3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you remember your first bow?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you remember your first bow?
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
This is not my first bow, but is exact same model, draw weight, color etc... as my first real bow. Had a little red Shakespeare fiberglass one before it but I just shot arrows up in the air with it. I bought this one on flea bay a couple of years ago and took my first fish and my first archery turkey with it. Trying to do the things with I it that I didn't know I could do with a bow when I was a teen and didn't know a single adult that bow hunted. I'm hoping maybe to shoot a deer with it one of these days!

David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »
My first bow was a 25# green glass with yellow handle and tips . Got it in 1962 , had my first kill in 1964 , was a 13 stripe ground squirrel . I have the pic of that some where but can't find it .
My first huntin bow was a Bear Cub that I bought off a friend for $5.00 , still have it .    :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Absolutely. My first was a Ben Pearson 30# longbow in 1955 when I was 11. My parents gave it to me for Christmas along with the back quiver, arrows, target, arm guard and glove. My best gift. I've never been without a bow since then.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »
First bow was a 25# solid fiberglass bow followed by a Bear golden fox-another fiberglass bow that was 45#. Shot my first deer with it in '65 when I was 14, lost the deer but found the skeleton a few months later with the BH right along the spine. Biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods-10 point with matching drops, still have the antlers as a reminder to never quit a trail until all options are exhausted.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
My dad was a member of the local archery club and I have a B/W photo of me shooting with him about 1960 when I was four. I had various lemonwood bows growing up and about 9 or 10 I got a Bear Little Bear that he won on a punch card at work.  I still have that bow hanging on the rack and all of my kids have grown up shooting it and I have a granddaughter getting ready for it.

My first real "Man Bow" was a Stemmler that I worked for all summer by getting up hay and digging fence holes. I was probably 14-15 then.

Offline Workaholic1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
My first bow was a 1966 Bear Alaskan, 35#, 66".  Got it back in '82, when i was 12.  Family friend was cleaning out his garage, asked me if I wanted it.  Shot it every summer for the next 4 years, with some arrows Dad picked up at the local Otasco, until high school, farm work, and the after school job became more of a priority.  Work and family became the main focus up until a few years ago, when I pulled it out of the closet, and started looking to find some arrows that would tune for it.  Then, back to a wall hanger for the last 2 years while I was in Guam (didn't want to take it with me).  Now that I'm back in the states, it's time to take it back down, and continue where I left off.
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Of course like many here my first was a stick I bent and tied a string to it, around age 8.

My first "real" bow was a Ben Pearson Cougar. I killed the first live deer I ever saw with that bow at age 16 in Brown County, Indiana.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
A red Bear fiberglass recurve was waiting under the christmas tree when I was in my seventh year of life. I had many great adventures with that bow and many (trophies) came to bag, milk jugs were one of my favorites. I even brought down one of the family chickens ( spot and stalk) even though my folks did not quite see it in the same light as I did, I still suffer from the flashback of my punishment and I beleive it has effected my turkey hunting with the bow to some extent. That little bow forged a fondness for things wild and the freedom to be somewhat wild myself, a gripping thing that I cannot shake to this day.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
When I was about 8 or 9 for Christmas I got a yellow fiberglass York bow which I took out Christmas morning wearing my pajamas and slippers and shot a cardboard box in the snow a few times before my Mother called me in . I carried that bow everywhere . Shot birds and some ducks and even my first big game animal , a muskrat with it . I then saved up my money and ordered an Indian "Deerslayer " recurve from a Cabela's paper sales flyers around 1966 for $32.00 And even though it was a "Deerslayer" I wasn't . Took me several years to get my first deer .
Greyfox54

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
My first bow would not fit in this forum very well. It had training wheels!   :dunno:    :dunno:

Anyway, after I was able to ditch the training wheels, my first trad bow was an old used Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve. That bow was soooooooooooo slow! When I got my first custom bow, a Palmer recurve, I knew I was hooked on this trad sruff for good!

Bisch

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
My first bow, which I still have today, is a 1965 Herter's Perfection (55# @ 28") that I bought from a friend for $5 back in 1970.

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
My Grandfatherstopped at a little store by Turkey Run State park in Indiana and bought me a little white fiberglass bow that came with 3 arrows with suction cups. I was 3 years old and I had a blast with that bow, so I owe it to them for my life long passion for bow and arrow. I have never been with out a bow since! Thanks Gramps
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
My dad bought my little brother and I red fiberglass bows, each 3 fiberglass arrows...
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I have to count the first hickory sapling bow, made at a Cub scout meeting, because it made me want to be on the side of the Indians instead of the cowboys. First manufactured bow was a red fiberglass recurve, kit, from the local HW store on my 10th birthday.  All-time favorite birthday gift, even if I DID think it was longbow and strung it backwards for a few months.  First laminated recurve was a Bear Cub, 45#, bought when I was twelve from picking up tobacco ground leaves.
Jim

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
First bow was one of those Red Bear fiberglass models.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline Ed Bennett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
I got my first bow, a Cravotta Brothers Black Hawk 45 lb. recurve, back in 1958 or 1959. I lived across the street, in Pitcairn, Pa., from a fellow named Honas Baird, who worked for Cravotta Brothers Archery in East McKeesport, Pa. I was 14 yrs. old and Honas told me that if I would help clean up at the business a couple hours a night sweeping floors and such that I would earn a new bow and some arrows. My Dad gave me the go ahead and I hunted deer for the first time with a bow that fall.

Offline Napi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
It is a early seventies Kodiak Hunter, 40#@28" and I'm pleased to say I still have it. I'd like to refinish it someday but it's still in pretty good shape considering its age.

Offline Napi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
The very first was an all-wood VERY lightweight bow that came with arrows that had the tips painted black.  No metal, just paint.  Then a solid glass Indian that I shot until I joined the Marines.  When I got out, my younger brothers had made that one disappear.  My wife bought me a Shakespeare Super Necedah on our first Christmas, my first REAL bow.  I have no problem remembering it.  I still shoot it 3,4,5 times a week!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
My first trad bow was a Red Wing Hunter and it blow up 6 weeks later. That was a cool little bow, wish I still had it . But it sparked my Trad bow addiction at 18 yrs old never  had a year in the woods I did not carry a recurve after that.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©