3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw length and weight  (Read 271 times)

Offline Fireman2019

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw length and weight
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:08:00 AM »
Ok...I have had my new Black Widow PCHx for a week.  It's my first trad bow in 17 years. I ordered it at 57#'s @ 28".  My arrows are 30" easton axis trads with 75grn insert and 125grn field point.  While having a buddy do a slow mo video of my form I noticed that at my anchor (under my cheek bone) I only had an inch of arrow in front of the riser.  So I think I'm drawing closer to 29"s.  The anchor is very comfortable and I am hitting and holding it without any issues.  Could some one give me an idea on what the draw weight is at 29" (I don't have a scale). I moved back to 20yds today and was able to consistently keep the arrows in the 4" bullseye.  I felt like the bow pointed better at that distance as opposed to 10 yds.
Craig
Stalker Wolverine FXT 50@28”
English Walnut and Cocobolo
Black Widow PCHx 51@28"
Zircote and Tiger Myrtle

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw length and weight
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:24:00 AM »
Generally add 2.5-3 pounds/inch, 60# actual weight.
 It 's possible that your variation between 10 and 20 yards could be due to your anchor point on your cheek not lining up your arrow under your eye. This creates an angle between your anchor and arrow in relation to the target.  You could be compensating for this with the cant of your bow at 20 yards so you hit the target, but impact can change.at other ranges if the angle is not compensated.  Just a guess.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
I have noticed that Black Widow offers closer tolerances on draw weight for an additional fee so we need to know which option you selected...for a good read on how various bows react past a 28 inch draw take a look at peteward.com...Pete often records draw weight to 30 inches or beyond...great idea having the video of your dynamic draw length recorded as a baseline...my guess would be that as you condition your muscles to drawing that bow your dynamic draw length could grow as much as another inch...seems like you are a strong guy to handle that much draw weight starting back...I am an old, poorly conditioned guy and my draw length can easily vary an inch depending on how ambitious I am feeling

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Fireman2019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
I am switching from 20 years of shooting a compound/release and always anchored behind my jaw.  My index finger is snugged under cheek bone.  If I moved my hand forward a bit it would put my middle finger right at the corner of my mouth which is where I have gathered a lot of guys anchor.  What feels good to me may not be the best way though.  So I am open to adjusting it if need be.
Craig
Black Widow PCHx 51@28"
Zircote and Tiger Myrtle

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
If your holding four inches, there is probably no reason to change your anchor point, IMO.

AMO standards allows quite a bit of fudge room between actual weight and marked weight.  That appeals to the bigger manufacturers who build a bow at 35, 40, 45, 50, etc.  It's convenient for their marketing to use those set numbers.  When you actually scale the bows they can show some variation.

Simplest way to determine the draw weight is to take it in to a shop and scale it.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
A pound or two either way is not an issue.  Variations in draw weight from 28" also depends upon the bow length and maker.  I have two sets of BlackMax carbon limbs in the long length.  Both sets add 2# going from 28" to 29".  I suspect this because it is a 64" bow.
To add to what Monterey stated, I have yet to find a set of limbs marked "45#" that were actually 45#.  Usually 1-3# heavier.  Unless it is a custom bow, the makers don't put the time in to remove a bit of limb edge in order to bring it to exact poundage.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Fireman2019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
It's a Black Widow.  Ordered it at 57#'s +or-1#.  I'm not concerned about the weight that I'm pulling. Just was curious as to what an inch of draw increase would add.  After shooting today the arrows were very slightly nock left.  I now what to do to correct that issue though.
Craig
Black Widow PCHx 51@28"
Zircote and Tiger Myrtle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©