3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Profin Getting thick  (Read 242 times)

Offline stumpinkaiser

• Trad Bowhunter
Profin Getting thick
« on: June 20, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
I havn't used the profin for about 4 weeks and the product in the can as well as in the dip tube have got a dry layer on top, and underneath the remaining product has become quite thick.

Is there any way to thin it down? Do I have to stir it once and a while to prevent this in the future?

Thanks for the help.
Shooting anything other than wood arrows out of a traditional bow is....strange."

-Robin Hood

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Profin Getting thick
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
I've found its best to not store it in the dip tubes. Find an empty paint can to store the contaminated finish. I would not pour it back into the unused finish.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
I missed the part about it thickening in the can. If that's the case then you haven't sealed the lid. I've got Daly's that is a couple of years old that is still watery in the original can.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
I had the same problem, you might be able to thin it back out with paint thinner if it isn't too far gone. I talked to them at daly's about it and they told me the best way to store it is to return to the can after you use it and to take a can of air( like you would use to clean your key board on your computer) and turn it upside down and spray it into the can to forse out any air in the can and close the cover tight. Leaving it in the dip tube will cause it to gel as the tube isn't air tight.
      I have done this since I had a whole gallon go bad on me and never had a problem since.

Rick

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Sounds like there might be a loose nut behind the steering wheel to me...you got a tic-tac-toe-playin' banty rooster over there???
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Don?

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
I like that pro fin Aromkr turned me on to that stuff when I bought shafts from him some yrs ago.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
stumpinkaiser,

When I got my last can of ProFin, it was really thick on the bottom.  That happens when it sits for a while (confirmed with the nice folks at Daly's).  Just stir it up real good and it'll mix back in.  You'll want to do that every time you haven't used it in a while.

Don't store it in a dip tube.  Pour it back in the original can, then pour a little thinner into your dip tube, shake it up, pour it out and let it dry.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 04:01:00 AM »
you also want to mix it up in between dip sessions or during if you're dipping a bunch!   I found that out the hard way lol.

As for thinning, I havent had the issue.     I know you can dilute it but so far I havent had too.  You could talk to Bob, he's pretty willing to pass on info about it and what he's done.

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
Are you still using your original lid?
I replaced all my dip tube lids with canning jar lids. I don't have a problem storing various liquids in them any more. I think the rubber seal on them are much better than the paper on the original lid.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©