3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bare shafting woodies.. ran into problem  (Read 355 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare shafting woodies.. ran into problem
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
These arrows were way under spined according to the bare shaft tuning.  My longbow is cut back to center but now past.    

The first time I had ever shot wood arrows was a couple months ago at an archery shoot that I actually managed to win(341/400).  All the arrows I shot were around #65 spined(the guy had written each arrows spine on the arrow).
If those arrows group together with field points and bhs, you are already tuned.  Just copy those arrows.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
I saw this thread and got curious, so I picked two bare 50 pound spine shafts,cut them to 27" bop, 145 point, loaded up two 51 pound Robertsons, my yew and my  Morningstar.  Both tapered cedars flew out of all four bows at 18 yards at my 26" draw, they had a little bit of action when I stretched to 27".  What am I looking for?

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
You can absolutely bare shaft wood arrows. Most of the time they crack because they hit the target at too great of an angle. Be sure to shoot into something soft, like an old pillow or a loosely filled burlap sack. The closer you are to the correct spine the less chance you'll have of breaking an arrow, but shooting into a hard target with an arrow at even a slight angle is a little risky.

Good luck!
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
So then Tom, since my tapered cedars flew pretty much straight, they must be the correct spine and my four bows must be pretty much tuned to them.  I just tried a bare 65-70 with 160 up front out of one of those bows, there was no need to try a second shot

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
49 lb Morningstar 50 55 woods cut to 28.5 draw length 27.5 160 gr upfront fly great.
Arrow_Flynn

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
I can fix your problem with wood arrows Daniel............Oh nevermind, if your are mad about breaking two them, then I am pretty sure you will not like my solution (it involves fire)!    :campfire:  

Bisch

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 04:05:00 AM »
I agree with BAK....start close!  hard targets can also reak havoc.   but once you're on you can move back.  Best I could pull off was 30, they shot well and consistent.   There's bow tuning and shooter tuning, when those meet you'll be pinging bare shafts well!  So to say those were crap shafts?  possible but way down the list of likely's.

You mentioned arrows that flew well were marked...did you by chance change ANYTHING!  diameter, paint, tapered vs un tapered? strings? anything in your shooting?

It sounds like you shoot well enough you should be able to zero in on this pretty fast.

Forgot to add...

early on when I started building arrows for others...I found (along with bowyers and scales being off), not all spine testors were created equal.  It reaked havoc for awhile with a couple of guys. I ended up buying my own spine tester and testing everything myself, both what they brought in, and what I was sending out.  There's just no way to get consistent without it, OR you buy arrows from one person and no one else!  So what was thought to be X spine turned out to be something else!  just something to ponder.   It should not be this way...but I can garuntee you it is!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©