3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broad heads  (Read 331 times)

Offline Florida bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
broad heads
« on: June 22, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »
I plan on using 125 grain thunderheads, arrows should be around 450 grains, 50#@26inch draw what do you think, wanted to use a single bevel grizzly but could not find a screw in that weighed 125 grains....what broadhead would you reccomend

Offline Bart S

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: broad heads
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
Single bevel eclipse werewolf should work
64" TD Blacktail Elite, 60# @ 29"
64" Liberty longbow, 63# @ 29"

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
I am going to give the Helix a shot this season, I think. I've read good things.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
FYI - and just a suggestion as the B-head thing gets hammered here and there are SOO many great ones that it come down to which brings you the most confidence but I believe a solid COC head is better than a multi piece product.  Again, just an opinion.  If 3 blades is your pref think about Wensel Woodsmans as they can be pretty light with light adapters and even 20-50 grains is so small it will be undetectable for all but the most proficient target archers(think Olympics) IMO.  

With hunting weight bows and arrow set up at hunting ranges the difference will be microns.  

That said, my set up lately is 45@25 and I shoot AD Trad Lites cut to 27" with WW on the business end.  Some have steel adapters, others aluminum - all shoot to the same spot at hunting ranges and these shafts are super forgiving of bow weights.  I shoot the same set up from 45-65lbs with equal results in arrow flight.  

Again, just another hunters opinion so take it with a grain o' salt but I would be less concerned with the exact grain weight of your broadheads and more concerned with arrow flight. It just is not that important and you will be continually chasing the weight as you sharpen a few grains off your chosen head - and for not good reason.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
What are AD trad lites never heard of that arrow....?

Offline PopeandYoung_51

• Trad Bowhunter
    • hurstbows.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
I just ordered some 125 grain Badgers. I wish I had more weight up front, but this current arrow setup seems to be tuned really well.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
Arrow Dynamics shafts are the bomb! I find the traditionals are a bit too stiff for me with the bows and bow weight I shoot being 55-60 pounds but the traditional lights cut to 29" with 75 grains brass inserts and 200 grain points bareshaft perfect out of all my bows, and every broadhead I have tried on them flies great too. I highly recommend the arrow dynamics shafts. As for broadheads, if you want to keep the 125 grain weight and go with a great cut on contact head look at the 125 grain screw in Woodsman, or the Simmons landsharks in 125 grains.
James Kerr

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
What are you planning on hunting with these heads????????
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
I have killed lots of critters with the 125 grn thunderhead .. they fly great and with replaceable blades they are always razor sharp. Nothing wrong with your set up as is .... just be sure you always have fresh blades, I always carried extras in my day pack. The deer in my avatar was taken with a thunderhead.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
I hunt deer and hog only so I figured 125 grain head would be fine.....does any one know anything about dirtnap broad heads....

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
HMMMMM,
You have a BH that's been around forever and is very proven and you want to change to the latest and hopefully greatest. Just my opinion but those TH's will do just fine. I would recommend filing the tip to a needle point sharpness!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
If I was going to want to shoot a 125gr screw in, the only one I would consider is a Magnus and I prefer the buzzcut. I can't think of any 125gr single bevels, there might be but I wouldn't think they would be thick enough to offer the wide single bevel that makes a single bevel work well rotating through the animal.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
Like elkken, I have killed a slew of critters with T-Head 125's. I used them because I did not know how to  sharpen a two blade head, and my opinion was that it was better to have a razor sharp chisel point T-Head than it would be to have a not so sharp cut on contact head. I do believe that the cut on contact heads are a better choice for traditional equipment, if you can get them sharp emough. Over the years I have figured out how to get COC heads razor sharp, so I no longer use the T-Heads.

Bisch

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
Like Elken and Bisch, I killed a lot of critters with Thunderheads.  They are well built, reliable broadsheads.  However, I used bows that were almost 20 pounds heavier and pass thru's were the exception rather then the norm. With both the light poundage bow and light arrows you are using I'd recommend finding a cut on impact broadhead.  Also, you might want to increase the total arrow weight if you plan on hunting thick skinned or large animals.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©