3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mastigouche Maddness: a bear hunt with Russell Outdoor Guides  (Read 959 times)

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mastigouche Maddness: a bear hunt with Russell Outdoor Guides
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
:campfire:
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Keep it coming mike can't WAIT FOR THE REST!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
luv it    :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
I was busy at the dealership this afternoon and couldnt wait to check this thread.  Guess somebody fell asleep from the long drive:)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
My apologies gents...seems 8 days away was tough on the fam. Kids needed a double feature movie, a pound of popcorn, and some Pop time.

I will finish up as I just got word the other guys have rolled out. Their stories are more interesting than mine  ;)  

So as I stood there was a boar on the trail behind me. If I have my wits he is a dead bear. But the moment was lost as he had company...the lady friend he was trailing was taking him around the pond. So I wait...but not for long.

She took him around right into the bait. Throwing caution to the wind...really. My wind was drilling them right in their faces. The fat sow didn't care. The boar, let's just say he had me from the start. Either his stomach or somehwere south of there brought him to me. On alert. Full alert.

*Blackie

Cautiously he came as I readied for a shot. He came but was cautious as all get out. He finally gave me what I wanted, perfect broadside under 15 yards, but spooked as I drew.

More coming...
Mike Davenport

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
You got me on the edge of my seat, Mike!

Bisch

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Sorry Bisch...I got lots of 'spainin to do to the Mrs. Seems I kinda booked a trip to Namibia while on this hunt. I bought her a case of her favorite wine and cooked her dinner. Let's hope it's enough     :saywhat:  

So the boar is cautious. He is black as the Ace of Spades, and big enough for me. I drew once and he whirled. I should have held my draw and dropped the string but I double clutched. When he stopped again I redrew. Unfortunately the rain from the day before created a natural draw check click with my bow. I had never heard it before until then. The boar stopped with his leg back when I reached full draw, and I could not, not shoot. Self control lost on a bear I wanted so bad. I dropped the string and therefore broke the cardinal rule of hunting any animal with a large bone structure: I hugged too close.

I hope the video loads as it tells the story. I shot 2 inches lower than I intended, but thought I got heart. Here it is if you will humor me:

I replayed the video on the screen of my camera even as another bear hit the bait. I knew it was close but had my fears it was too low. I let the night slip away and asked the Man upstairs for help should it be his will. I knew I had made a marginal shot, and I knew sleep would not come tonight. The ride home for me hurt. I have not lost many animals. I know it happens, but I hoped it was not today. Not this animal.

After viewing the camera footage with Jerry he too thought I was low, but close. We hatched a plan for an early look in the am with his tracking dog "Bear", 57 pounds of energy and will. I went to my cabin with my guys and tried to let the nightcap wash away the pain. It didn't help much.
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
The am came slow but as I was getting my clothes on someone burst into our cabin to say Jerry was very sick. They weren't sure possibly a kidney stone. With me being medical I grabbed my kit and headed the 1/4 mile to the base camp. I had very little in my kit as border crossings spook me. Had it been Colorado or anywhere in the US and I could have taken out your appendix or treated your open fracture. Here it was a suture kit, some Tylenol and some injectable Dexamethasone. Basically, I was useless. I did give him a shot that he never felt...as the pain of renal colic is nothing short of blinding. Evan, another hunter and a friend of Jerry's, made our way quickly to the Mastagouche Headquarters. Evans French is far better than mine and we found that the nearest hospital was Louisville. Another hunter, John, agreed to transport Jerry there while we kept things going. It was a team effort. Everyone did a part and we kept up with things as best we could. One thing of note: Jerry is a tough SOB. Retired firefighter. Rescue swimmer. Bear guide. They don't come tougher. To see him in agony was miserable for me as I could do none of the things I have been trained to do. Knowing he was getting to a hospital made me breathe a sigh if relief. I had almost forgotten my wounded bear. Almost.

After Jerry's evac, we contacted Claude, Jerry's partner in camp 2. Like a champ he responded to the bell in the 12th round. With Evan's help we tracked my bear. First by sight, good blood in the beginning then as we hit the 100 yard mark I put my hand on Claude and did the best I could with the language barrier. It was heart or nothing my friend. It was nothing. After 150 yards the sparse blood revealed my arrow, broken at 3 inches from the Ace standard. We consulted each other and brought Bear, the childlike beast of a dog to help.

After 500 yards we agreed that my boar was healthy. Wounded yes, but not fatally. At least as sure as we could be. I thanked Mr Claude for his patience and his work and hugged that damn dog like it was my kid. It all rushed in as I walked out quietly. My hunt was over.

*My hero

I called John on my sat phone to check on Jerry and decided I was camp cook now. I'd help all I could. Sure we would love to go into some fantasy ground hog day scenario where we stay at the "Edge of Tomorrow" and right all of our wrongs. I have looked at my video hundreds of times and tried to will the arrow 2 inches higher. It doesn't happen.

We hunt these critters and love them. To try and explain this to a nonhunter or an anti is pointless. I think, as tough as it is, we tell the tale. I have not lost many, but this bear is lost. Perhaps to another hunter, but I believe in my heart, not to my arrow. I did all I could. Bear and Claude and Jerry did everything right. The bow performed, the hunter did not. It is a gut check for me, and will be for some time, but it is truth.

So, after a long few days I am home with family. Jerry made it back, and like the professional he is, sucked it up. He is as good a guide in the business and tougher than woodpecker lips. I shook his hand, thanked him for the opportunity and booked for next year. When I am over this I will be ready, again. However, This is not the end of Mastagouche Madness, only the start. We got hunters to tell their tales. It is awesome! Until then, toast the big black boar, say a small prayer for healing, and let's tip our hats to the wild beasts we love    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
Looked low. Musta grazed him. Tough loss, fun hunt, there's always next year! Looking forward to the rest of the hunts.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 12:08:00 AM »
Great story Mike, and as they say "Some days you get the bear and others the Bears get you".  At least there is some consolations that in your case the Bear will live another day, and be wiser for it.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
What a great story..... Really enjoyed it. And I do believe a black bear hunt with them is now on my bucket list  :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »
I replayed the shot many times.  Sometimes it looks good.  Sometimes low.  Its SO CLOSE!  Sounds like the BH hit the far leg, maybe?  And the clicker noise??  Weird!

You can only do so much.  And you did it all.  You made the bear a lot smarter is all.  Good luck in Namibia.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
Great story Mike , I was on pins and needles wondering how everything turned out for you guys. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I will post mine up on Monday . It was the most fun I have ever had in the 5 or 6 hours I was on stand.  Hopefully will share a Mastgouche with you guys again.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
Mastigouche camp ( dang iPhones )
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I know the kidney stone business!  Started the first of a 9-day elk hunt in 2006 with my first (and only please God) at 4:30AM in a tent in the mountains north of Ft.Collins. CO.  Three days of agony later and emergency surgery and it was gone but not the last of the ordeal. Oh, and $13,000.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Mike - I am so sorry to hear the end result but what an exciting hunt and great narration.  I am curious - did you mean 45lbs instead of 75lbs for Bear the tracking hound?  I have Bears litter mate and twin sister and she is only 37lbs and the breed is large at 50.  I have not spoken with Jerry since the bear season started but last I heard Bear was ahead of here in body weight by 5-10lbs and seemed normal for male/female of the breed.  The reality is there is very little information regarding this breed in the states but I can say they have a nose and a knack for tracking.  

I am looking forward to hearing the tracking stories of Bear the wonder hound as much as anything else from this springs bear hunt as it will not be until fall before Molly gets to test her skills on real game.  

Oh, and it sure would be a bonus to have a Dr. in a remote camp - even if supplies were limited.  

Thanks for posting your story - great read!!

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
Dang Mike! I did the same thing last year at Bear Quset! They told me all week; "Whateve you do, don't shoot low like you would on a whitetail!".

That's exactly what I did! After a 2 mile track, we knew he was out there for another hunter to take!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©