3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you remember your first bow?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you remember your first bow?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
My first bow was a Native American horse bow made for my Dad when he was a kid. As far as I know the bow is about 80 years old. It has been a wall hanger for the last 40 years because I'm afraid it will break.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
My first bow was made from Moma's shade stick I took from the living room. My first real hunting bow was a Ben Pearson green fiberglass takedown, came apart in the handle. My cousin still has that bow.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
It was a Ben Pearson Gamester at 45# that I got in 1969 or thereabouts. I killed my first deer with it. I still have that little bow and hope some day that my grandson will hunt with it.
Sam

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
For me an old bear longbow 52@28 passed down to me by my uncle late 70's, thanks Uncle Ben. After 2 years of practice I hunted deer for the first time in 1980 in Michigan and was fortunate enough to harvest a 120# doe on my second sit with that bow, I watched her fall. Still can visualize that hunt like it was yesterday and see the sun setting over the hill top. I was hooked for life. Passed that bow on to a younger cousin.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
I was 6 or 7. My Grandpa, who I idolized bought me a little red wood bow with several arrows, some with broadheads.  Before we visited so he could give it to me, he shot a rabbit in his garden with it. He wasn't a bowhunter, but he was the kind of hero who could pull that off!  Grandma and Mom scolded him and made him put those "dangerous" broadhead arrows away before I could damage something with them! (he did show them to me!)  He fell over dead when I was 10, so this was before 1956! The bow and arrows disappeared then.

I became a broadhead collector in 1976.  I've often wondered since about those broadheads, which have appeared in my dreams as the rarest of the rare!!  In the late 80s, I was living in Michigan and acting as the family caregiver for my Grandma in Ohio.  As we cleaned out her very old home before it was sold, I crawled every inch of that crawl space and attic and searched EVERY millimeter where that old stuff might have been!  
Even digging in the dirt floor of the crawl space hoping it somehow was covered by a service guy or something!

Thanks for the memories!
Tom

Offline Greyswampfox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
A 40# Indian Archery Senaca.  I bought it new at a flea market for  $12 when I was 11.   Still have it as a wall hanger.
Predator Hunter 50 @ 28
Palmer Classic 45 @ 28
Martin Hunter 55@28

Offline WAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
An old man by the name of Don Grey mentored my dad as a budding gun smith and maker of fine muzzle loaders. Don's son's where older than me and I inherited much of their outdoor gear. When I was 9yrs old Don gave me a 52" lemon wood long bow that pulled 32lbs. That was in 1969. I shot that bow a million times and terrorized every living thing within walking distance of my home.
1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be MEN of courage; be strong.

Offline ldhayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
I love hearing all these stories and reminiscing with everyone. Back when I started (late 60's) I didn't know anyone that hunted with a bow. My Dad had always deer hunted with a shotgun. He took up archery so I could deer hunt. Back then you had to be 14 to hunt deer with a gun in Michigan but you could hunt with a bow at 12. Although my Dad only hunted with a bow for a few years it was because he took the time to learn enough to get me started with a bow at an early age that I've had a lifelong love affair with a stick & string. I sure miss & cherish those early years.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
First was a Flexsteel, fiberglass limbs and steel riser. It didn't last long, Next was a Pearson Renegade, 46# and my first quarry was rabbits and rats. Really gave those rats hell at the local quail farm. Spent a lot of Saturdays shooting those rascals. Got the Renegade from Doug Kittridge's Bow Hut in the early 70's. Those were the days!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
My first was a Jerry Hill longbow.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
1962 7 yrs old yellow/white fiberglass bow that I still have. I shot at everything . My first serious bow was 1972 Bear Kodiak Hunter shot it till it broke in 1985.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Gav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Yep, I do. It was a Bear "Golden Bear" fiberglass 30# recurve. The limb tip broke and I filed new string grooves but it didn't shoot well any more. Mom threw it away. I caught one on **** to keep around for anyone who wanted to shoot but I have  not strung it up in years as others have taken its place.

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 11:13:00 PM »
Bear Archery Little Bear 20#@24" --- Christmas '76 when I was 10. Sadly, it and the Bear Grizzly I traded for went missing, but I replaced the Little Bear when my son became interested in archery.

Still looking for a 56" 30#@28" Bear Grizzly at a price I can sneak past the finance committee --- probably it'll be the next thing I save up for after I get my 3D printer up and running.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
Shakespeare solid glass B1 Hunter. My Grandparents gave it to my father sometime in the mid-late '50's and he said he played around with it a bit, but nothing serious.

I'd always admired it and one day asked Dad if I could use it. He gave it to me with the understanding I'd be responsible. After shooting it over and over again, and after killing my first deer with a gun at 14, I decided to hunt deer with that bow at 15. I never killed anything (except for a robin, but that's another story) with that bow. I still have it and am seriously thinking it needs to go hunting again.

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
My first bow was a solid fiberglass kids bow about 20 something pounds.Shot that all my childhood and then moved up to a Bear Minuteman when I started to deer hunt,Great memories,love to do it all over again.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
1960 when I was 10 years old. Green fiberglass Ben Pearson, 45#, killed a bunch of rabbits and such with it, then a couple of years later got a 55# Ben Pearson Ol Ben longbow, killed my first deer with it in 1965.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
My first "real" bow was a Herter's recurve bought at a yard sale around 30 years ago for $20. I broke it while stringing it (step through). I was not happy.

I replaced it with a ($25) 50lb Kodiak Mag. That bow survived me, being handed down to 2 or 3 brothers, and made it's way back to me earlier this year.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
1961 Bear Red Fox. We lived very close to the Indiana Michigan line. My dad took me to see Mr Bear a few times after that but on this visit Mr Fred handed me my first real bow. I still have it and the stories that little bow could tell. Its still very shootable and is working on training the third generation (my grandkids)
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
First bows - one red fiberglass Bear and a tan Ben Pearson Jet fiberglass. Both set up with moulded black RH handles    :mad:  Around 1971.

First "real" bow was a LH mid 70's Bear Super Grizzly bought with money earned working in the tobacco fields.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Ben Pearson bronco
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©