3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magnus or Zwickey?  (Read 985 times)

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Magnus or Zwickey?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Zwickey #1- file and a steel = shaving sharp

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I shoot and like both heads, have kills with both.  If you are strictly looking at two blade heads...my thoughts are to go with the wider head.  I haven't had any problems with strength from either head.  When it comes to four blades i find the Magnus easier to sharpen (their blades come out)

"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
I like them both. The Magnus is just a little bigger, but either one is great as long as they're sharp
Here is a Delta on a bear hunt.

PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
I have a three pack of Eskilites that are open but never used.  I received them in a trade at some point and they are as new.  Have anything to trade?? PM me w your address and I can get them to you.  Package says 135g and they have aluminum adapters already in place from the factory.

Everyone has their feelings about head weight but I do not believe 10g +or- will be noticed by any but the most accomplished target archers.  W hunting weight bows and arrows at hunting distances 10g is just not enough to change things at all.  For the record - this is just my opinion - others may vary.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Bobby,
I just sent you an email....
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
I agree about the +/- 10 grains.  I had a pair of Bear Razor heads on adapters and they shoot the same as the field points at 20 yards.
When I put them on my Easton Aftermaths...
When on 2018, they did OK but when on a 2117, they did dive a bit.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Zwickey heads are cooler.  :D  

Seriously the Zwickey heads fit my style nicely and I especially like the fixed bleeders.  I usually end up epoxying/hot melting in the bleeders on other heads.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Braveheart Archery:
Zwickey heads are cooler.   :D  

Seriously the Zwickey heads fit my style nicely and I especially like the fixed bleeders.  I usually end up epoxying/hot melting in the bleeders on other heads.
X2   :readit:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Think Zwickeys would be a good choice.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »

Online Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I see no real difference between the two other than price.  I don't buy new Magnus because of the price difference when compared to Zwickey.  If I buy new, it's Zwickey only.  But I like both heads equally well.  Many years ago when they were similar in price I favored Magnus over Zwickey.  Just not enough difference between the two to justify spending more money on one over the other for me.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bobby Urban:
So funny how this discussion remains civil here with some back and fourth as to why one makes their choice and on the LW it is a total bash fest and put down contest.  

Most of this has been covered 1000 times but really with all the GREAT options and the "typical" game hunted it comes down to what you can tune well and more importantly brings you the most confidence.  

I know like I know the sun rises in the east that two bladers work great and kill dead - I have done it with them many times but...  Boy do I feel more confident with that nasty 3 blade head on the business end of my arrow come deerthirty and I hear leaves crunching.  Just my thing - find yours, tune well and get them sharp.  All the rest will take care of itself.  

BTW - Lately I shoot 45@25 and get true pass thru shots with arrow in the ground and mostly shoot WW heads.
Well stated Mr. Bobby  :thumbsup:
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWD:

Originally posted by Bobby Urban:
So funny how this discussion remains civil here with some back and fourth as to why one makes their choice and on the LW it is a total bash fest and put down contest.  

Most of this has been covered 1000 times but really with all the GREAT options and the "typical" game hunted it comes down to what you can tune well and more importantly brings you the most confidence.  

I know like I know the sun rises in the east that two bladers work great and kill dead - I have done it with them many times but...  Boy do I feel more confident with that nasty 3 blade head on the business end of my arrow come deerthirty and I hear leaves crunching.  Just my thing - find yours, tune well and get them sharp.  All the rest will take care of itself.  

BTW - Lately I shoot 45@25 and get true pass thru shots with arrow in the ground and mostly shoot WW heads.
Well stated Mr. Bobby     :thumbsup:    [/b]
Here! Here! on the 'other sites' comment.  Also, ever notice how TradGang doesn't allow the trashing of other site or their owners?  Maybe those other sites really aren't about bowhunting.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Zwickey's!
James Kerr

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
I prefer Magnus. I have found them to be much easier to sharpen.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
I think if one is easier to sharpen than the other, it may have something to do with the sharpening technique of that person.  I have always recommended the Eskimo for those without much broadhead sharpening experience, because I have seen them be able to get them shaving sharp with just a file, a diamond hone and an old belt.  Some of the Magnus heads we had from the past had harder metal and took more determination than some newbies were able to put out.  That may no longer be an issue with them.  I have found that it was easier for me to get arrows with Eskimos to fly perfect, for people I set up than the wide Magnus heads that I had an abundance of.  I also found that I could get the  Zwickey Delta to fly slightly better in the wind, but that could just be something with my arrows.  My only personal issue with Zwickys were that I preferred to use slighter stiffer cedar shafts, so I needed 160 grain heads.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
I'm not tickled with the adapters in zwickeys.  I used them early on (prewood days) and found less than half were true.

I havent used them in a LONG time so hopefully thats changed.  

I have however stayed with my eskimos and they've done great for me over the years!  no sense in changing something that works so well.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
A bash fest over magnus vs zwickey on another site???

Thank God for Tradgang......Geezzzz how idiotic folks will act just cause they have a key board.

I prefer Zwickeys..4 blade Ds....grew up and grew as a bow hunter using them....got an old blue that's killed 14 whitetail and one hog.....

But that doesn't mean I'm going to fight with Roger Norris over it.

:rolleyes:            :rolleyes:               :rolleyes:

As far as the adapters I've always mounted my own...no issues.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline locohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
When i first was introduced to trad bows, Zwickeys were the ticket, and i have always thought they were the way to go because they just LOOK like the ones i ought to use; first impressions are hard to change.  i am interested in the 4 blade Magnus Stinger or a Zwickey with bleeders.  I am confident they will each work fine.
60" RER XR
57# 28
52#  AT MY DRAW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©