3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for D10 / D97 stringmakers  (Read 377 times)

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for D10 / D97 stringmakers
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
I simply can't decide what to do...I have built several B50 strings and would like to buy some more "modern" materials for my bows that are made for it. I had myself convinced that D97 would be perfect...not too expensive and loved by many. However, after a fair bit of reading here, it seems many sing the praises of D10. Speed is not an issue, but quiet is. Seems a lot of folks are convinced D10 makes a quieter string. I assume this is because they're using fewer strands, resulting in less mass / vibration? I like the idea of spending a little less per spool (less $ per spool means more colors), but is it worth it? Should I just bite the bullet and spend the extra 6 bucks a spool? Is there another material all together I should be considering? Am I making this harder than it should be? Probably, I have a bad habit of that. Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for D10 / D97 stringmakers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
I over think stuff all the time so can relate.  You will be happy with either one IMO.  I started with 8125 and then bought into the hype for D10 and got that and am happy with it though, truthfully, there wasn't anything wrong with the strings I made with the 8125.  Never tried D97, 8125G, 8190, or any others,  I like the strings I make out of D10 and really don't need to experiment anymore.  I only make 2-3 strings a year anyway so two 1/8# spools will last a long time (two bundle strings).  Pick what you think you'll like and don't look back.  In the long run cost really isn't much of a factor.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I have been shooting D97 for years. I tried D10 (now called Force 10 Crossbow String Material) and did not like it as much. Probably more because I have used the D97 for so long and di not want to make to small changes I was going to have to make, tuning-wise. I went back to the D97 and am good to go.

Bisch

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
I am a novice string maker and have been using D97.  I have to say, my bows are really quiet after going to this stuff - much quiter that any store bought fast flight.  Making my longbow strings unpadded and 12 strands, and my recurve strings with strands padded to 18 using B50.  Again - total rookie here with probably a dozen strings under my belt, but I will definitely keep using the D97.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
D10 is great stuff.  Nothing wrong with D97.  Also consider Brownells 'Rhino'.  My favorite material.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
The difference in Dynaflight '97 and Force 10 (Dynaflight 10)material is slight.  SK75 Dyneema vs. SK78 Dyneema.  Strand count, how the string is made, how the bow is tuned, etc. will matter more.  Contact BCY directly for verification on this--great folks, easy to talk to, no "proprietary" secrets.

That said, the best material on the market for durability, quiet shot, consistency, etc. is BCY-X (SK90 Dyneema with 17% Vectran).  It's not cheap, but break it down to a per-string cost and the difference is minimal.  Shoot me an e-mail or pm and I'll help you get started cheaper than you could otherwise.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
I agree with Chad on the BCY X.  I'm shooting 18 strand "X" with loops padded to 24 on my Hill bows without silencers....very quiet.

bowhuntingrn - if you want some D97 (and maybe some D10), send me a pm and I'll let you know what I've got to get you started.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
How does the BCY X compare to D97 and D10 for strand strength and dia?
Thanks

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Chad / Rob, PM's sent.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
X is almost 1/2 the diameter of Dynaflight '97.  I liked 12 strands of Dynaflight (18 in the loops for Flemish), takes 20 strands of X to get a similar diameter string.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
Thanks!

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
If your experience is mostly with Dacron, I would suggest trying 450+. The strand size and feel is about the same.

Changing to different materials requires some adjustments in length and twist.

450 has great qualities all around, as has many folks who love it, too. Nothing wrong with 97, either!

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Just had a D-97 string made at Compton's over the week-end. It came out at 57", end of top loop to end of bottom loop, which was perfect. Put it on my bow at night, and in the morning it stretched 3/8's of an inch.

Is this normal for D-97 ?

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
I picked up some BCY-X and love it. I was using D-10 and D-97 prior to this.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
As long as there are OCD string makers around, this debate will continue.  Fortunately we have so many good choices to pick from now.  Whether you are in the Brownell or BCY camp, I believe to some extent that the best material depends on the conditions and usage.  Also, how one perceives blended materials versus non-blended. Until you have shot and handled a lot of materials, it may be a bit subjective.

In the past we have had good results with D10 and XS2.  However recently Allen has been tying mostly Brownell RHINO for our clients.  After a lot of research we have found them to be quiet bullet-proof, with superior speed, strength, and durability.  Also, very little if any creep or fraying. 12 strands is what we use for most hunting weight bows.

Diameter for diameter, HMPE can provide better strength than other materials.  As an added feature for the string purist... our RHINO bikini strings are 100% HMPE.     :archer2:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
"Just had a D-97 string made at Compton's over the week-end. It came out at 57", end of top loop to end of bottom loop, which was perfect. Put it on my bow at night, and in the morning it stretched 3/8's of an inch.

Is this normal for D-97 ? "

It's common for any string that wasn't pre-stretched--especially Flemish.

"Diameter for diameter, HMPE can provide better strength than other materials."

That can vary a lot depending on the brand and grade of HMPE.

BCY's 8190 is 100% SK90 Dyneema (HMPE).  BCY-X is 87% SK90 Dyneema and 17% Vectran.  In a 20 strand string with either one, the difference diameter is negligible as is the breaking strength.  SK90 is the highest grade Dyneema available.  

However, the BCY-X string will have less stretch and creep, especially in higher temps/on heavier draw weights.  That is where the 17% Vectran in it really shines.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
My experience is....

D97 is good but a bit noisier on recurves.

D10 is equally as good and a touch quieter on recurves.

I believe this is due to the face that D10 is a bit softer to the touch and make less of a snap when the string hits the limbs. (string slap) For longbows I dont think it will make a noticeable difference.

Just my opinion and experience...

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 05:58:00 AM »
On LBR's recommendation at te Howard Hill shoot, I twisted up a 20 strand BCY-X string and padded the loops to 24. That stuff surprised me on how quiet it was and how little creep it had, even when stretching it. It blends well and seems to work great. I have only used  D-97, D-10, and B-50 prior to this and only built strings from the D-10 and B-50, but this BCY-X seems to be a better material for me.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
Hockey.  It's normal if the string wasn't stretched much in the construction process.  However, should settle in soon and not stretch after that.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
even a "FF" string will settle some...but it stops its migration much quicker than similar made B50.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©