3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mastigouche Maddness: a bear hunt with Russell Outdoor Guides  (Read 956 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I am home from a long ride in the truck and pure madness in Quebec. After a year of planning and anticipation I got to finally hunt with Jerry Russell, owner and guide, and a few Tradgangers.

I am the first home so be patient...I will humor you with some details until they return but let me tell you, there are some fireworks coming  :)  When I pulled out there was already one bear down and the rut was beyond cranked.

Jerry runs a great bear camp in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. If you weren't there for bears you'd think you had booked a river fishing camp or a lake trout adventure. It is a stunning place!

*Waterfall

Aside from the beauty of the place, the bear hunting is awesome. Whoever thinks there are not big mature bears in Quebec is crazy! Of the 20 or so baits I saw cams on or saw myself personally, half had mature boars that showed up to visit the sows. That is exactly what I wanted, and that is exactly what Jerry set me up with.

I had two rookie bear hunters with me, one hunting with wheels (who is now converted and will remain anonymous for this tale) and another who took to the longbow this year. My sole purpose for them coming was to share a camp with first-timers and to get their mind blown. Mission accomplished.

Mike Davenport

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mastigouche Maddness: a bear hunt with Russell Outdoor Guides
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
:campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
I had a special bow on this trip, picked up from a new good friend here on TG. I have a thing for Greenstripes. This one has a special place as it was signed the year I started bowhunting. It made the trip with one purpose in mind: mature boar or nothing! Jerry said he could deliver and he did!

The Mastigouche game reserve is 2500 square miles of wilderness, lakes and rivers. Jerry has a BUNCH of baits and 16 tags at camp 1. You really only scratch the surface on his sets and still the furthest baits are an hour away. The roads are bumpy but good and his sets are A plus, shots 12 yards or closer, and because of the many sets, the baits don't get worn out. Here is the land mass that is called Mastigouche:

*You can get lost here

Upon arrival we settled into camp and unloaded our gear. Our first day was a wash...literally. Rain coming in sheets, we settled into camp life with a cocktail and a snack. Some of us kept there little piggies warm, others enjoyed a book...

*Foot warmer

*First edition I been holding on to

The second day we got lined up with our equipment, our digs and a little bit  of heaven. La douche, how I love thee. A hot shower in camp is just the best thing ever.

*Unlimited water supply

*Home sweet home!!!
Mike Davenport

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I have the feeling that this is going to be good.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
The first night on stand you could feel the tension on the ride to the baits. My guys and me would be taking the farthest sets. My set was an old bait that had been re established recently and had not been hunted in six years. There were bears showing up routinely there, and I was beyond excited. It had only been a year since I was in bear camp, but I had forgotten the butterflies! My stomach flipped and flopped as I climbed in, buckled up and gave Jerry the thumbs up.

A light rain started and I eased my rain jacket on. Part of me cringed watching that beautiful bow take the rain. I am sure Papa Bear would have stuck it out...so did I. It wasn't long before my first visitor. I reached for my bow and realized it wasn't exactly the bear I wanted. I got to enjoy the little boar cautiously approach the bait and keep an an out for other bears. That is a good sign!

*Giant someday

My night was just awesome! Aside from the rain, there was a constant butterfly response to each bear. It was a sustained boil of bears. None would come to the bait, as it seemed my wind and larger bears were on the brain of the smaller bears. At one point I had visuals on 4 different bears at the same time. I had bow shots at 2 of them but weren't what I wanted.

Finally just before dark I saw what I came to the 'Gouche for: behind me a nice sow stepped out from the bush at 25 yards. Behind her was a nice boar glunking his way with her step for step. Out of range for me I watched them slip away, but I was happy! In the dark waiting for Jerry there was a plethora of bear sounds: growls, spits, woofs...they were all around me! Unnerving but wonderful, the sounds of bears in the dark. Right before I could hear the truck coming I hear a metallic thud as the barrel gets slammed under me. Bear camp just got real...
Mike Davenport

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Mike, it was great meeting you and your buds. That was one of the best weeks I have ever spent in the woods.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Stan please chime in with your story as well! I regret only getting a couple of nights with you. We are going to make up for that...can you say Namibia  :)  

Where was I? Oh, the ride home. It was Father's Day...to a man in the truck they reflected on their fathers, with all of them except me losing fathers in this world. Me, mine is lost as well...but not to the grave. I admired them for their words and the men their fathers raised. It was humbling to hear grown men speak of their dads, knowing each would enjoy the hunt we had all had. I was the last to be picked up, and the ride back is what bear camp is all about. Sharing stories, bearing hearts, being men. That ride in the truck...

When back to base it was an all out feast, stories going, cocktails flowing. Before we knew it, it was time for bed. In one day my checklist was completed: friends minds blown, check. Mature boar spotted, check. Bear camp atmosphere soaked in, check.
Mike Davenport

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
I'm tuned in!

Can't wait for the rest!

Bisch

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Great stuff.  I have been anxiously awaiting some tales from Jerry's bear camp.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Tuned in

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
This is going to be good!  I always enjoy reading your hunting adventures!  Nice pictures too!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
Love your stories, tuned in!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
This is gonna be good!  Love it so far..

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
:archer:  

PS:"mine is lost as well...but not to the grave."...  I think I understand...keep on being an example.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
Been waiting for this one!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Back to our story...

The next day we awoke to a clear sky and warmer temperatures. Coming from 90 degree heat to a brisk morning temp of 46 was refreshing! Aside from one of my campmates snoring like a chainsaw I managed a little shuteye. I work as a healthcare professional...that dude got a script for a sleep study after we hit the states  :)

*A clear day for a hunt

After drying out some gear, shooting and getting another nap, it was almost time to get after it. One of the great things about bear camp is it is a gentlemanly sport: you stay up late having a cocktail and telling stories, you sleep late, eat well and THEN go to hunt. For a guy used to getting up early and hitting it hard, it takes some getting used to. I did it though    :saywhat:  

*My buddy getting practice in

I again would be way out, this time at a bait where another hunter the previous week had killed a nice sow. A big boar rolled in soon thereafter, so we knew there was one there.  I climbed in, buckled up and once again gave Jerry the thumbs up after getting my bow nocked up and video camera set.

The first visitor got my heartrate going immediately! The first bear showed herself an hour into my sit. It came in cautiously, more for other bears in the vicinity than for me, which is good. If THIS bear was nervous about other bears then this bait was pretty ok by me.

I took a few photos and video and enjoyed watching this bear. I never took the bow off the hook as this was a rolly polly sow...maybe a big boar would follow her in...she spent a good 10 minutes there. A couple of times the wind shifted and she got a nose full. This got her nervous and she would go away a spell but return once the wind righted itself.

*Big bottom girl

After awhile she wandered off and I was left to my own devices for a couple of hours. I got to soak in bear camp memories already made this trip and ones from the past in a dapple of sunlight that was just enough to be comfortable. It was almost too nice and I caught myself heavy lidded  :)  I started thinking about my current set and realized, at least in my opinion, this was a perfect place to kill a bear: a pond to the left representing an obstacle that critters had to go around to get there with the stand at the apex. It had cover all around with a deep gorge some 200 yards away that stayed wet year round, a cool place for the bears to hole up during hot weather. Jerry had done his homework with this one. As I stood to stretch my legs to ward off the sleepiness I see a bear approaching upwind and immediately recognize it as a mature boar...
Mike Davenport

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Mike

You are great story teller!!!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
:coffee:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©