3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Make Take Down From One Piece  (Read 303 times)

Offline Jonathan Spool

• Trad Bowhunter
Make Take Down From One Piece
« on: June 21, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
I have a 1969 69" Kodiak Special that  had one limb broken during shipping.  The riser is gorgeous and I was wondering whether or not it would be feasible to cut the riser and  pick up some limbs for it?  Has anyone done this?
I am a very experienced woodworker with a complete shop, but have no Bowyer experience.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Make Take Down From One Piece
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
I have often thought with the size of those risers there is a lot of material that could be reused when limb problems arise...if nothing else I have seen them made into some breathtaking lamps

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Just had another thought...go to peteward.com and look for his information about WARFing...I have an idea that might be applicable

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
Don't overlook the smaller riser bows too. They can be excellent projects!   :bigsmyl:  

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
I think I would be more surprised if it "couldn't" be done.  I mean, if you have the tools and wherewithal most anything can be accomplished.  I recommend you go for it, take lots of pics and share the build and results.  I am sure the ILF crowd would love to see it as well as the Bear crowd.  Beyond that, there are a lot of decommissioned Bear bows out there.  I am guessing if someone created a frankenbear it would start a whole new trend and possibly a new thread category here.  

If it were me, I would certainly start with consistent and easily obtainable limbs.  Probably an ILF set up would be best but at the very least some from a bowyer that is using CNC machines and is currently in production with a lot of limbs already out in the market.  

I say this for two reasons: 1. the first swing of the bat may find the bow too heavy or light due to riser to limb configuration so having access to bolt on a different set(length, weight, etc..)would be priceless 2. the process would/could be repeatable for others and/or yourself if it turns out to be awesome!!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
I have re-limbed several bows with damaged limbs. Easier than building the same bow from scratch. Post this over in Bowyer's Bench, there are lots of bowyers that can do it for you. Mike Mecredy over at Mad Dog bows comes to mind.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Jonathan Spool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
I'm unsure as to whether I posted this in the correct forum.  As James suggests, perhaps it should be in the Bowyers Bench.  Is there a way to transfer the string over there or should I repost the original post?

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
I think you will have to re-post
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©