3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: eye glasses hunting and transition lenses  (Read 665 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
eye glasses hunting and transition lenses
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I got my first set of glasses about 10 years ago for mild correction. Hardly ever used them. 5 years ago I got progressive for better distance and reading. I was border line for about everything.  I only used them for when I had to do a lot of reading close and reading at distance like projected stuff on the wall like PowerPoint stuff.  Up to last year I used them as needed. As needed is now most all the time unless I am just working outside or diving. Passed my driver eye exam last time around, but maybe not next time. I need new glasses.  This glasses stuff is still mind of new to me

I hunted some last year with glasses. Didn't care for the way the ground looks from a tree. Also found vision sharpness not so great in the inside and outside of the lenses.  Liked seeing detail better long distance to pick stuff out of the cover.

So I talked out all my issues and needs for work, archery, pistol shooting and so on.  The new digital progressive lenses are recommended. I would like input from anyone using them as to how they work. $$$$ so don't want to mess up.

Also looking at transition type lenses. I found out they don't work for driving well because the UV gets blocked by auto glass so they don't get darker. My eyes are quite light sensitive.  Looking at transition signature, xtractive and vantage. I think I would like the xtractive for about everything but I am concerned about them being too dark for low light hunting, climbing on the fall, walking on the dark, tracking and so on. So I wonder if I would be better with the vantage or signature. Then order single vision sunglasses online cheaper after I get my everyday ones.

Really not sure at all what to do.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: eye glasses hunting and transition lenses
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
I wear lined trificals.i was rifleshooting and noticed I had two images  Took off the glasses and fixed it.  Pistol was funnier, top lens at target, middle front site, bottom for rear.  Bobbed my head, and finally just used safety glasses, no corrective lens, and did well.  So i took off mt glasses for longbow.  We usually only shoot 30-40 yards, so total focus on the spot, if even fuzzy, works.  Never fooled with of the fancy stuff on lens, so not much help.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:05:00 AM »
I've worn eyeglasses since the 4th grade, so they are an essential piece of equipment for me.  Also had to go to bifocals about eight years ago (no line) I have the transition point lower than "standard" as I tend to cock my head upward when I drive, which puts my line of sight into the "reading" zone.  My standard glasses have Transition lenses, which are great for all but the sunniest hunting days.  I've never had an issue with low light hunts.

I own a pair of single vision sunglasses that stay in the car and are mainly used for driving.  You are correct that Transition lenses will not darken inside your vehicle.  Not having bifocals means that I can't text or check e-mails when I drive....a good thing.

I also own a pair of bifocal, polarized sunglasses for flyfishing.  Even with the bifocals, I have a hard time tying on size 20 or smaller flies.
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
I use bifolcals.They do have transition lenses.
These are glasses designed for sport use like baseball basketball etc.Thier called F8s.Thier strong but not heavy and have an adjustable strap for a good fit

They have a relatively large len.Which is what I wanted in a bifocal.Thy are wraparound style.Peripheral vision is good with them.With these lenses the bifocal reading lense is really out of the way in a low position.My distance view is not comprimised.

These are pretty good looking glasses as well.Thier a flat black and grey and dont stand out in the woods etc.

I like these and thier very versatile for sports,hunting,fishing or just chilling at the pool.

I shoot well with them and dont feel any hindrance.I see well in low light or bright light with them.

Thier comfortable with rubber nose pieces and rubber ear pieces.Thier tough and can take abuse no doubt.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »
Todd,
Our eyes sound identical. Pm me your phone and best day(s)/times to call you, and I'll share what I know....
CoilSpring

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:03:00 AM »
I have digital progressive lenses and conventional progressive lenses in the exact same frame with transitions.  I got the digital on the recommendation from a friend. He said it was like going from regular TV to high def TV.  
I can not tell a difference.  
I do wear the digital daily and have the others in my truck as a back up. I'll pull them out tomorrow and see if anything has changed since the last time I compared them.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
I wear digital trifocals with transitional lenses daily. For sports I wear contact lenses and that gets rid of the ground surface looking weird, or appearing too close.

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
I have found that bifocals of any type will compromise shooting and hunting/hiking type activity. The range of eye movement you need will be constantly getting into the bifocal area. I just have to switch glasses or look over top to read a map, compass etc which is better than tripping over things or having half or more of the target fuzzy.

I would also consider transition type lenses a handicap for both. They do not work well when moving around in a wooded environment. Often will be too dark to see well into the shadows.

When I get new glasses I order the bifocals for everyday use, another pair of glasses with distance vision only lenses for outdoor activity and polarized sunglasses.
Rom 1:20

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
I've worn glasses for years. One thing I can guarantee is with progressive lenses in the field you will be picking yourself up off the ground.  They  throw off depth perception. Can't begin to tell ya how many times I've fallen not seeing the dip in the ground

I switched to contacts and use reading glasses for the close up stuff.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
I wear contacts and love them. I wear reading glasses for really fine print. I never could shoot with glasses very well.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
I, too, wear contacts for distance and put on a pair of reading glasses for any reading I need/want to do.  I hunted for years with glasses, but found when it got cold enough that I had to wear a heavy face mask the lenses would fog over.  Can't hit the target, if you can't see it!  :(   So, I switched to contacts.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
Great info. I have been thinking about the contact but need to see if that will work after my exam.

I have a little astigmatism in my left eye that likes the mid range you get with the progressive. My right eye,  shooting eye, is better without the glasses to see computer and a pistol sight.  I do computers and close up reading many days all day but also some stuff for work outside where I need safety glasses and sun glasses.  I figure some kind of progressive to cover all that.

Some of the new progressives are a lot faster in change. Maybe they will work better hunting with light changes.

I didn't know you could have contacts on the use reading glasses.  That is a whole different set of options.

I know I had fits trying to shoot with glasses last summer and fall.  Took off almost 6 months from shooting.  That sorry of dulled my muscle memory and I have found now it is not so hard to adjust. I might just be able to shoot with glasses okay.

I can read almost as good without glasses close up right now but eye strain if I over due.  My reading perception is low but going to go up. Right now I don't have issues walking with glasses. But don't like the ground feel from 20'.

I was hoping to not have to have 3 pairs of glasses, but that might not be possible.  Maybe I can do the dark progressive and low cost Internet clear single vision to cover most everything.

Keep the info coming.  It is all helpful particularly if you have the newer type lenses and progressive technology.

Thanks I knew I could get some good info here.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I wear digital trifocals with transitional lenses daily. For sports I wear contact lenses and that gets rid of the ground surface looking weird, or appearing too close.
are those single vision contacts?

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
I wear a phakic lens on my right eye, as its lens is going walkabout, and I wear heavily tinted lenses all the time for severe photophobia.  I'm switching to prescription Oakleys so I can get peripheral vision and close fit to keep the sun from getting around them.  I can handle low light hunting just fine even with the dark lenses.  If you are getting light sensitive, you need to talk to your doctor, as it can be a sign of more serious problems.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
Interesting thread for sure!

I too just started wearing progressive lenses not too long ago. Great for work....not so much for shooting. The "lens" part is right down the middle of each lens and looking to the "side" at all doesn't work. They don't work at all for me with shooting.

Went to eye Dr. and she gave me contacts. Two problems for me:

1. Could not get used to sticking them in my eye.

2. Shooting vision was "worse" with these than with nothing.

Still at square one for shooting so would love to hear what you come up with.

Please keep in mind that each of us in unique and YMMV.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
My vision went south around age 40. I wore drug store readers for close up for years but as time went on it became impossible to change focus between close and far. So now I wear progressive bifocals and they work great. It took about a month for my brain to adjust and stairs almost killed me a few times but I stuck it out and it paid off. I'd say the most important thing to learn and remember is that you have to move your head and look directly at things. You can't shift your eyes up,down, or sideways much at all. That can be an issue with form.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
Bifocals daily - with anti glare and transition tinting.

single vision glasses - with anti glare for hunting - no bifocal, no tinting.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
Lined bifocals with very low lines for everyday and hunting. They have Transistion lenses that are only too dark toward evening in snow covered woods. I love them.

I wear progressive bifocals with the same frame for office/computer work. They do not have Transistions since I rarely wear them outside.

If I wear progressives in the woods I get very nausious and trip over everything. Forget about shooting a bow, it ain't happening.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Sounds like we all have about the issues. I've worn glasses since the 5th grade, some 57 years now. Bifocals too since 2002. I had the lined bifocals placed as low to the bottom of the lens as possible. Have some problems going down stairs but none in the woods. Even pack a 2nd pair in case of emergencies (read that carelessness. Don't like transitions.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
I have the progressive transition lens. At first depth perception was off but I don't notice it at all now. I also could not shoot with them at first. Always shot high and left but now my shooting is good with them. I think after getting used to the lens you automatically learn not to look thru the sides but to face the target. I like them (as much as you can like glasses)but it took a little while
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©