3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Picking a spot  (Read 465 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Picking a spot
« on: September 23, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
I have not taken a deer with traditional gear yet but am hopeful to this year. I try to pick the smallest spot I can on anything I want to shoot at, but seems that if I concentrate on it for 30 seconds or so my eyes start bugging out. Then I will blink and refocus on a spot. Does this happen to any of you? I dont know if Im concetrating to long (before I let the arrow fly) or why this happens.  :banghead:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picking a spot
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
I don't think you need to concentrating on it for 30 seconds, just atill you commit to the shot,...meaning yeah, you should be 'looking' at where you want to hit, but don't start concentrating till the string starts coming back.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
If you can hold steady the poundage you are shooting for 30 seconds I would go up in bow weight.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
I agree with Terry.  The ability to concentrate on a spot you want to hit on a live animal can be difficult at first.  The tendency is to shoot at the whole deer instead of just a spot on the deer.  Over time though, it becomes easier.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
For me, I'll "pick my spot/hair/shadow/etc...", just before I start to draw...draw...and it's gone....still concentrating on the spot till the arrow hits...I believe that's the key to killing critters.  The ability to focus thru the shot and not "peek"....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Terry, Is it easy to find a spot that quickly? I just dont want to rush the shot and shoot at the whole animal instead of a spot.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
I must be blind because I always hear of people PICKING A HAIR to hit then find out that they took a twenty yard shot.

Heck at 10 yards I have to shoot at a PATCH OF HAIR.

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Im no expert but you can do a little excersize all year that will help you in picking a spot. Whenever you look at something, let's say a picture on your wall, you'll notice the main subject. Maybe it's a house. Practice looking 'into' the house. Focus on a window that's on the house. If it's a big window, focus on the point where the window panes meet or even an object inside the house. After a while, you'll find yourself picking many objects apart. Always focus on something within the object itself. You'll find yourself being able to concentrate on a smaller spot, therefore zeroing in on that spot. At longer distances, it's harder to hold focus on a spot as long, but practice helps alot.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
When a animal gets into my shooting zone (<20 yds) I have already made up my mind weather or not I'm going to shoot.  No more looking at horns or wondering about taxidermy costs or how good the meat is going to taste.  I am locked onto that little crease behind the shoulder.  Drawing aiming and releasing all just seems to happen.  Good luck and have FUN.  That is the reason we do this.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
Bodork's exercise sounds excellent to me. Trad shooting doesn't just happen around hunting season. It is a year long, year after year, thing.  What Kctreeman says is also correct. A true trad shooter shouldn't have to worry about the shot, except where it is going. Everything else is subconsciously mechanical.
   If you will study a deers anatomy, you will see where the arrow should go. Shoot for the off side foreleg.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
I try to think of pointing at the spot with my index finger knuckle (sometimes I do it with my index finger itself) it helps me concentrate. Concentration or focus(along with lots of practice) is the key to instinctive shooting, but you shouldn't have to concentrate on a spot for 30 seconds. I pick a spot, focus on it, draw, focus a little harder, and then release all in a couple of seconds. Along with Bodorks suggestion maybe you could try shooting at moving targets.Moving targets (imo) help you to concentrate and don't give you time to second guess yourself.

Also, I have found that the old adage "aim small miss small" is right on the money. Now, if I could just remember that on every shot. I don't know if you have watched the DVD "Masters Of The Barebow" , but Dean Torges said something in the bonus section at the end with all the bloopers and such. He said iirc " lets see how close I can get to that spot without  hitting it" that was really profound if you think about it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 02:27:00 AM »
The real skill to picking a spot is in recognizing when and how your shot will come.  If you don't see the shot coming, you're playing catch up to find your spot, focus, get the bow up, and get the shot off.  You're a lot less likely to pick a spot if you're trying to find one when you should be shooting.

When you see an animal, look at where it's going, not where it is.  Prepare for the shot that's coming.  You should know where your spot is before you start focusing on it. It takes a split second to shift your vision from the animal to the spot and just a second or two more of concentration until your arrow is through the other side.  That's all you need to make the shot.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I practice picking spots on a year round basis.
Driving down the road and see a sign- pick a number or letter and focus on that particular item.  If the number or letter has a "hole" in it- even better.  Following a car- try to focus on the little tag on the plate.  Just do it for a few seconds and it will be a habit.  On game animals, I only concentrate just prior to the shot and through the shot.
Good luck
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Just the fact that when the deer gets into range your thinking and looking for that spot will carry you through. if you see the deer and are thinking about "not missing" or anything else you'll more than likely shoot at the whole kill area or animal and probably miss.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
Just pull it back and let it go! You'll miss your first one over the back anyway. :) I sure had my share of "the top of the back zone".

Shooting at 3D targets helps out alot. If you can pick your spot on a target, you'll be able to do the same thing on a live animal as long as you can control the "buck fever". :)

I read a book once where the author recommended imagining a one inch button over the spot where you wanted your arrow to hit. Seems to me that he even toted the button around in his pocket, took it out and looked at it often. Give it a try. What have ya got to lose?
N/A

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
i try and look through the deer where i want to hit it just take your time and it will fall in to place  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
30 seconds is a long time too concentrate.  Try 3...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
I use to have a problem picking a spot. I could get my arrow into the vitals but not always in the best place mostly due to the angle of the game. What helped me most was looking at where the arrow should exit. Once I started doing this my placement of the arrow improved.

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Im a pretty fast shooter. And i am deadly at my target with painted on blue dot. Now my 3d target is different. i cant pick a spot as well.

Last month while antelope hunting i missed a doe.
I competely fell apart. I tried to sight down the arrow, drew to the wrong point, had my bow in a death grip, and so on. I couldnt understand it. I did everything wrong.

The next antelope that headed my way (which was 150 yrds) I was already going through my list. Hand Grip Loose, thumb down --- check.
Split finger, --- Check
Chest toward target --- Check
Plenty of room to draw --- check
Only problem was the antelope only got to about 60 yrds.
"I make dirt look good"

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
There is a  downside to picking a spot  and that is you can be so anxious to see that you hit the deer you alter your shot. Kind of like lifting the head in golf.
I look where I want to hit use solid mechanics and the arrow is off. You can really screw up the fundamentals if you try to get a peek.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©