3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gear check for elk season  (Read 207 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Gear check for elk season
« on: June 22, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
  =http://s22.photobucket

URL=http://s22.photobucket.com/user/TimAntoine/media/imagejpg3_zps1e561f6b.jpg.html]  [/URL]

URL=http://s22.photobucket.com/user/TimAntoine/media/imagejpg2_zpse9132856.jpg.html]  [/URL]

We hiked the Applachian Trail Mt Rogers / Whitetop area in order to do a gear check for elk season. I sold my kifaru longhunter after my last hunt. I bought a tenzing 5000 and packed everything but my bow, food and a couple extras. I really liked the pack for the first gear check.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gear check for elk season
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
I too did a dry run hike yesterday for my upcoming elk hunt. I also have a Kenzing pack but mine is the tz1200 because I will be on an outfitted hunt. Still wanted to try everything and check my shooting with the pack on. So far, so good.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
I think you have enough dogs, which is important.  Got to have some buddies out there.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
I've been doing the same thing last couple weeks. Hard to get any hill work in here in SC. Sure do get some funny looks going up and down the raod. Even had the local cop stop and ask me where I was heading. Said no where,  just walking around.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Yep, we are dog poor. Two stayed at the house so we had 4 with us. We had to cut our hike short, the old beagle just cannot pull the hills anymore. He is good for the first mile or two but I was worried I was going to get him to the truck.  He has the heart but his hiking days are behind him.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Elk season will br upon us very soon. This summer is flying by. As always im am looking forward to chasing them around the colorado mountains.
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Jeff, we should of camped this weekend. As we were walking,  Tonya said she wanted to get another summer tent.  There is a bunch of nice camp spots on Whitetop.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I've been packing 50 lbs of dumb bells at least 3 miles at least 3 times a week. I must be doing better as folks have quit stopping to ask if I need a ride.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Brad, I think hiking with your pack is the best training especially in the mountains. I also do some other things, step ups, lunges, mountain athlete stuff. There is a thing called a altitude mask. Nothing like getting use to no air above 10000 ft. I use to hunt with 60lbs, then 57 lbs. I made adjustments to get my pack weight under 40 lbs.

Offline craig burris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
What do u carry in your pack? To get. It to 47#
Archery is: Getting as far away from the target as you can, and still hit it.
Bowhunting is: Getting as close to the target as you can, and not miss!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
I will give an example of a couple of items. I cut weight  where ever I can.  My bag is. Western mountaineering badger, I like the shoulder width with he rating of 15 degrees. You have to use down vs synthetic and be careful with moisture. My tent is a hilliberg Akto. My pad is a thermarest neo air. Platypus gravity water system.  I scrutinize all my gear and weigh it to the ounce.  I had a kifaru 4 man tipi with stove but I could cut weight and be more mobile using the hilliberg.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©