slightly harder steel. Have used them for about 40 years and will continue to do so. Had a few Magnus tips curl on shoulder bones on deer and other than hitting rocks after pass throughs have had no failures on the part of Zwickey-either Eskimos or Deltas.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Looking at Eski-lites.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
Wheels2,
I asked the same question a couple days ago. My post is a page or two back if you want to check those replies. Just bear in mind that some of the responses I got were glue-ons only.  When you add an aluminum adapter you're going to gain 40 grains or so if its the long ones.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
They are both great heads.  Use whichever you want, get it sharp and post pix of the critters you kill.
ChuckC

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Zwickey...because they are a great head, but mostly because Jack is one of the best guys around.
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Like there advertisement says "There are Zwickeys  in more trees in the US then any other head!" here is one of mine.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
And here is one that didn't go in a tree. Pass through on a doe,double lung,13 yds on the ground and powered by a 40# Leon Stewart Slammer.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
In case you couldn't tell,my vote is for the Zwickeys. Green is my favorite color........

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
Go with Zwickey!

They just scream Trad!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
Both Zwickey and Magnus are great broadheads.  Zwickeys are priced less than Magnus.  Magnus have a lifetime warranty.  Magnus have a better factory grind.  It seems to me that the Magnus is easier to sharpen.  Heck, try 'em both and go with the one YOU like the best.    :thumbsup:   Hey Monkeyball, does that Eskimo (the one you used on the doe) have the bleeders ground off or are they still there?  I can't tell from the picture.   :confused:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
I've found the Zwickeys to be stronger as well.I've had tips curl on Magnus.

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 02:24:00 AM »
I prefer the eclipse, but they are all pretty good heads. The quality of the magnus classic was a bit suspect last time I bought some. Maybe Thunder valley has improved since then?? The old magnus II (Narrower one) was excellent.

The eclipse cost a bit more, but they are a step up in quality IMHO.  http://www.braveheartarchery.us/eclipse_broadheads.htm

Darcy    :campfire:
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
SuperK,
             Good eye buddy.  I file them down into a half moon shape so that I can sharpen them to my liking.

Remember guys,wether it is a Zwickey or a Magnus,make sure it is hair picking sharp!

Good Shooting,
                                                  Craig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©