3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what degree?  (Read 150 times)

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
what degree?
« on: June 20, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I got a kme sharper for Christmas and pulled it out this morning to give it a try on some grizzly single bevel broadheads......it didn't go well.I have always did ok with crock sticks and I dont know what I'm doing wrong with the kme.I was using the 25 degree angle.Is that the wrong angle ?I just couldn't get them shaving sharp.

Thanks for any help
Al

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what degree?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
I would run a marker right on the cutting edge,and then adjust the sharpener to where it takes the marker off. Then use your different stones to get it sharp,and be sure to take the burr off the back also.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
X2
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Good advice above. Feel free to give me a call 937-444-0904. There is no need to hone the entire width of the bevel. I sharpen mine at 30 degrees.Regardless of the angle you choose. If you can not get them sharp you are likely using too much pressure. You also do not want to go to finer stones until your broadhead will shave you just from using the course stone. To much pressure and moving to the finer stones too quickly are the 2 most common mistakes.
I'll be happy to talk you through it. Its really quite easy.
Bill

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
Rockkiller: call Ron at KME, he takes the time to walk you though a head. You wont regret it!
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
call Ron x2

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
Whatever angle you use, you need to feel a burr on the opposite side.  The burr will indicate that you are rolling the edge over. Now you can switch to the opposite side to move the burr.  Once you have produced a burr all the way down the edge, you can go to a finer stone.  I agree with Bill in that you just want to sharpen the edge.  I use a 30 degree angle to just hit the edge.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
Best advice, call Ron! Customer service far beyond the normal. He WANTS you to be satisfied with your own work.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Rockkiller,

The higher the number the steeper the angle,and usually the steeper the angle the quicker you get the two sides to meet. When two sides meet you have a very sharp edge with a slight roll over on one side,remove that as stated above and you are on your way to a very sharp edge.

I like the 30 degree setting also,sharp but sturdy.

Good Shooting,
                                                         Craig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©