3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming Guys, question on 50# minimum for elk  (Read 659 times)

Re: Wyoming Guys, question on 50# minimum for elk
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
NOT ALL WARDENS ARE PROFESSIONAL AND REASONABLE--NEVER -- NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING --
gAME wARDENS AREN'T GAME WARDENS --  THEY ARE pEOPLE wARDENS --   THINK ABOUT IT--  
nEVER FORGET YOUR RIGHTS--
wE ARE THE REAL PROTECTORS OF THE GAME--  
I always ask them -- what are the ten amendmanets to the bill of rights--   most only know two-- !   learn them - know them-- !
RT

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
This debate is exactly why I lead the elimination of minimum draw weights for bowhunting in Kentucky several years ago. I was in the perfect position to do this and it was EXTREMELY easy to change.

I despise unenforceable or unenforced regulations. Most officers do as well (I was a commissioned (but not trained) wildlife officer as well).

Bowhunters don't read regulations to educate themselves about what gear should be effective or not. They go to other sources (friends, books, forums, Bowhunter Ed, and best of all...experience). Bowhunters want to be successful. They want to make clean kills. They don't want to spend countless and even fruitless hours/days tracking a weakly hit animal.

These are the kinds of decisions that should be left to the hunter.

I'd rather have someone that knows his/her equipment and abilities in the hunting fields. That's far preferable than someone who rarely practices, can't tune equipment, and is hoping for a huge dose of "feel's right luck" when the time too shoot arrives. Those are the folks who's tale of the hunt start with something like, "I stuck two today...."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
agreed

ChuckC

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Whoa!  No need to shout. I get it; the government is the enemy.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
That's right, they are out to get you and spoil your day.
ChuckC

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
I also hear they like to kick puppies.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
A paint pen can alter a bow. However, we are trying to ethically harvest an animal as large as an elk. I like the 50 pound designation so I believe as ethical archers we should try and stay at 50 pounds or above. If you truly draw 50 pounds or more with a lighter marked bow, then I believe I would definitely change it on my bow. End of problem.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
Interesting topic, I will be hunting elk in WY this fall, Lord willing, but with a 65# recurve so no worries there.  If questioned, I will have the warden draw the bow - absolutely no doubt it is way over 50#.  When I drew my NH moose tag a few years ago, I had to borrow a bow with at least 60# draw to be legal (from Tradganger Fletcher).  I have always been a game warden magnet, so I wasn't surprised when I came out of the swamp the first night and there were two wardens waiting for me at my truck.  They were impressed that anybody still hunts with a recurve and briefly looked at the limbs where the draw weight was listed, then checked my tags and wished me luck.  Visual check only.

Most of the game wardens I meet are decent people, with one exception in over 35 years of hunting.  One warden in Utah was so helpful that he shared his hotspots, which directly led to me killing my first elk, and we have hunted together several times in other states.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©