3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Comptons?  (Read 474 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Comptons?
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
How was it this year?

Post some photo's for those of us that couldn't make it.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Comptons?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:01:00 AM »
Was a great time
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »
We actually took some time off from the booth this year and shot all four courses.

Those guys at BSCC do a great job on the targets and on the course design.

Saw a lot of old friends and clients.

Met lots of new friends and signed up some clients for hunts.

Replenished all our archery supplies.

Grandson Luke and I learned a lot and had a blast.

It's an annual for us for certain.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:17:00 AM »
Irv is right...the course(s) were awesome!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
The wife and I had a great time.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
It was a great time.  4 nice courses, decent turnout of vendors and weather was not bad at all.  Thats all I need!

Some pics here:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000048
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Had a good time.  Weather was pretty good.  No tents blown over. Numbers are definitely down from what they were several years ago, but I am hearing this from most shoots.  I'd estimate that about 70% of the camping sites were occupied.  In previous years you would be hard-pressed to find a spot by Saturday pm.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Some rain but no wind so that was good. Not as many campers this year. Heard that some showed up the weekend before thinking it was on father's day. Courses were really nice and we had a great group of campers.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
I know that a friend of mine is a vendor and he showed up the weekend before.  He went back and set up the actual weekend.  He thought the attendance was down a bit from previous years.

Anyone with photos??

Wife and I couldn't make it as we were on a week long bicycle ride that week in hilly and hot Ohio.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Great weekend. Crowd was great we think it was better turnout than last year
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
I was going to go on Friday, but the weather looked iffy. Turns out it rained by me in Grand Rapids, but the weather at the show was nice.

Instead, I went down Saturday with my two oldest girls. It was a shopping mission, for I intended to get them all set up with a couple bows and youth arrows. I also intended to do some shopping myself and I brought down about 8 different bows to trade, if possible.

The girls and I looked around at the kids stuff, but ended up where I figured we would, at the St. Joe River Bows booth. Tracey got us all decked out with a couple youth bows and two dozen matched youth arrows. I also picked up some youth hip quivers.

A big thanks to Tracey for taking extra time with the girls and showing them some shooting tips for girls vs. boys. My girls were extra excited when I showed them the interview with Tracey in the new Traditional Bowhunter magazine. A brush with fame!    ;)  

For myself, I bought one the Asbell wool zipper jackets in what I believe they call the new "morning mist" pattern. It's like an olive and tan/oatmeal pattern. I got it extra big, to use as an outer layer on cold days.

I went to Zepnut's tent and he still had the mint 1963 Kodiak Special that he got from me a few years ago. That bow has been one that I've regretted getting rid of and the serendipitous karma of finding that bow again and getting it back was undeniable. That '63 Kodiak Special came home with me.

Then I went over to Big Jim's tent and got all tingly when my eye's ran across a "new" Bear "1959" Kodiak in a non-catalog 30lb weight. It turns out it was a "missed weight" bow. Either way, Bear doesn't make one in 30lbs. With 4 kids and my own shoulder problems, that bow was coming home with me. So, I essentially traded Big Jim a team of nice old Bear bows for one super star player. Dollar wise, Jim got the better of the deal, but he's not there for charity, and having owned my own sporting goods store, I know he needs to make money on any trade and he may sit on the bows I traded him for a while. But the bottom line is, I got a bow that I'd never thought I'd see, a 30lb "'59" that I can put a fast flight on and that alone was worth the deal.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
Oh, I forgot, I also bought a B-50 string for my 1957 Kodiak from the fellow in the tent at 3 o' clock on the outside right side, as you walk into the exhibit field. He made one for me in red, gold and black. Super nice looking string.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
It was a VERY good event this year. There was a permeating 'happy' vibe. Everyone I talked to was pleasant and having a good time.

The crowd was down, but I guess the right people showed up.

The weather was as perfect as I can remember there and the river was in full flow. I sat an watched it running its course for quite a while one morning.

Many long time friends and some new ones were there - and as normal - there just wasn't enough time to spend with everyone.

I overheard Mojostick talking about that '59 there as well.   :)

It was the most I have enjoyed a shoot in a long time.

Many thanks to all the hard work and sweat that went into making it so good.

Thanks to all the workers and thanks to all the folks who attended.

:thumbsup:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
We had a great time this year, as vendors and Comptons members. Our sales were much better than last year, and I was able to put bows and arrows into the hands of many youngsters and a few adult shooters, as well. Everyone seemed to be having a relaxed, good time. Dr Ashby gave an entertaining talk, and I spent an enjoyable time talking with him, and many others in camp.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
I got to bring my wife with me for the first time, since the show was a week later this year (she is a school teacher and it usually lands her last week of class). We both had a great time, though I didn't bring my bow. We walked one of the courses, making me wish I would have paid for an additional checked bag to bring to pack it along. From a vendor standpoint (if you're a vendor who didn't attend, take note), it was very busy. Lots of people hauling bows out to the shooting range and sales were really good. I appreciate all of the support you guys showed me.
The only bummer I can think of was I wasn't able to find a firefly to show my wife that I'd promised her she would get to see. Oh well, there is always next year!

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
I had a great time at Compton. The Compton and Berrien Springs host club do a great job with this event.

I shot a Stalker while I was there and thought the fit/finish was excellent and it shot very well.

Thanks South for letting me try the bow. I was impressed.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
I looked forward all year to come up to Comptons.....at the last minute my boss "suggested" that I better make a decision as to what was more important.....I espescially wanted to meet and talk to South Cox......I need one of his bows "BAD !!!!"......well , maybe I will have to go to the left coast on a fact finding mission.......glad every one had a good time.......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Had a GOOD time at Compton …I did not vend this year but instead spent time with my four grand sons who are crazy about shooting

When i could pull them away from collecting cans from around the camp grounds  (which they turned in for money at the local grocery store) we shot the courses. We had fun.

Had a chance to take in Dr Ed Ashby seminar on FOC  and attend his talk on Friday night. Between Todd Smith and myself I think we were able to video both. If we got every thing on film they will appear on my web site in the near future. Dr Ashby "key note" speech about the "Old Derelict  Bowhunter" was funny and entertaining .

Had a chance to visit with Ron Swartz of KME  Ron is hard at it and adding new accessories for his knife sharpening kit. I am looking forward for these additions to hit the market. I have found his sharpeners to be the best for the TuffHead if a major sharpening is required

While the weather was funky part of the time it did not slow people from renewing old friendships or making new acquaintances. People were coming and going at our campsite all weekend. WE ALL HAD A GREAT TIME
Joe Furlong

Offline justracey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 06:52:00 AM »
It was a great weekend. I love getting a chance to visit with every one
Just get outside and blow the stink off!!!

www.stjoeriverbows.com

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
South,

Really glad I had a chance to meet you and listen to your presentation.

I could not believe how well you bow's grips fit my hand.

I suspect we will be having a conversation soon.
Irv Eichorst

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©